Boat blind ideas

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Boat blind ideas

Postby Duck Nasty » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:28 pm

I have a 1648 alumacraft and I want to build a low profile blind does anyone have any pictures of theirs. I've used the search and not finding what I'm looking for. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Sent from hades
Duck Nasty
hunter

Re: Boat blind ideas

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:41 pm

Duck Nasty wrote:I want to build a low profile blind

Define low profile. I have seen houses on some hulls when it was labeled "low profile". What searching have you done? There are many examples available.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Boat blind ideas

Postby Duck Nasty » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:48 pm

As in provably nothing over 30" over the gunnel. I've searched on here but I'm not liking the blinds such as the Avery or cabelas style pop up blind. I'm looking for some out of the box ideas

Sent from hades
Last edited by Duck Nasty on Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:08 pm

Gotcha. This has been a hit on the forums. I copied it and turned out well for the cost. I do not have a link, but you can easily find it on Google Image search. I believe he was 26" above.
Attachments
IMG_0193.jpg
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:41 pm

Built this blind on my 1854 Phowler when I had it. The boat had 30 inch sides and I think the top of the flip tops were just under 32" above the rest of the boat. Concealed the hunters great, but the flip tops got to be a pain in the butt over time. Killed plenty of birds out of it though. Dog hide was on the bow and I had a small opening the dog went out and came up the rear via the hunt deck.

I added more raffia to it after this hunt to help it blend in a little better.

Folded up for transport. The flip tops went on the bow and were secured with bungees.

The framework. The downside of the blind was that it took about 3-5 minutes to set up. I had a lot of braces and pins that went into play to keep the framework from sagging in the middle.

I used camo tarps as the base layer to keep us dry. Worked well in the rain. Only downside was you were hunched over a bit under the flip tops. But the end result is to kill ducks, and we did just that out of this rig.

Netting on top of the tarp to allow for a base layer of camo to attach the raffia too. Overall I think I have about 20lbs of raffia on it to conceal it all. Even had pieces that drapped around the mud motor to conceal it as well.

And proof that the blind worked. 3 man limit of teal in 1 hr on a public WMA.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:37 am

I don't have any pictures of it right now, but have to take some as I am selling it. I made like a blanket of Cordura that is attached to a conduit bar that clamps to the left side of the boat. It has a 1' that hang to the water and another conduit bar sewed in the end. We pull the boat up to the cover on the right side and have back rests that you lean you head on and pull the blanket over the seats while sitting on the boat floor. You could make a head cover like shown above, but that is higher profile and I was going for as low as possible and you just can't move. The motor is about a full 1' higher than the blind and I made a net with rafia for the front deck and the motor. It used a spud pole also as everyone was on the right side.

Sorry, I can get pictures later this week, if you're really interested.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Duck Nasty » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:31 pm

Thanks guys. Cnc I like the idea of what you had. It is the most similar to what I was thinking. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Ichabold that's good looking but it really looks kind of like the top cover would be somewhat of a hindrance at the moment of impact.

My idea is to make pretty much a cover. I can think of making it somewhat like a coffin blind where you are sitting on the floor of the boat in a very low style beach chair and the doors open the the other perpendicular to the length of the boat. If that makes sense to anybody

Sent from hades
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby grnhd » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:07 pm

Nobody gives a crap about your season totals.
grnhd
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:51 pm

Yes very similar to what I am trying to do

Sent from hades
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby threedogs » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:04 am

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:I don't have any pictures of it right now, but have to take some as I am selling it. I made like a blanket of Cordura that is attached to a conduit bar that clamps to the left side of the boat. It has a 1' that hang to the water and another conduit bar sewed in the end. We pull the boat up to the cover on the right side and have back rests that you lean you head on and pull the blanket over the seats while sitting on the boat floor. You could make a head cover like shown above, but that is higher profile and I was going for as low as possible and you just can't move. The motor is about a full 1' higher than the blind and I made a net with rafia for the front deck and the motor. It used a spud pole also as everyone was on the right side.

Sorry, I can get pictures later this week, if you're really interested.

I'd like to see the pictures . I did the same thing last year but with plywood and it turned out to be a warped up mess !
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:40 pm

I'd like to see what cupped-n-committed has going on with that blind too. Sounds interesting. Sub'd
BKScripto
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:19 pm

Attachement pf the conduit bar holding the blind on the boat, one at both ends and one in the center.
IMG_0776 - Copy (800x600).jpg
Codura attachement

How the Cordura is held onto the conduit.
IMG_0775 - Copy (800x600).jpg
Conduit Clamp

Large netting secured to the ends and attachment spots to tie raffia too. The free end that hangs over the side has a 2x2 pressure treated board screwed to it for weight. It blew in the wind too much and this weighted it down in the wind.
IMG_0771 (800x600).jpg
Cover with net for Raffia

How the cover rests on the seats in the center.
IMG_0774 (800x600).jpg
Resting on the seat

This is it as its rolled up. The side over hang flips into the boat, the front net and motor net place in. End of blanket with conduit brought to the side and folded again and bound with webbing or Bungee.
IMG_0780 (800x600).jpg
Rolled up

I made boards that rest on the sides as we sat on the bottom and leaned on the sides. The guns just laid on top of the Cordura and net cover. The dog sat between us normally or could lay on the front deck if it was still. I don't have a picture of the spud pole but I made it myself and it was bolted to the stern. A 1" water pipe with a screw on cap. The pipe was drilled ever inch and a hitch pin locked the spud pole to the depth I wanted it to be.

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby threedogs » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:58 pm

Interesting , thanks for the pics . What about where you sat , how did you manage the netting ? Any pics of it set up ?
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:50 am

Belle's Last Hunt. This was my Buddy Joe's (trailman) dog and her last hunt, but is shows the cover and the motor and me in the background. You can see the back side of the boat is exposed, but we hunt shorelines and islands on a river.
look down the length.jpg

from the boat looking out at the decoys.
view from inside.jpg

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Duck Nasty » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:29 am

That's some good stuff there very similar to what I am going to try it looks great

Sent from hades
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby threedogs » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:53 am

I'm glad I read this thread because it got my lazy butt in gear . I still have burlap from my fiasco last year and sice it very seldom rains in AZ I'll do a lite weight cover with pvc pipe on both sides to hold it at water level and support it with a few bungees running side to side . Thx again.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:19 pm

ImageImageImage

This is the rough first day of building. Still adding a few more supports to stabilize it. Has anyone done anything like this
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:21 pm

Forgot to add tallest point is 18" above gunnel
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:12 pm

Duck Nasty, you plan on rolling that blind out on your boat after you get to your spot or attaching to the boat semi-permanently?
BKScripto
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:41 pm

It's rolled up now and plan to use it as a roll when I get there. . There are support poles inside that use the cami net ends if you are familiar with them. They are 10" spiked disks on poles that are set in the rod holders.
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby ZMan079 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:03 pm

Here is a link to a thread on my boat blind project, the pictures weren't showing up for me on my mobile device, but I'd be glad to load a few here if your interested: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=170103
Duck Xpress - My Boat Blind Project
ZMan079
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:54 am

I'd love to see it. It's not working on my phone either. I'll try the computer later.
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:04 am

I can't see them even on the computer.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:07 am

Duck Nasty wrote:It's rolled up now and plan to use it as a roll when I get there. . There are support poles inside that use the cami net ends if you are familiar with them. They are 10" spiked disks on poles that are set in the rod holders.

Yeah that's what I figured. Wouldn't take long to roll it out and you don't have to worry about grass flying off and crap when you're trailering the boat. This may be something like I'll do with my new boat. I'm headed to Texas to pick it up this weekend. It's a custom made 16.5' sneak style boat with a cockpit. I'm thinking something like this draped over the cockpit may be the way to go. I might post pics up to see what ya'll think on it too.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby ZMan079 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:10 am

DuckNasty,

I got sloughs of pics, but here are a few that capture the general design look and feel
I can't remember the exact height from the gunnels, but the material I used was 5 ft, and I wrapped it around the rear pole and ran it to the the bottom of my boat (which has a 21" transom). so inside height is at best 3 ft.
Attachments
100_1692-small.jpg
Dog opening - inside
100_1692-small.jpg (69.5 KiB) Viewed 844 times
100_1690-small.jpg
Dog Opening - outside
100_1690-small.jpg (84.52 KiB) Viewed 844 times
100_1679-small.jpg
wrapped up and ready to go
100_1679-small.jpg (81.85 KiB) Viewed 844 times
100_1683-small.jpg
Back Angle - Notice there is more material below than above gunnels