What are your guys tactics for hunting out of a kayak?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

What are your guys tactics for hunting out of a kayak?

Postby God1st » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:42 pm

I've done one float trip,and got lucky ambushing some woodies, pure luck more than anything, really wanting to get into this and was wondering what your guys tactics on the water and in the boat were to have a greater success. Thanks!
God1st
hunter

Re: What are your guys tactics for hunting out of a kayak?

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:28 am

Make a low profile blind and hunt were they don't expect boats to be.

My blind for my Commander and getting ready to work on one for my Sit on Top with a dog cover in the back.
http://archeryrob.wordpress.com/2013/03/20/waterfowl-blind-for-a-commander-kayak/
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mudpack » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:40 am

Do you want tactics for hunting out of a kayak, or for shooting from a kayak?
mudpack
hunter

Postby Utahrob » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:20 pm

I always slipped my kayak into the cattails on its side then hid in the cattails . When shooting from one i find they are way more stable if you put a foot over each side into the water as you shoot . I have bad back and can no longer paddle one , but enyoyed hunting out of mine for the first few years after taking up duck hunting . BUT couldn't take my Lab . if i could do it again i would get a two man for my Dog :) decided it was safer towing decoys than weighting my Kayak down .

http://s365.photobucket.com/user/Rkempt ... ort=3&o=22

Utahrob
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:21 am

Utahrob, here is a little teaser for you, I am building a dog kennel for my Ride 135. I have the frame all done. She will enter through the back and exit through the front. Can come in a lay down to be out of the rain or sit up and I will have a hatch in the top she can stick her head and neck up to watch.

Dog Frame - Side left (640x480).jpg

The seat is pretty comfortable, but I am not sure I am going to hunt with it. I want more of a lay down seat. So I am not sure if I will paddle with the factory seat, or something I make, like turkey chair yet
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds