Thinking about making a boat.

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Thinking about making a boat.

Postby puddlerjumper » Tue May 10, 2005 5:37 pm

I was looking at a magazine the other day and came across a little pontoon boat that was called a "kick boat". It had almost like PVC pipes for pontoons. It is made by Hobie Float CO. I looked around and the prices I saw were pretty high. They have two sizes. One with 60" pontoons and the other has 75" pontoons. They are extremely lightweight according to the specs. I want to know how stable they are. They look like the perfect duck boat(for me anyway). What do you guys think, does anyone else make them? I do not want an inflatable at all.

Here is the larger boat

http://www.hobiecat.com/fishing/models_floatcat75.html
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby puddlerjumper » Tue May 10, 2005 5:46 pm

Oh, and about my original plan on building one. We had thought about using two 7'x12" PVC pipes, capped off on the end. They are air tight so it should float me and plenty of gear. Don't know exactly how we would buidl the cockpit. Our initial plans were to buy about 10-15ft of 1" square metal tubing(apparently really cheap). Hopefully, do something to it to keep it free from rust. Maybe sand blast it. I thought that rhino lining would work really good. I would paint the PVC camo. My cousin has a welding machine and is pretty good at working with it. He told me the costs of everything should be under 50 bucks to build.
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Thu May 12, 2005 7:37 pm

don't use steel, use aluminium, it's just as cheap, and wont fall apart and rust, sand blasting just takes every thing off the metal, so it would rust allot faster, like if you don't at least wipe it down with acetone or paint thinner and put some sort of primer on it, it will rust under the paint, if you spend only 50 bucks I'd guess it would last about a year. I'm gonna build a 14' or 18' aluminim sled, one of these days if I can get the plans or just draw it up myself, but it's going to cost about 400 maybe, and last for at least 20 years,
phillipstd
hunter

Postby puddlerjumper » Thu May 12, 2005 8:05 pm

How does price have anything to do with how long it will last? I was just making an estimate since the pvc was so inexpensive along with the metal. Have you had any experience to say that they won't last long? Don't read this the wrong way. I'm not saying youre wrong, I just am wondering if you have seen this happen before? I want to get as much info as possible.
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby Dogman » Fri May 13, 2005 6:20 am

If you use steel just make sure you clean it good first and then prime and paint it with paint that is siutable.A good marine paint will suffice,several varieties of epoxy paint are available and offer excellent rust protection.Good preparation will give you years of service out of steel.As for the cost ,it is not a concern.I have built things from the scrap pile that I have used for years and still have them.
You might want to assemble the pontoons with a cheap wood frame first so that you can work out the bugs in it before you weld up a steel frame,just another suggestion.
After your done test it out thoroughly in the nice warm weather.Once it is cold out you don't want to make mistakes and chance hypothermia
Good luck
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby luckeyduck69 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:46 am

I think thar both right but if i wer u i wold go with aluminium becuse it won,t rust and it is liter then steel. and if u paint it try rustoleum its made spechele for mettle,s. but that is onley my opeyen.eney way good luck. :thumbsup: :salude: :thumbsup: i hope it will werk out well
luckeyduck69
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:35 am

Based on my experience, a lot of these do it yourself boat kits and such are not very stable. The last thing I want to concern myself with in freezing cold water, is the boat turning over and me getting wet.
For less that $800 you can get a Stealth 1200 that utilizes a catamaran hull that is extremely stable.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby puddlerjumper » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:01 pm

Plan on buying a layout boat next year. Thanks for the advice. The stealth is number one right now.
puddlerjumper
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds