Thinking about a new boat.

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Thinking about a new boat.

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:22 pm

http://www.xpressboats.com/view/hunting#awd18_anchor

So I've pretty much narrowed it down to that boat. My question is, will an evinrude etec 25hp (2-stroke) be enough motor to push it? I'm limited to 25hp areas so that's my only option motor wise.

I'm also interested in the 16ft version of that boat but would prefer the 18.
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:22 pm
Location: PA


Re: Thinking about a new boat.

Postby T Man » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:02 pm

PAwaterfowldominator wrote:http://www.xpressboats.com/view/hunting#awd18_anchor

So I've pretty much narrowed it down to that boat. My question is, will an evinrude etec 25hp (2-stroke) be enough motor to push it? I'm limited to 25hp areas so that's my only option motor wise.

I'm also interested in the 16ft version of that boat but would prefer the 18.


It will push it, but don't expect to win any speed contests.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
User avatar
T Man
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Everywhere the English language is being abused...

Re: Thinking about a new boat.

Postby skaneat » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:46 pm

If you put the 25hp etec on the 16 footer you will be pleasantly suprised. The etec have amazing hot shots, I have a 115hp etec on an 18 foot Duck Water Ocean (dry hull weight is 1450 pounds) and with 4 hunters, a shutload of gear, two dogs, and about 10 dozen magnum Herter burlap dekes, full tank of gas, the boat jumps on plan in a heart beat and did 38 mph to boot with a 17" pitch prop......I just can't say enough about the Evinrude Etec's. The 25hp tiller model is heavy for a 25, but it's my guess that it'll blow away any 40hp 4-stroke thats on the market.....best of luck to you!! :beer:
skaneat
hunter
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 5:09 am

Re: Thinking about a new boat.

Postby t_baker » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:15 pm

skaneat wrote:If you put the 25hp etec on the 16 footer you will be pleasantly suprised. The etec have amazing hot shots, I have a 115hp etec on an 18 foot Duck Water Ocean (dry hull weight is 1450 pounds) and with 4 hunters, a shutload of gear, two dogs, and about 10 dozen magnum Herter burlap dekes, full tank of gas, the boat jumps on plan in a heart beat and did 38 mph to boot with a 17" pitch prop......I just can't say enough about the Evinrude Etec's. The 25hp tiller model is heavy for a 25, but it's my guess that it'll blow away any 40hp 4-stroke thats on the market.....best of luck to you!! :beer:

That was not apples to apples
User avatar
t_baker
hunter
 
Posts: 8067
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Harrod Ohio

Re: Thinking about a new boat.

Postby uglymug » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:24 pm

Anyone else think the guy holding the gun in the link skaneat provided looks like Hugh Jackman? :huh:
User avatar
uglymug
hunter
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:50 pm
Location: Columbus, WI

Re: Thinking about a new boat.

Postby TnDude85 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:37 am

I own the awd18 with a 70 on the back and I pretty much get mid 30s for speed. You will definitely not get anywhere fast. What kind of load are you wanting to carry?
TnDude85
hunter
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:47 pm
Location: Memphis, TN Area

Re: Thinking about a new boat.

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:11 am

TnDude85 wrote:I own the awd18 with a 70 on the back and I pretty much get mid 30s for speed. You will definitely not get anywhere fast. What kind of load are you wanting to carry?


Your typical duck hunting load. Dekes, guns, gear. Besides the motor, how do you like the boat?
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:22 pm
Location: PA

Re: Thinking about a new boat.

Postby TnDude85 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:43 am

PAwaterfowldominator wrote:
TnDude85 wrote:I own the awd18 with a 70 on the back and I pretty much get mid 30s for speed. You will definitely not get anywhere fast. What kind of load are you wanting to carry?


Your typical duck hunting load. Dekes, guns, gear. Besides the motor, how do you like the boat?



So far I've had the boat a little over a year and have no complaints. I have hunted and fished out of the boat. I hunt mainly in west TN and have had it fishing down on the marsh in MS. Have had no problems with it, and it runs shallow enough for what I need. It's been a very stable boat that carries loads very well. This is my first Yamaha and first four stroke and I like the motor a lot. It is a heavy boat but I can easily move it around by myself when in the water. It seems to handle rough water pretty well, I have had it loaded at the max in rough water and it did well.

The only "complaint" I've had was initially figuring out how far to pull the trailer in when I first go it for loading. As it seems a little more sensitive in how far you need it in the water to load. From what I have found, it likes to have slightly less trailer in the water and to use more power to load it than my old one. It also launches well from shallow ramps.

Let me know if you need any more information. All in all we really like the boat and the layout.
TnDude85
hunter
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:47 pm
Location: Memphis, TN Area

Re: Thinking about a new boat.

Postby Legband#1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:00 pm

I have had over 15 boats in my days of fishing and hunting and still have three boats two are 16 footers.
One has a 50 and one a 60 hp two of my buddy's have 40 hp on their 16 footers.
I think you will regret a 25 hp it's just to small.
The boat will never plane out with a full load and crawling to your spot will not be enjoyable.
We have a 25 hp on our 14' and two guys is the most it will push.
I'm sure you will get multiple opinions do your self a favor and go for a ride in a 16/18 foot with a 25hp if you can find one.
The last thing you want to do is get it all rigged up and have it not be what you want.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
User avatar
Legband#1
hunter
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:30 pm
Location: Central California USA

Re: Thinking about a new boat.

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:49 pm

Legband#1 wrote:I have had over 15 boats in my days of fishing and hunting and still have three boats two are 16 footers.
One has a 50 and one a 60 hp two of my buddy's have 40 hp on their 16 footers.
I think you will regret a 25 hp it's just to small.
The boat will never plane out with a full load and crawling to your spot will not be enjoyable.
We have a 25 hp on our 14' and two guys is the most it will push.
I'm sure you will get multiple opinions do your self a favor and go for a ride in a 16/18 foot with a 25hp if you can find one.
The last thing you want to do is get it all rigged up and have it not be what you want.


I would love to a motor bigger than a 25. Not sure if you ready my entire original post but I'm limited to 25 for the bodies of water I use it on.
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:22 pm
Location: PA

Re: Thinking about a new boat.

Postby Legband#1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:53 pm

PAwaterfowldominator wrote:
Legband#1 wrote:I have had over 15 boats in my days of fishing and hunting and still have three boats two are 16 footers.
One has a 50 and one a 60 hp two of my buddy's have 40 hp on their 16 footers.
I think you will regret a 25 hp it's just to small.
The boat will never plane out with a full load and crawling to your spot will not be enjoyable.
We have a 25 hp on our 14' and two guys is the most it will push.
I'm sure you will get multiple opinions do your self a favor and go for a ride in a 16/18 foot with a 25hp if you can find one.
The last thing you want to do is get it all rigged up and have it not be what you want.


I would love to a motor bigger than a 25. Not sure if you ready my entire original post but I'm limited to 25 for the bodies of water I use it on.


I missed it some how , my bad.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
User avatar
Legband#1
hunter
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:30 pm
Location: Central California USA

Re: Thinking about a new boat.

Postby skaneat » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:22 pm

Check out the attached for a test review of a 25 hp etec on a 16' alumacraft with 2 guys and test gear. Hole shot is 3.5 sec to plane with a top speed at WOT of 26mph. 3.5 seconds is pretty darn good for a hot shot!! Like I mentioned earlier, the etec's are amazing engines. I'm looking at getting the 15 HO etec for our camp boat. Hope this helps in your decision......have a great 4th!! :beer:

http://www.evinrude.com/Content/Pdf/neu ... /PE917.pdf

http://www.evinrude.com/en-us/engines/e ... _25_inline
skaneat
hunter
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 5:09 am


Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Spartina spp. and 7 guests

cron