hybrid build plan with dog

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

hybrid build plan with dog

Postby brsutton86 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:47 am

Im getting ready to start my hybrid build probably this weekend. Going to do the NL with pods. Once the boats done, Im building a 6.5 shorty for it also. I have a 5 hp outboard and trolling motor I can use if I want too. I was going to have a dog box behind my cockpit. But im afraid with the mudmotor my dog would be in the way. And with pods and a dog box it would make the boat super long. Ive seen pics of hybrids with pods and with dog boxes but not on the same boat. So do some you have your dog just lay down in the front riding out. Once I get to where I hunt I can use a dog stand/platform or do you think I should stick with having her own cockpit? Wanting to get a final plan before I start at all.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Re: hybrid build plan with dog

Postby hebronhunter » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:04 pm

Good questions! I just ordered the plans and I'm having the same thoughts. I'll also be ordering a 6hp ppf motor before the season I hope. I really want a dog box so my girl can hunt behind me, and want pods to help support the motor... 60lbs. At the same time I want to keep the total weight as low as possible and not sure about operating the mud motor with the dog box in the way. In thinking a 10ft boat with maybe 10 inch pods? How about you, are you doing 10'?
hebronhunter
Newb

Postby brsutton86 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:29 am

My buddy and I built 10 ft boats with additional 8" pods. Got them zip tied up and PL'd tonight. Ill be glassing the inside Saturday. At the advice of others, my dog will ride out up in front of me. Adds weight to the front and shes not in the way for the motor. Then she'll move back to her spot once we're setup and ready to hunt.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

brsutton86
hunter

Postby jackh » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:57 am

Please post pictures of your build. I am looking to build a similar setup with a dog box, just no pods and no motor.
jackh
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:16 am

So far this is all I've got. Will be glassing the inside tomorrow. This dang boat is costing me sleep! I stay up thinking of different ways to do things or ideas for it. Its been fun so far. Already have the inside supports cut but not putting them in until the whole bottom is glassed. Ive seen a boat that on the sides of the dog box they closed them off, and out floatation in them. Might be something to consider if your not using pods.
Attachments
PicsArt_1406301120045.jpg
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

brsutton86
hunter

Postby shsuhunter » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:55 am

its looking good man!
shsuhunter
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:29 pm

Inside glassed and taped. Was pretty simple for a first time glassing. The seams were a pain but, but overall pretty simple for an average joe.
Attachments
PicsArt_1406571962117.jpg
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

brsutton86
hunter

Postby sharris » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:14 pm

Looks good. I built my first NL as per the instructions and then had a bunch of ideas to improve the boat, so I built a much better one the following summer. Have fun with your build and keep posting pictures. .
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 11
Dove: 4
sharris
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:32 am

Got a little more done. But leaving for vacation so itll be sittin here lonely for another week. Have to work fast when I get, only a few weeks left before early season! The board to lay on in the pic was just a scrap piece I threw in there to see how I would lay, and how much room I had. The front nose is on too but didnt take a pic of that yet.
Attachments
PicsArt_1406788887744.jpg
PicsArt_1406788962286.jpg
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

brsutton86
hunter

Postby sharris » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:10 am

Are you going to put on an ammo shelf? If so, now would be a good time to get it done before the sides are on.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
sharris
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:35 am

Yes, I am going to put a shelf. Was trying to figure out about where I wanted it and how long but didnt get to it yet. Plan on putting some kind of cup holder too. For the shelf I was going to use scrap 1x4 and angle it backwards a tad leaving a tiny gap at back for water to drain. But havent put a piece in to make sure it will fit right. Leaving tomorrow to take the kids to the beach for the week, so itll be a bit before i do anymore work. But plan to have the whole boat done, paint, lights and all before Sept 1st. Gotta get it ready to scout for teal/woodies!
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

brsutton86
hunter

Postby rcatron » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:12 am

Boat looks to be coming along real well. Should be great for chasing woodies and teal on the river
rcatron
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:33 am

rcatron wrote:Boat looks to be coming along real well. Should be great for chasing woodies and teal on the river

Going more for an advantage on public land around here for when im not holding birds on ponds. Didnt and wont put it on ky hunting trying to keep my advantage.....haha! Have a couple spots I couldnt get to or hide in my big boat. Going for a new approach. Also will be nice setting up in some of my ponds. Several are so dang deep, you cant put the spread farther than 15 feet from bank. Just hoping the things float for now! It has been very fun building. Got back from vacation Saturday and we worked on them quite a bit yesterday. Plan to hit it hard again tonight. Should be ready for glassing the sides, front and bottom after tonight. Gotta alot of sanding to do in the mean time. Think Ill name it Steel Shootin'
Attachments
PicsArt_1407778360929.jpg
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

brsutton86
hunter

Postby rcatron » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:57 pm

Haha. I don't blame you. But don't take offense when I start seeing your pictures of full limits and steal some of your design ideas next summer. I've been wanting to do one of these for a while and should finally have time next year.
rcatron
hunter

Postby sharris » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:13 pm

Boat is looking good! :thumbsup:
HR Annie Git Your Gun
sharris
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:34 pm

Ive been wanting to build one for 3 years. Finally talked a hunting buddy into building with me. Not much of a loner bird hunting. Anyways, she's all sanded. Gotta a little filleting to do with bondo, and finish the pods then im ready to fiberglass the rest of the boat! I can't wait to float it....
Attachments
PicsArt_1407814131875.jpg
PicsArt_1407814086826.jpg
PicsArt_1407814052699.jpg
PicsArt_1407814021110.jpg
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

brsutton86
hunter

Postby DuckMulisha13 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:54 am

Where did u get the plans from? I've PMed the one guy on here 2 or 3 times and never gotten a reply. I did order one of those gator duckhunter plans.. But That's gonna be a winter/after season project
DuckMulisha13
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:12 pm

http://www.hybridduckboat.com

MissedAgain doesnt get on DHC much anymore I dont think. But that site is where you order the plans. You can get on the refuge forums and theres over a 100 pages of a hybrid thread. Question and asnwers, and pics.

Ive been swamped lately, and not worked on the boat. All is left is glassing top and bottom and its ready for a float test and final paint/add ons.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

brsutton86
hunter

Postby DuckMulisha13 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:24 am

brsutton86 wrote:http://www.hybridduckboat.com

MissedAgain doesnt get on DHC much anymore I dont think. But that site is where you order the plans. You can get on the refuge forums and theres over a 100 pages of a hybrid thread. Question and asnwers, and pics.

Ive been swamped lately, and not worked on the boat. All is left is glassing top and bottom and its ready for a float test and final paint/add ons.

I found the plans man, thanks for pointing me in the right direction...you look like your coming along awesome man, keep it up!
DuckMulisha13
hunter

Postby DuckBlindFloats » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:03 pm

Wow, that looks incredible!
DuckBlindFloats
Newb

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds