home made boat blind out of electric metal conduit

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

home made boat blind out of electric metal conduit

Postby littleone » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:34 am

what is the best way to connect this to the boat. i have a jon boat. thanks for the help in the past. this web site is great
littleone
hunter

Postby michiganduckhunter » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:42 pm

My brother connected slightly larger pieces of conduit, maybe 4" pieces to a rib or rail in the boat. These were "permanently" mounted in a very solid way, also as low profile as possible. The blind itself with long (4' ) pieces of conduit slid into these mounted posts. His was a littel cumbersome as eash piece only fit one spot. Great when it's light out, but tough at 5:30 am when it's getting light and the pieces don't seem to fit anywhere. However you do it...design it for rainy, cold, early mornings.
michiganduckhunter
hunter

Postby littleone » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:14 am

thanks for your help...
littleone
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:52 am

Think of fishing rods and rod holders in how they drop in. Some will flatten a 3/4" piece of conduit about 6" with another 6" or so sticking up and round and then use 2 bolts thru flat and the boat side to hold each boat frame "socket" that the frame slides into. My concern is it would be too loose of a fit and wobble.

I have seen a prefabricated metal piece that is similar to an oar lock and is a socket and has 3 bolt/rivet holes and there is a thumb screw to tighten up so no wobble on the upright pole. Sorry but I do not know who makes them. I suggest doing a google search on boat blinds of similar and maybe somebody has them for sale somewhere. Believe me--it is better to buy than make your own because of the trial and error, and time factor involved.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby Rowdy » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:15 pm

http://www.overtons.com/graphics/produc ... 34359M.jpg

http://www.overtons.com/graphics/produc ... 34358M.jpg

http://www.overtons.com/graphics/produc ... 34363M.jpg

if you need more help i can walk you through a full scisor style boat blind made out of emt conduit

these 3 parts should get you going in the right direction
it is hardware for bimini boat tops
Rowdy
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:57 pm

I second the use of bimini top hardware for scissor-style blinds. I found a site years ago when I built a scissor blind for my last boat that sells plastic ones very cheap. I didn't think the plastic would hold up and bought a lot of extras. Boy was I wrong. In 3 seasons I never broke a single piece and I'm rough on equipment.

Shoot me an e-mail at greenv66@yahoo.com if you would like the website link. That goes for anyone else also. I don't want to spam it on here. I think I also have quite a few pieces sitting around the house I could send you for free if you want them. I'll try to get a picture of them tomorrow if you want them. I also have a few tips for you that you should know before you order the pieces you need, i.e. certain size hardware for certain sized EMT because the measurements they give don't match up correctly.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby michiganduckhunter » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:07 pm

Rowdy wrote: "if you need more help i can walk you through a full scisor style boat blind made out of emt conduit"
I'd be interested in hearing about/seeing your design. I'm thinking about a removable scissor/folding or simple/removable blind for a 16' bass boat. I want to limit any permanent changes to the boat as it will be used for fishing and might get sold.
michiganduckhunter
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:42 pm

You fellows must be using EMT or electrical metalic (thinwall) tubing. If this is the case it is easy to make a bracket with heavy sheet metal and bend it so it fitts over the gunnel of your boat even use a peice of cam-truss channel that will go over the gunnel, drill it and the EMT and bolt it together. makes it easy to install and remove. Thats the "KISS" System, keep it simple stupid. :thumbsup:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Rowdy » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:07 am

michiganduckhunter wrote:Rowdy wrote: "if you need more help i can walk you through a full scisor style boat blind made out of emt conduit"
I'd be interested in hearing about/seeing your design. I'm thinking about a removable scissor/folding or simple/removable blind for a 16' bass boat. I want to limit any permanent changes to the boat as it will be used for fishing and might get sold.

e-mail sent
Rowdy
hunter

Postby malard_man » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:51 pm

if you wanna make the blind removable you can just take a bolt that fits snug in the conduit, bend the bolt at a 45 and stick the other end of the bolt in an oarlock.
malard_man
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds