Engine Painting

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Engine Painting

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:20 pm

I'd like to have my engine painted to match my boat. What are my best options here? Has anyone done this themselves?
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Re: Engine Painting

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:04 pm

Outboard or mud motor? I think you will need some good high temp paint on an exposed engine case for a mud motor. I use parker or hunter specialties in a spray gun on a fiberglass outboard hood. Clean it real well will with alcohol before painting.
OTHER OPTIONS are the camo wraps. Ive only seen them on boats, never tried them. Personally I don't like the very minimal glare the put off either.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby duckspeaker1 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:37 pm

check out mydipkit.com i ordered a hydrographic print kit from them and its very easy to use also the finish comes out flat.
duckspeaker1
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:50 pm

For the guys that are looking for a good engine paint. I just repainted the original 1989 460 Kodiak motor in my Fishrite jet boat with VHT paint from Autozone.

So far I am very impressed and I think this would work well on the mud motors. That's my next project.

I did this with motor in the boat, but I stripped it down to only the long block, valve covers, and intake manifold. Didn't feel like fixing something that's wasn't broken (no leaks at any of these areas).

Step 1
Wire wheel everything down tobbare metal or a painted surface that is currently sticking to the motor.

Step 2
Zep degreaser and wipe down, no water. I used tons of rags.

Step 3
Acetone in a manual spray bottle. Again, wipe everything and every little nook.

Step 4
Mask what you dont want painted and use VHT primer. Let stand for about an hour or until dry to the touch.

Step 5
VHT motor paint, 2 coats

Step 6
VHT clear gloss, 2 coats

I did the same process on the aluminum exhaust manifolds. Using the stuff meant for headers.

This is some of the best engine paint I have ever used. It really does a nice job filling in the imperfections on the old motor and sticks very well to less than perfect surfaces.
Attachments
IMG_20140925_204843.jpg
IMG_20140925_204926.jpg
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds