what boat should i get

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

what boat should i get

Postby duckweed » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:22 pm

i have been saving forever and have all fo my gear except for a boat, now i still have $10,000 to spare. i just need to know what kind of boat i should get? Which is the best? just please help me so i can get it and have it rigged up for this years season. please help i am in a very big hurry.
BUY A GUN, PISS OFF A LIBERAL!
duckweed
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:29 pm

what kinda waters will you be using the boat for. big deep water,shallow rivers, muddy marshes etc...
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckweed » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:36 pm

muddy swamps and shallow timber and shallow creeks. so i guess i need a boat for small water. that is where i will be hunting.
BUY A GUN, PISS OFF A LIBERAL!
duckweed
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:52 pm

probly want a prodrive or something like that,for the motor. and probly a 16 foot jon boat. .you want as much room as you can get in the boat for decoys and gear. i am sure you will get more suggestions too.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:25 am

donell,
what do you call those boats that alot of waterfowlers have, that are like 'bout 12-16 ft. and are flat bottom alluminums, and are medium width?

I see alot of folks have 'em, but I dont know what they are called.....

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby the_duckinator » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:55 am

Theyre called jon boats.
49% of us didn't vote for him.

Sorry World (we tried)--half of America

3 nations under Bush's God.
the_duckinator
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:37 am

yeah a jon boat rednek.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HaydenHunter » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:06 pm

With $10K to spend you should be able to get a trailer, nice Jon boat and a shallow water short tail mud motor.

MudMotor manufacturers that make short tails are MudBuddy, ProDrive, GatorTail and GoDevil. Do internet searches of each of their websites. As far as a boat goes, with that budget you should be able to get an off the shelf boat such as Lowe, G3, Tracker or many others. In addition, you might be able to get a custom made boat like GatorTrax, LegendCraft or F&F. Again, search the net and do your research.

Dealers of mud motors abound in the midwest and each will usually carry a custom boat line as well.

I personally use an all welded dead flat bottom boat with rounded chines and big block short tail mud motor. In the swampy stuff where you are running into stumps and roots, you will slide and shimmy your way through obstacles quite well with this type of boat.

Long story short, you should be able to get a 17 to 18 foot boat and mud motor within your $10K budget. Loading it up with mondo options will push the price point higher.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:58 pm

I use a 17' foot Grizzly Tracker all welded flat bottom boat. It easily holds three hunters (we never hunted four but could if we wanted) their gear, 8 dozen decoys (bagged), and a dog. Right now I have a 15 hpwr. merc. outboard that did well this year but want to get a short tail mud motor sometime in the future.

I was really surprised at how well it went through shallow water. I have been very pleased.

I have a Cabela's northern flight grass blind on it that I also like. Grass was a little light but some mud fixed that problem. :mrgreen:

I was patient and found a good deal on a used boat/motor and trailer. Lots of choices out there, just my 2 cents, good luck.

Michael
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:07 pm

Another mudmotor to consider is Beavertails, they are made in MN, so I gotta mention them :mrgreen:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:58 am

the_duckinator wrote:Theyre called jon boats.

Thanks guys!

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

My ideas

Postby Live to Hunt & Fish » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:59 pm

Just make sure that you get a boat that has enough room for all of your decoys, guns, dog and your buddies. So it really depends on what you wanna do.
Live to Hunt & Fish
hunter

Postby greenheader » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:14 am

Get a beavertail, we have one and like it. http://www.fisherbeavertail.com/
greenheader
hunter

Postby cooter » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:22 am

I am a Mud Buddy Man. Bought one (Longtail) 7 years ago, and have done nothing but change the oil, Plug, and keep a clean air filter in it. Oh Yeah, gone through a few props. Rest asure their is no one, and I mean No One that puts their mud rigger through tougher terrain than me. We jumps Beaver Dams, Sand bars, Gravel Spots in rivers.

I do the same type hunting that you are talking about, but I am a believer in getting back to where other people will not push their equipment. I hate hunting with others around to scare off the ducks. This is getting harder and harder to do, with everone going to the Mud Motors.

http://www.gatortraxboats.com/Duck%20Hu ... %20New.htm

Here is the rig I would be looking at if I were buying a New Rig. This boat does not have floatation, but can be added for a couple huntdred dollars. I would ask to see what was the largest Hyper-Drive that the boat you pick could handle, and buy it. You can never have to much HP (torgue). These boat are all smooth bottoms for sideing over hidden objects, and the one that aren't hidden, but we are going over anyway. :yes:

I have seen all the Mud Motors except the Gator Tail. And here is my opinion on all of them.

Long-Tail - Go-Devil & Mud Buddy are far and away the better motors. They all use the same engines, but Beaver-Tail is made much lighter, not near as stout as Go-Devil & Mud-Buddy. But I bought Mud Buddy for the fact that the tail would seing around and lock down in the boat, not stick out the back like a scorpion. But I have friends with the Go-Devils and they are Quality Motors. Just not as many options.

Short -Tail - Pro-Drive & Mud Buddy are about a toss up. Both are very nice motors. I have dealt with both companies and service is top shelf. The Go-Devil that I have heard, left a little to be desired. It sounds like they just built one to get in the market, but Coco's heart is with the Long-Tails.

For the hunting you are talking about, you will be miles ahead by going with a Mud Rig. It will take you places that other can't get with regular rigs. I have had guys tell me that they could do anything aI could do and faster, so it was just a invite to play follow the leader. :eek: Yep, they didn't last till the Whiskey got hot. And Then, when you really learn how to work it, it will take you farther than that, and will take a couple years to get to that point. You will think you are putting the rig through ALL it will do, and then in 2-3 years, you will see what I am talking about.

Should be able to get a Very Nice Mud Rig for the money you are talking. But Again, Get ALL the motor that your boat will handle. cooter
member of: Team GREEN
cooter
hunter

Postby LUV2DUChunt » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:10 am

Duckweed I just got a beavertail boat 1848 and 35 horse MB for right around your price trailer included 10,200 to be exact all new. The motor is awesome it would do exactly what you need. Look into the beAVERTAIL BOAT THEY ARE REAL NICE.
Jason

Get out and Hunt!!! Then youll understand what an addiction is. We all know about it but can't explain it.
LUV2DUChunt
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:27 am

personally I perfer any kinda boat you can afford and will get you there.. but i most like war-eagle most dependiable boat i have every owned even though i have went through 5 props on my merc still holds strong no cracks leaks and they come with badazz blind
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Quackcephus » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:18 am

cooter wrote:For the hunting you are talking about, you will be miles ahead by going with a Mud Rig. It will take you places that other can't get with regular rigs. I have had guys tell me that they could do anything I could do and faster, so it was just a invite to play follow the leader. :eek: Yep, they didn't last till the Whiskey got hot. And Then, when you really learn how to work it, it will take you farther than that, and will take a couple years to get to that point. You will think you are putting the rig through ALL it will do, and then in 2-3 years, you will see what I am talking about.

:yes:

Here's a my rig a 16x44 Go-Devil with a 23hp Go-Devil motor on it... Avery Blind covered with Quack Grass. This pic was taken durin' a year that we didn't get hardly any rain & I'm back in a hole that the ducks were usin' as a loafin' spot on Public... alot boys tried, but they just could get back there. A few tried to walk in (it was a LONG walk), but I could run the boat faster than they could hump all their gear. I practically had the place to myself for most of the season. A few other fella's buried their 4 wheelers tryin' to get in there & some dude with a jacked up 4x4 with all the "stuff" had to walk back when he got stuck. Texas mud is some tricky stuff. I didn't get a boot wet makin' that run until we went to set the decoys. :laughing:

[siteimg]890[/siteimg]
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:06 am

Many good posts on this thread. I drive a GatorTrax boat but feel like GoDevil and Beavertail boats are constructed similarly. These are all premier shallow water boats. You might also look at new companies Excel and Southern Duck Boats. All have websites.

For a combo of fishing and hunting War Eagle is very nice but pricey.

Motors: You do NOT want a long tail mud motor. They were the shallow water standard for years but have been superceded by the new short tails. MudBuddy, ProDrive, GoDevil and GatorTail all make great motors. Beavertail is not in the shorttail game on the mfg side but they do distribute GatorTails. The biggest selection of horsepowers thus far is Mudbuddy. In a short tail they have everything from 14 HP to 35. Price them all and find one to fit your budget. They are all fine motors. Find a dealer that will match boat and motor properly and not blow smoke up your skirt.

Have fun.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds