The hybrid duck boat plans

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: The hybrid duck boat plans

Postby sharris » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:04 am

That's a good point regarding strength and weight of the braces. Really, are braces even needed in this size boat? My boat is plenty stiff and I took the front frame almost completely out to give me more room and to make it easier to fiberglass the inside. I just put enough frame material in so I could have a spot to screw in the front deck. If you will feel better adding more frame then go ahead and do it. The fun of these boats is they are each custom and should be built the way YOU want.

Here is my boat build in case you want to see my front frame modification.
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=230933
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 24
Dove: 4
Pheasant: 40
sharris
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:33 am

sharris wrote:That's a good point regarding strength and weight of the braces. Really, are braces even needed in this size boat? My boat is plenty stiff and I took the front frame almost completely out to give me more room and to make it easier to fiberglass the inside. I just put enough frame material in so I could have a spot to screw in the front deck. If you will feel better adding more frame then go ahead and do it. The fun of these boats is they are each custom and should be built the way YOU want.

Here is my boat build in case you want to see my front frame modification.
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=230933

Great looking boat SHarris! Did you use a bilge pump at all in your dog hole? Thought about dropping in one on mine. But a handpump bilge may be easier to deal with and all thats needed.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby sharris » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:09 am

There is a removable platform there made of 2X4's so the dog isn't sitting in the water. I then just use a big sponge to bail it out. Probably one of those hand pumps like kayakers use would work great. Last year the boat didn't get much use (late push of birds followed by an early freeze) so I might have to rethink things this year if it is a normal year and water starts to accumulate in the dog area. My first hybrid that I built was a standard NL and had the dog in the boat with me. That brought in a lot of water and was an annoyance so I fixed the problem on this boat.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
sharris
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:21 pm

Think ill get a handpump and throw it in. Definitely going to enclose the dog box. Orinally planned on making the platform 6" tall or so in dog box and sitting my dog blind on it to keep her concealed better. And I can stash gas tank under the platform. Ill play with that idea after its built.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

brsutton86
hunter

Postby sharris » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:54 pm

That's really tall given the height of the boat. Once you build the boat dump a gallon of water in the dog area and see how far up it goes and you'll see you don't need anywhere near a 6" platform. If you have 6" of water in the back it's because you are hunting with a swamp collie, like I do, who brings half of the lake back in the boat with her. A 2" platform is plenty and will be easier to hide the dog in.

This year I am going to modify my dog box and put a blind on it. I saw one somewhere that gave me an idea. I am going to make a W out of PVC and put it on a hinge so the dog can lay down and have her head stick out. Then I'll add some mesh and grass for camouflage.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
sharris
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:02 pm

The reason for the 6" is to give her clearance to get in and out of the blind. Ill stick my rig em right blind in the hole after the build and keep it as low as possible, that was just a guess. But by using that blind, itll be easy to grass in.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

brsutton86
hunter

Postby Qback5 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:23 pm

That's a really nice build! So fun hunting out of them!
Qback5
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:37 pm

Qback5 wrote:Also, fiberglass can and has been used to adjoin two boards (without any braces)...and the joint is quite stiff.

It's truly amazing what some people will come up with to try to support their position. Good one, Qback. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Qback5 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:18 pm

mudpack wrote:
Qback5 wrote:Also, fiberglass can and has been used to adjoin two boards (without any braces)...and the joint is quite stiff.

It's truly amazing what some people will come up with to try to support their position. Good one, Qback. :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy!
Qback5
hunter

Previous

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds