2 man layout boat

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

2 man layout boat

Postby goosegasm » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:01 pm

I am trying to find a 2 man layout boat preferably one made from aluminum. I cant seem to find anyone that makes and sells them. I would like something maybe 5 feet wide and like 12 ft long. Osage makes one thats almost exactly what i have in mind, i am however concerned about using 0.063" aluminum i feel like after one season it would be full of holes. I would just build one but have no idea how to weld aluminum. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
goosegasm
hunter

Re: 2 man layout boat

Postby Rhock19 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:03 pm

What makes you want aluminum over fiberglass?
Rhock19
hunter

Postby goosegasm » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:18 am

Well I have never owned a fiberglass boat. I however assume that aluminum would be more durable and lighter.
goosegasm
hunter

Postby addicted2duck » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:52 pm

Check out www.countylineboats.com . They build aluminum layout boats and will customize one for you.
addicted2duck
DHC Sponsor

Postby trigger22 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:08 pm

It isn't an aluminum boat but check out the Ambusher X2 from Core Sound Layout Boats. It's super lightweight and made of all fiberglass. It's light enough that one man can load and unload it pretty easy.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:30 pm

I have an old 13' Grumman lightweight canoe (44 lbs), that my Dad bought new in 1969.
It's made from 0.040" aluminum, and has no holes or leaks.

There is no way that I'd consider hunting two people in it. Even with the side sponsons.
However, as a layout for one person and one 60-80 lb dog, it's just about perfect.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby threedogs » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:50 pm

goosegasm wrote: i am however concerned about using 0.063" aluminum i feel like after one season it would be full of holes. I would just build one but have no idea how to weld aluminum. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Supposed to shoot up not down ..
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:56 pm

threedogs wrote:
goosegasm wrote: i am however concerned about using 0.063" aluminum i feel like after one season it would be full of holes. I would just build one but have no idea how to weld aluminum. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

:lol: :bow: :bow:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:45 am

Since you live in Mo. why don't you motor over to Odesa on 70 and talk to Tom at Four Rivers. He makes one in the size that you are looking for. I have customers that have his boats and love them. I have ordered a EBADS for delivery the end of this month to use as both a hunting rig and motor demonstration platform. I build motors out of aluminum but I chose fiberglass for the boat. It's quieter and not hot in the sun. Tom has been at it a long time and has a great couple of designs.

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby addicted2duck » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:54 am

It doesn't sound like fiberglass would hold up to his hunting style. I know guys that have to reglass the bottom of their boats after every season.
addicted2duck
DHC Sponsor

Postby copterdoc » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:16 am

Osage is in Lebanon, which is in central MO.

I'd like to take a close look at the aluminum kayak that they make. There's just so much variance in the build quality of boats, that I couldn't bring myself to buy one sight unseen. No matter how great it looks in pictures.

And even if it's built to perfection, there's no way that I'd hunt two adults in a 12' kayak.

Since the OP wants something with dimensions of 12' long with a 5' beam, I think that he needs a reality check on how poorly such a boat would track.

The fact is that all canoes and kayaks are displacement hulls. Their hull speed is the same speed as the wave being pushed by the bow. They also cannot pull away from the stern wave.

So, the longer the distance from bow to stern at the water line, the faster the waves will travel, and the higher the speed that the boat will travel.

If you want to add a person, you need to add length. Not width.
If you can't go significantly longer than 12', you need two layout boats.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby noweil » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:11 pm

Osage Duck Canoe is an ok row boat but I wouldn't put much of a motor on it or run it in anything but open water or a few weeds. Pretty thin skinned riveted hull. Can't even trailer the duck canoe with a motor on the mount. The Vantage that Osage makes now may have a better motor mount. There are plenty of builders who make aluminum boats, Phowler, Clark, Oquawka, and others.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby goosegasm » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:00 am

threedogs wrote:

With problem solving skills like that you must be like a detective or something huh?
goosegasm
hunter

Postby 4riverman » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:26 am

addicted2duck wrote:It doesn't sound like fiberglass would hold up to his hunting style. I know guys that have to reglass the bottom of their boats after every season.

He never described his hunting unless I missed it somewhere. I have our new SOBADS and the EBADS that can bust thru 2.5 inches of ice for over a mile 2 days in a row and nothing wrong. I have had guys bounce off of trees at 28 mph and nothing wrong. I was just curious what he was going to do to tear up a boat.

You are more than welcome to come by and look and take one for a test ride anytime.

Unless he shoots down not up!!

:lol: :lol:
Four Rivers Layout Boats
Odessa, MO
http://www.fourriverslayoutboats.com
email: sales@fourriverslayoutboats.com
Phone: 816-694-4955
4riverman
DHC Sponsor

Postby 4riverman » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:47 am

Mark F. Cheney wrote:Since you live in Mo. why don't you motor over to Odesa on 70 and talk to Tom at Four Rivers. He makes one in the size that you are looking for. I have customers that have his boats and love them. I have ordered a EBADS for delivery the end of this month to use as both a hunting rig and motor demonstration platform. I build motors out of aluminum but I chose fiberglass for the boat. It's quieter and not hot in the sun. Tom has been at it a long time and has a great couple of designs.

Mark F. Cheney

Mark, your EBADS is made and just adding finishing touches so I can ship it to you. I will be calling you shortly for shipping info. :grooving:
Four Rivers Layout Boats
Odessa, MO
4riverman
DHC Sponsor

Postby goosegasm » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:06 pm

4riverman wrote:
addicted2duck wrote:It doesn't sound like fiberglass would hold up to his hunting style. I know guys that have to reglass the bottom of their boats after every season.

He never described his hunting unless I missed it somewhere. I have our new SOBADS and the EBADS that can bust thru 2.5 inches of ice for over a mile 2 days in a row and nothing wrong. I have had guys bounce off of trees at 28 mph and nothing wrong. I was just curious what he was going to do to tear up a boat.

You are more than welcome to come by and look and take one for a test ride anytime.

I was just concerned that two guys wouldn't layout very comfy in one of those I guess I just need to come check one out.
goosegasm
hunter

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:36 pm

For my EBADS I intend to hunt with my son. I am 71 years old and have no intention of laying down and trying to rise swivel and shoot in one smooth uninterrupted motion. We are going to mount 2 swivel seats low in the boat. I like to drive sitting down. so I am going to use that driving seat for my shooting seat as well. My son will also have a swivel seat. Our dog will either sit on the deck on carpet or else between us. We'll have to see. We will cover the boat and motor in a camo throw. My hunting area has a lot of vegetation. We'll run the boat backed into some phrags or wild rice with the decoys right and left out front. This has worked well for our old boat. I have high hopes for the blended profile of the EBADS as well as for the designs general utility. I am also looking forward to the increased stability of a little wider bottom.

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby 4riverman » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:27 pm

Most layout boats are tough for hunting side by side layout hunting.I do have some guys who recline in our BAR seats and sit at a 45 degree angle and have specific shooting lanes. I agree, you really need to come by and see what we have to offer and if it is right for you.
Four Rivers Layout Boats
Odessa, MO
4riverman
DHC Sponsor

Postby addicted2duck » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:23 pm

4riverman wrote:

Holy cow! You broke 2 1/2" of ice with a 13' 6" boat that only weighs 180 lbs.? I would like to see that. I can't hardly do that in my 18' john boat.
addicted2duck
DHC Sponsor

Postby will1515 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:42 pm

4riverman wrote:

I might have to motor down and take test ride! Would love to see how they feel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
will1515
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds