Motor

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Motor

Postby Quackkills9 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:54 pm

I have a johnson 9.5 horse that I took out of my grandpas Farm barn last summer and took it in to take it fixed for the 04' duck opener. Got new recoil, and sparks. The first time i took it out it worked well then later that day after the hunt, it would start at slow speed when i would want to speed up it would make this loud noise and wouldnt go any faster, it was kinda like on nuetral but wasnt. As a deaf person, I am not sure how to explain the noise, but the feel felt pretty high vibration. I am wondering what could possibly be wrong. It has not been used for maybe 10 years but it runs well and starts well but thats the only problem it wont speed up. I was thinking it could be possibly the Gearing parts? I will be looking at it tomorrow or bring in it to the boat shop..

Any help would be appreciated. thanks :smile:
"Get Down and Cover Up!" -Tim Grounds
"In Yo' Face!"
"My Retriever is Smarter than Your Honor Student!"
Quackkills9
hunter

Postby Novamag » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:37 pm

check the shear pin on your fly wheel. it's and easy fix. it's still better than a mercury
nova
Perseverance- Doubling your effort when you've lost your aim.

Vegatarian-Old indian word for crappy hunter
Novamag
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:07 pm

Quack, check the lower unit oil there’s two screws top/bottom undo both, look for milky looking oil, which tells you your seals on your shaft are leaking, after 10yrs I wouldn’t be surprised, Check your oil level, it needs to be up to top screw hole, it might be low. When you drain your oil, look at your bottom screw, there should be a magnet attach to it, look for shavings, drain your oil into something clean to look for additional shavings. Also check your hub on your prop. That might be spun; it will look chewed up, or out of shape. In less this is an old engine, you might not even have shear pin, usually when they go, you go nowhere, but it might be. Good luck Bro
Pro Hunter

Postby Quackkills9 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:30 pm

thanks to both of ya for your ideas of whats wrong, I think I will take it in where i got it fixed last fall, seemed like a great guy and will test it and then see what he says. I know I could do it faster but I like to get it done fast. Although I will try what you guys said.. thanks. I am not a motor man but yeah the prop has dents and busted but it ran good for the first hour, but one of my buddy said it might be the gear? I dont know? I will let you guys know when This junk is fixed :thumbsup:
"Get Down and Cover Up!" -Tim Grounds
"In Yo' Face!"
"My Retriever is Smarter than Your Honor Student!"
Quackkills9
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds