Any hope?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Any hope?

Postby gsphunter » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:45 pm

Anybody think there's any hope for this little rig. I'm in college so I'm dead broke so I can't really buy anything, and hoped I could make this work for now. I don't hunt any rivers, and usually go with just one other guy and next year I'll have a dog.

What do ya think?

[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/gsphunter/boat.jpg[/img][/img]
gsphunter
hunter

Postby TWO GSPS » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:47 pm

It'll work just fine, add some camo blind material and you're in. :thumbsup:
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY DOG.
TWO GSPS
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:00 pm

:withstupid: He's right, you could even paint it yourself for pretty cheap if you'd like. Heck even draping it in burlap material would work. Gotta say though, I am a big fan of that old style motor. call it nostalgia....everyone in my family is so cheap they were using those well into...well they haven't stopped using 'em. We have my grandfathers 15hp tiller Johnson from about late 50's early 60's hangin' in our garage. Some day I'll get her running. Good luck with the boat, she'll suit you just fine.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:26 am

That motor Troix is unbelievable. It's a Buccaneer that was built in the 50's or 60's. My grandpa had the boat and motor for a long time, but then he died in '94 I think, so the motor has sat for about 10 or 11 years. I brought it home and "worked on it." I changed spark plugs, put fresh fuel in, and changed the lower unit oil. The thing fired up on about the tenth pull! That little five horse motor really pushes that boat well too.

Thanks for the comments guys. I planned on painting it up and maybe doing some kind of blind, if I can make a really light weight one.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Sun May 01, 2005 12:15 pm

Well I hope the price is right on the boat.... as it is ALOT harder to paint than you think. See the manufacturers put a clear poly like membrane over the alum so it does not oxidize, well that membrane prevents a good paint bond, and thus the paint flakes, chips easier. :thumbsdown: On the 1980 new baot at the ttime--I used 3 gal od "dualsol" ( like xyxol, but more potent) to remove the plastic film--took ALL day. And then I sprayed alum oxide for a alum primer, and then 2 coats of oil base paint over it. Talk about work and expense! Never again. :eek: It is my opinion that buying a boat factory painted is the way to go as they have a very good bond to the paint and hardly any extra expense for the camo paint job. Nope, converting a fishing boat into a duck rig is way too much work IMHo if you want a good lasting paint job.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Sun May 01, 2005 7:28 pm

H2o the price is definitely right. You can't beat free. I didn't realize it would be so much work to paint a boat like that. Maybe I could just get some of that rafia grass stuff and hang it of the sides of the boat.? I know it's not ideal, but as far as a boat goes, it's all I can work with for now.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:45 am

sounds like it will work, how does the motor run it looks pretty old im also a big fan of old style looking motors. good luck! :thumbsup:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby suskiedrake » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:12 pm

I started off in one just like her, paint and some blind material work with what you have I hunted a fairly large river and float hunted many creeks. As for the buccaneer i have one as well and she keeps purring along in the late season while my buddies are out scrambling to get theirs running.
suskiedrake
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:11 am

SuskieDrake I think I talked to you about this buccaneer before. If I'm not mistaken I said I had some Internet sites that had some good info on them, but I'm really sorry I just can't find them.

This motor ran great up until about a month ago. It sat for about 10 years with no use at all, and then I drug it out. I put new plugs and fuel into it and it started on about the tenth pull. I ran about a tank of gas through it and it ran great. Now it will run for about 4 or 5 minutes and it starts to sputter and then die. My assumption so far is that it is some kind of fuel problem by the way it is acting.

Suskie will know what I'm talking about here. I think what's happening is that the fuel in the float bowl is being burnt up, but the bowl is not refilling with fuel fast enough. Thus it runs out of fuel supply. Then I sit there for about a minute, turn the knob over to push the float down and it fills up the bowl again. It fires right up and runs the bowl dry again. I just can't figure out why it's doing this, because it seems like the float is working probably. One of the only things I can think is that I'm running it too rich, but I haven't had a chance to really dig into it yet.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:50 am

that will make a great hunting boat. :thumbsup: just sounds like the carb needs rebuilt. make sure you have fresh gas.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gahunter » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:42 pm

A good and cheap way to cover that thing is with old burlap sacks. I got a bunch of them from my grandad. I just cut 2 of the sides so that I could open them up all the way. They look just like grass or dead vegetation. Good luck.
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby Rowdy » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:43 pm

is that the 12 or the 14 foot sears ted williams

i have the 14" it is a great rig camo it up and put a scissor blind on it
Rowdy
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds