Canoe Camo?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Canoe Camo?

Postby Snaph » Fri May 20, 2005 9:07 pm

Do any of you know the best way to camo (paint or whatever) a plastic canoe? I got a good deal on one but it is red...can't have that. And yes, I am ready for smart ass answers...
Snaph
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri May 20, 2005 9:29 pm

I think the best way to camo a canoe is to paint it in a single color such as dark green. The next thing to do is paint squiggly vertical stripes in two other colors such as light green and straw yellow. Now comes the best camo of all. Take the original base color (green) and hold reeds or grass (whatever is in your typical hunting area) up against the side of your canoe and paint over the reeds (with that original color) and voila! You have the perfect stencile. The only thing left behind is yellow and light green reeds with a dark green background. I've painted many boats and canoes using this technique. You can also use leaves from trees etc. I think that Sumac makes an awesome pattern. I painted my boat using two different schemes. Hardwood on one side and marsh grass on the other so I can blend with two different enviroments.

:thumbsup:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby h2ofwlr » Fri May 20, 2005 9:48 pm

a plastic primer is the key. Go to good paint stores and ask LOTS of questions. The key is to bond the paint to the plastic--overwise it is forever flaking off. Also use spray painter--it goes on 10 times faster than a roller/brush. :thumbsup:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby brdprey » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:00 am

good thing krylon has that plastic paint now. specifically made for plastic items...........hmmm such as a plastic canoe........... :thumbsup:
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby Snaph » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:55 pm

Thanks guys.
Snaph
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:33 pm

Snafu,
Glad you brought this up. Because last fall I too bought a red plastic canoe, and was wondering how to paint it.

I have also thought of using some of those stencils you can get out of a famous outfitter chain (dont want to be known as a :spam: er).

Does anyone know anything 'bout these?

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Snaph » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:11 pm

WOW, I was not going to get that fancy. But I like it. I would not call it SPAM if somebody is asking a way to do something, or a product that will get what we want done. If you are not making a buck off the product...who cares. I was looking for somebody that might have done this. I want paint that will not flake when the canoe flexes. And I got those answers. Pete...that was I had planned to do...so thanks again...but now I want to know more about the stuff Stouff was talking about. If you are afraid of spamming...PM me. My E-mail is no secret either.
Snaph
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:43 pm

I was just messin around. If I got docked for somthing like that, then...well anyways, it wouldn be a problem.

I was refering to the product in Cabelas, Ive seen that product used before (my neighbor even used it on his aluminum boat, it looks really nice).

But I need to find a good base coat that will stick to the plasitc good.

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Wiskey River Dux » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:09 am

Try Krylon Fusion. Its specially made for plastic, and it works good!
Wiskey River Dux
Newb

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds