ALumacraft Boats

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

ALumacraft Boats

Postby Duckhammer » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:30 pm

I have a great 12 ft Aluminum duck boat currently. I think it is a older smokercraft and it aint pretty but it works well. I am thinking about buying one of those 14 ft flat bottom alumacraft boats from Sportsmans wharehoue to be able to haul a few more decoys to the honey hole. It seems like I could easily put on a nice camo job right over the olive drab that comes on them. I got a good 5 horse motor. Anyone got real advice about these boats? I understand they can run really shallow but what about waves and overall stability? I like to stand up in my 12 ft when motoring to a spot. IS this going to be ok in the 14 alumacraft? Any advice is welcome
"Get em"
Duckhammer
hunter

Postby donell67 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:58 am

duckhammer, the alumacraft boats at sportsmans warehouse. are pretty narrow and i dont think would be very stable.dont think they would handle much waves either. if you wanna get a 14 footer i would definately get a wider one.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby the_duckinator » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:32 pm

Flat hull jon boats don't handle waves well at all. If you're buying a new boat I'd highly recommend a semi v hull. Also if you're looking for more room and stability I'd get a 16 footer, maybe a 1648 or somewhere around there.
49% of us didn't vote for him.

Sorry World (we tried)--half of America

3 nations under Bush's God.
the_duckinator
hunter

Postby Elmer Fudd » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:24 pm

I have a 1448 Alumicraft...new 2005...Its seems real stable in river or lakes that dont have 200 ski boats & wave runners about.I have taken it out on the main lake afew times when traffic was low and it did real well.
I have a 15 hp johnson mounted on it..it goes about 18 mph with just me and small amount of gear.2 people and a dog with 3 doz deeks would be about all you could haul.
Oh, this is the Alumicraft MV 1448...so its not a flat bottom but a semi v
Upside Down & Feet Twitchin...
The HeviShot way
Elmer Fudd
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds