converting a bass boat

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

converting a bass boat

Postby michiganduckhunter » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:43 am

A local guy is selling a 16' bass pro tournament modified v (mid 1980s) which has a side console built in decks and compartments. It's been sitting unused for 3 years, some of the time in the sun. I'm interested but I worry about the wiring and cable (mice damage), carpet needs replacing, motor will need some work (what type of work?). I'm considering tearing/cutting out some of the deck space to make more room for a third hunter, dog, deeks. Any one done something like this? Would I damage the boat structurally? I'd rather have the space than the fishing platform. Since I'm not mechanically inclined, is there a market for used outboards and then I could get a newer one that's more reliable? Would a 40 - 50 hp push this boat? Please advise.
Thanks
michiganduckhunter
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:29 pm

I think a 50 would do the job.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:30 pm

I think a 50 would do the job. Though i would prefer a 75.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Re: converting a bass boat

Postby kulsh » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:51 am

michiganduckhunter wrote:A local guy is selling a 16' bass pro tournament modified v (mid 1980s) which has a side console built in decks and compartments. It's been sitting unused for 3 years, some of the time in the sun. I'm interested but I worry about the wiring and cable (mice damage), carpet needs replacing, motor will need some work (what type of work?). I'm considering tearing/cutting out some of the deck space to make more room for a third hunter, dog, deeks. Any one done something like this? Would I damage the boat structurally? I'd rather have the space than the fishing platform. Since I'm not mechanically inclined, is there a market for used outboards and then I could get a newer one that's more reliable? Would a 40 - 50 hp push this boat? Please advise.
Thanks
I hunted with a fisher bass boat last two sessons with built in aluminum aft and forward decks if it is like mine i would not bother with that boat find another like i did. I see your from michigan what kind of water do you hunt . i hunt lake erie, detroit river and on rough days on the water the mod vee woulld not take the waves like a deep vee. the boat sat home on most trips and i was in my buddys boat. and as far as the motor goes it sounds like the same set up as mine and if it is rated for a max of 40hp..
kulsh
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds