Ok guys i need your help, please read!

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Ok guys i need your help, please read!

Postby Gooseboy » Wed May 25, 2005 6:52 pm

Ok a couple of friends of mine, and I are building a boat. I know laugh all you want, a couple of kids building a boat. But my friends dont really hunt, we are just building it for fun, and to use. I need answers. What we are going to do is just put it together with good plywood, then get a water sealer on it. Then we are going to mount the motor, and the only thing is we are not really building a fancy frame out of it, we are pretty much just putting plywood together. another thing im unsure about. we are sealing the cracks with caulk. The stuff used in houses and stuff. Are there any serious problems in our "plan" and any suggestions, or products that could replace the caulk?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

-gooseboy
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby 98ramtough » Wed May 25, 2005 6:59 pm

No one will laugh at you for building a boat, in fact a lot of guys would probably help you. From your plans it seams like you will struggle a bit. Have you looked around for a cheap 12ft old jon boat etc? I have often bought these for under $100. With the price of lumber and materials you might spend more than that and end up with a product that you are unhappy with...

I am sure someone will chime in with more knowledge, but it seems like you would have to brace the bottom of the boat really well other wise it would fold apart or always have leaks in it.

I am not trying to discourage you from building it, only a few year ago I was your age and wanting a boat, BAD.... Look around in the classifieds, if you see one that an old guy has, stop and talk to him and see if you can work the boat off or something. I have done that twice and got lucky, the old guy hadnt used the aluminum boat in year and was happy to help a kid....

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed May 25, 2005 7:19 pm

what exzactly do you mean fold in? and we thought about that but i think we actually want to be able t o say WE built it. Its sort of silly.

(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby gsphunter » Thu May 26, 2005 7:23 am

Gooseboy, look around on the net. I have an old motor I'm working on, and I found tons of info on it. There is bound to be some kind of plans on the net for you to use.

What Mike means by folding in, is that when you put the boat in the water, the pressure pushing up on the ends of the boat could make is fold in on itself.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat May 28, 2005 6:35 pm

[quote="gsphunter"]Gooseboy, look around on the net. I have an old motor I'm working on, and I found tons of info on it. There is bound to be some kind of plans on the net for you to use.

Gooseboy,

Find your self a good set of plans; easy to read, what gsphunter said is a good idea. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to talk you out of it, man go for it. You’re a smart guy; a set of plans will just help you.

Let your buddy’s keep thinking it’s just for fun, and…….if by chance the plans you find just happen to be for a layout boat all the better. Good luck lil Bro
:thumbsup:
State Moderator

Postby Admin2 » Tue May 31, 2005 6:01 pm

It needs to be marine grade plywood for starter as exterior grade will laminate in no time flat.

Oil based paint is better to protect the wood. You will need to reinforce the seems a 2x2 at corner a minimum, a flat 1 x 6 at long seems across the floor sides.

Building it is one thing--making sure it with not be a safety issue is another.

I'll deferr to a couple of the more experienced boat builders here.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:38 am

hey thanks for all the info guys! :thumbsup:

Gooseboy
Banned

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds