1542 jon

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

1542 jon

Postby Alhunter07 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:47 am

In the market for a duck/fishing flat bottom jon boat. I am wanting to fish medium lakes and rivers and duck hunt flooded timber in Arkansas. I am not planning on hunting out of the boat just transporting 3 people dog and gear. I am wondering if the1542 tracker jon is large enough to do the job.
Alhunter07
hunter

Re: 1542 jon

Postby z51 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:29 pm

I run a 1542V Weldbilt made in Alexander Ar. It's plenty big for 2 with a live well or 3 without. Anything bigger makes running in ]the timber difficult. My boat is the short deck with the pointed bow. Lot's of options are availible. There are several dealers here, Arts in NLR is a dealer. Now is the time to put your order in for a custom build. Best buy out there and a great boat, this is my second one. Get the two seater with the floor.
No rivited boats for me.
z51
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:59 pm

Alhunter07 wrote:In the market for a duck/fishing flat bottom jon boat. I am wanting to fish medium lakes and rivers and duck hunt flooded timber in Arkansas. I am not planning on hunting out of the boat just transporting 3 people dog and gear. I am wondering if the1542 tracker jon is large enough to do the job.

That boat is only 6" wider and 12" longer than my boat....and my boat is way too small for three hunters, a Lab, and waterfowling gear. It's marginal for two hunters, a lab, gear, and all the decoys it sometimes takes. Take it for what it's worth.
mudpack
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:03 pm

mudpack wrote:
Alhunter07 wrote:In the market for a duck/fishing flat bottom jon boat. I am wanting to fish medium lakes and rivers and duck hunt flooded timber in Arkansas. I am not planning on hunting out of the boat just transporting 3 people dog and gear. I am wondering if the1542 tracker jon is large enough to do the job.

That boat is only 6" wider and 12" longer than my boat....and my boat is way too small for three hunters, a Lab, and waterfowling gear. It's marginal for two hunters, a lab, gear, and all the decoys it sometimes takes. Take it for what it's worth.

Mud, if he weren't needing to run in the timber a bigger boat would be better. The boat you running is 14x36" with probably 16" sides. My boat is rated for 4 passengers and a 25 hp motor and has 20" sides 100 gauge and all welded. A big difference in capacity and safety. I've had a boat like yours albeit wider. No way would I put more than 2 people in it.
The Tracker he is looking at is dinky. I wouldn't want it.
z51
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:00 pm

What is with all you guys wanting small boats? A couple extra feet doesn't cost much more. I run an 1860 with just me, a teenager and a lab. There's still never enough room. If I had to haul three guys, dog, gear and decoys I'd run a 20 to 24' boat. Stormy weather, cold water, small boat and guys in waders can be a bad combo......
blackrock
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:04 am

blackrock wrote:What is with all you guys wanting small boats? A couple extra feet doesn't cost much more. I run an 1860 with just me, a teenager and a lab. There's still never enough room. If I had to haul three guys, dog, gear and decoys I'd run a 20 to 24' boat. Stormy weather, cold water, small boat and guys in waders can be a bad combo......

Obviously you have never tried to run a boat in a foot or two of water in flooded green timber. You wouldn't get 20 yards in a tub like that.
Read the OPs question.
z51
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:44 am

I have a 1448 for 2 hunters and a dog
And 1648 for 3 hunters and a dog. There's NO WAY I would add an additional hunter to either boat. Not safe and or comfortable.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:58 pm

z51 wrote:
blackrock wrote:What is with all you guys wanting small boats? A couple extra feet doesn't cost much more. I run an 1860 with just me, a teenager and a lab. There's still never enough room. If I had to haul three guys, dog, gear and decoys I'd run a 20 to 24' boat. Stormy weather, cold water, small boat and guys in waders can be a bad combo......

Obviously you have never tried to run a boat in a foot or two of water in flooded green timber. You wouldn't get 20 yards in a tub like that.
Read the OPs question.
First off, I did read his post. I still think a 1542 Tracker is a very small boat for three guys, dog, decoys and gear. Unless you hunt with Ethiopians, skinny dog and 6 decoys. Further more, I run in 6-8" of water and willows in my boat fully loaded. No, I don't run flooded timber, I live out west so don't claim to be an expert. I do know plenty of guys run 16-18 foot boats with mud motors or surface drives in timber and swamps. Also wider boats draft less water and ride higher. It appears most of the other guys opinions also think its a small boat for three guys, dogs, gear etc., but do as you wish.
blackrock
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:38 am

It'll work great for the Arkansas timber part but you might want to rethink the fishing on lakes.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby z51 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:21 am

z51 wrote:
mudpack wrote:

Mud, if he weren't needing to run in the timber a bigger boat would be better. The boat you running is 14x36" with probably 16" sides. My boat is rated for 4 passengers and a 25 hp motor and has 20" sides 100 gauge and all welded. A big difference in capacity and safety. I've had a boat like yours albeit wider. No way would I put more than 2 people in it.
The Tracker he is looking at is dinky. I wouldn't want it.

As I said in this post the Tracker is dinky. Not all 1542 boats are created equal. Plus you don't want a square bow boat in the timber. You will t-bone trees rather than glance right or left.
Been doing what he wants to do for 30 years and know how to do it.
z51
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds