Boat Blind

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Boat Blind

Postby CLUTCHfan » Thu May 05, 2005 3:01 pm

In the last eight months I've been fortunate enough to have had three boats given to me. A 16' fiberglass, a 15' aluminum (got it last night, picking it up in an hour or so), and a 12' alum rowboat. I'm going to put a blind on one of the bigger boats, and liked the looks of the Cabelas Northern Flight Grass blind. Has anyone bought, been in, or seen one of these blinds? The nearest Cabelas store is in PA and I'd really like to see one or have some input from someone who has seen one before I make a decision. Any help is appreciated.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

cabelas grass blind

Postby Kenny » Thu May 12, 2005 4:00 pm

I found the Cabelas blind little on the flimsy side. would have like to see it built little stronger. As with all grass blinds they are great from a camo stand point, but require constant maint to keep them looking good
I just got a 18ft Alasakn tiller , and am looking for a blind for it ,not sure yet but I like the mudbuddy quick flip alot . Seen one on a 18 alaskan and looks great, nice low profile
Anyway good luck with what ever you chose
In my life I have spent most of my money on dogs ,decoys and shotguns. The rest of it I wasted
Kenny
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Sat May 14, 2005 11:13 am

Thank you for the reply. I'm taking welding classes and was considering on making my own blind, however, I really liked the grass that the cabelas blind had. Does anyone know if the mats that they use are the same style that are sold in 4x4 pieces at sporting goods stores?
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby donell67 » Sun May 15, 2005 9:33 am

they look the same. i like the fast grass the best. you can get it out of knutsons cheapest. theres a website where you can get your connections for 3/4 conduit. which should be plenty heavy enough. im making a scissor blind this year on my little boat with it.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Quackcephus » Sun May 15, 2005 10:50 am

My pardnuh had a "sissor blind" & it worked great. We could have it sep-up & be ready to hunt in 1/2 the time it took to set-up my Avery. In the Avery you were more hidden, as it had some overhead concelment... so they all have some advantages/disadvantages. :thumbsup:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Thu May 19, 2005 2:48 pm

I have a Northern Flight blind on my 17' tracker grizz. At first it was a little tall for my liking then i lowered it by using the next set of holes for the support arm further up the blind arm. That lowered it about six inches. I have been real pleased with how the blind/grass has help up. It folds up great when traveling and the straps hold it down very well. We odered more grass to cover up some spots and to lay across the top opening of the blind. It took my brother-in-law and I most of the day to set up but once its on it folds up and down into position in less than a minute if there are two of you.
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Boat blinds

Postby DannyHaas » Mon May 23, 2005 9:51 am

Last season i bought a Mudd Buddy Fast Grass blind for my 16' wareagle. I was very pleased with it. The key is mudding the fast grass before using it. If you don't it will shine when the sun hits it. The great thing about this blind it that you customize the frame to your boat and it holds up like a champ. The fast grass itself can always be replaced with new as year pass. Last season i didn't have a dog and the only thing i don't like about the blind is that I can't run my boat with the blind up which caused me to lose some criples last season. I hope this helps :cool:
DannyHaas
Newb

Postby littleone » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:26 pm

what is the best camo paint on the market .
littleone
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds