WeldBilt Crawdad as a Sneak Boat/Lay DOWN boat?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

WeldBilt Crawdad as a Sneak Boat/Lay DOWN boat?

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:07 am

I simply cannot afford a Phowler Prowler Sneak Boat. $5100 for the smallest one plus shipping across the entire US is out of my league. A 1442 Crawdad decked with camo and some options seems to run $2500.

I am inquiring if anyone can opine if the WeldBilt Crawdad could be used successfully (meaning very well) as a Sneak Boat and shot out of laying down like a layout boat? Still searching the Be All-End All boat to shoot out of laying down with a dog behind me. The EBADS has been on the super short list and still is, but I just can help thinking Fiberglass is temporary and disposeable, where as aluminum is tougher and forever.

Considering one as an option, pending a conversation to Backwoods Landing. My idea would be to fab a cockpit enclosure to be set upon the existing gunwale which would hold flip style doors. Either fastened hard and drilled or fab a clamp system to add on/off versatility.

Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Re: WeldBilt Crawdad as a Sneak Boat/Lay DOWN boat?

Postby addicted2duck » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:46 pm

Check out http://www.countylineboats.com . Aluminum marsh boats and they will customize to your specs.
addicted2duck
DHC Sponsor

Postby DuckMulisha13 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Thats not really a bad price, Im kind of curious now about these too. Might be worth saving up till next year and buying myself one of these.
DuckMulisha13
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:37 pm

It's no sneak boat, and it's certainly no layout boat, but it is a good boat and you could probably make do using it for those two purposes....

In other words: It's not designed to be either of those craft. You can use it for anything you'd care to, just don't expect perfect results.
mudpack
hunter

Postby DuckMulisha13 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:08 pm

Where are you from?
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk
DuckMulisha13
hunter

Postby addicted2duck » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:26 pm

Concordia mo
addicted2duck
DHC Sponsor

Postby threedogs » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:56 pm

Aluminum is noisy . Fiberglass not so much .
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby addicted2duck » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:01 pm

Fiberglass is fragile...... Aluminum not so much.
addicted2duck
DHC Sponsor

Postby threedogs » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:10 pm

addicted2duck wrote:Fiberglass is fragile...... Aluminum not so much.

Anyone can patch fiberglass , aluminum not so easy .
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby addicted2duck » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:25 pm

That's an interesting train of thought... Buy something that your more likely to have to fix because it's easier to fix. Makes sense to me.
addicted2duck
DHC Sponsor

Postby dexterherndon » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:59 pm

I have one of the first few he built, I ran a 12 hp copperhead on it. With 2 of us, blind and decoys it ran 22-23, think I gave him the insight on the hunt deck. Decent boat wish I still had my motor for it. Ill post pics if I can find them.
dexterherndon
hunter

Postby threedogs » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:09 pm

addicted2duck wrote:That's an interesting train of thought... Buy something that your more likely to have to fix because it's easier to fix. Makes sense to me.

Duck hunters aren't the smartest creature on earth , well except for you . Makes no difference to me what he gets I just put the facts out ma'am .
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby addicted2duck » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:14 pm

threedogs wrote:
addicted2duck wrote:That's an interesting train of thought... Buy something that your more likely to have to fix because it's easier to fix. Makes sense to me.

Duck hunters aren't the smartest creature on earth , well except for you . Makes no difference to me what he gets I just put the facts out ma'am .

Never claimed to be the smartest creature on earth. I've just been at this waterfowl thing for a long time. Got to love some of the guys on this forum, want to fight about everything.
addicted2duck
DHC Sponsor

Postby addicted2duck » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:19 pm

DuckMulisha13 wrote:Where are you from?
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

Where you from? Might be able to set up a test run if your really interested.
addicted2duck
DHC Sponsor

Postby click » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:05 am

When i was looking for a layout i had it down to a phowler, or the EBADS. went with the EBADS due to the size and low profile. I felt the phowler just wasn't what i was looking for.
Now what you could do with that crawdad is try to convert it to something like a gatortrax gator hide. It would take some creativity, but it's do able. I don't think it would be perfect, but it should work for you. The reason i went with a layout boat was the low profile, those big boat blinds tend to stick out more than i like. you could also look into putting a short blind on it and set on the floor, i know a few guys that have cut down the avery boat blinds to make them shorter. They ended up sitting on mil crates, but it did help hide the boat better.
Matt,
Proudly Owned By A CBR Wildwood's Slow Poke Blue Wing Timber
2014-2015 Season Recovery 100%
Days Hunted 10
2013-2014 Season Recovery 89.5%
Days Hunted 42
click
hunter

Postby z51 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:54 am

mudpack wrote:It's no sneak boat, and it's certainly no layout boat, but it is a good boat and you could probably make do using it for those two purposes....

In other words: It's not designed to be either of those craft. You can use it for anything you'd care to, just don't expect perfect results.

Johnny designed the Crawdad to run sloughs and flooded timber in Arkansas. I got to test run one in Bayou Meto a few years back. It's built to bounce off of trees in the dark and draft shallow. It's tough as nails and can do a lot,
but as Mud says it's no sneak boat. It's actually pretty heavy too.
z51
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds