Boat floors?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Boat floors?

Postby Small Block » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:02 am

Mine is just a bare aluminum floor with the cross ribs. I see other boats with a metal material and it looks to have a bunch of holes in it with some kind of support under it. Working on mine but Lord knows i'd like to do it right the first time. Any ideas or pictures guys would be helpful. The ability to support seats is a plus. Thanks.
Small Block
hunter

Re: Boat floors?

Postby Black Smoke » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:10 am

I am going to put rubber mats in my boat this year with 1 inch holes for the purpose of not slipping when it is cold and it is icey. I believe I got the idea from Jeff Coats' boat. Check out Pitboss Waterfowl he will have pictures of his and he is a die hard guide for sea ducks.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby mdycrk » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:12 am

I used the black ergo mats in mine this year. They did pretty well. I picked mine up at lowes. I've been thinking about upgrading to hydroturf but not sure it's worth it or not. I'm anxious to see what other guys say.
mdycrk
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:45 am

Hydroturf is lighter.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:21 pm

I personally like a flat floor in my boats for many reasons.

I used closed cell foam (not styro foam) which will not absorb water, under my 1/2 inch treated wood with a sand (ruff finish) stain/sealer/paint which gives it great traction. Line or lay foam under floor with any seams going from bow to stern to help any water drain to stern, leave 1/4 gap on sides to also help drain. Affix the floor to the ribs only. You can get the "sand" is packs at hardware that isn't real sand, goes in the final coat of paint. I use Parker's and even put a coat around top for added traction.

One boat is 13 years old with this, never an issei and did not add additional weight to be concerned with.

If your mounting seat pedestal make sure some fasteners are through floor into ribs.

Am sure others will comment, I am not a aluminum fabricator.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby ADF » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:30 am

This is a post I did a couple weeks ago. As you will read, I got tired of replacing with wood every 3-5 years and went with aluminum. Highly recommend it. I've been in boats with the mats between the ribs and its not bad and has some advantages. I prefer the flat surface an actual floor has.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=494378
ADF
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:34 am

Half inch exterior plywood screwed down to the ribs. Mine is coming up on its sixth season and showing no signs of deterioration. A little sand in the wet paint helps the traction when it gets below freezing.
Also, wood floats....so, unlike aluminum or rubber, it adds a little flotation.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:37 am

mudpack wrote:Half inch exterior plywood screwed down to the ribs. Mine is coming up on its sixth season and showing no signs of deterioration. A little sand in the wet paint helps the traction when it gets below freezing.
Also, wood floats....so, unlike aluminum or rubber, it adds a little flotation.

Agree.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby ADF » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:57 am

Wood is fine and easy to work with. Its depends on where you live. Here in Florida, wood won't last long with the humidity and heat. If you keep it in the garage year round then you would get a lot more out of it.
ADF
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:08 am

i did mine last year in aluminum and hydroturf. my build is here if you'd like to see pics of the finished product:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=227233

i went through the same back and forth with wood vs aluminum and i'm glad i went aluminum. IMO the wood would always be a concern, and with a dog in the boat would end up waterlogged (heavy) and surfaces torn up. cutting and fitting aluminum is the same as how i would have done it with wood. perk of that is, i added the turf, which after a hard season of use still looks great, feels great on my feet in the summertime, and stays non-skid even with ice on it. for those concerned about adding weight and losing flotation, i filled between my ribs with 1.5" thick foam that was not originally there. no noticeable weight difference or speed losses because of my floors either.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:39 am

j.digiacomo wrote: for those concerned about adding weight and losing flotation, i filled between my ribs with 1.5" thick foam that was not originally there.

How does adding even more weight address the issue of adding weight?
mudpack
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:25 am

A 8x4 sheet of 1.5in pink foam weighs in at a whopping 5 lbs...
Rhock19
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds