One Man Boat Users

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

One Man Boat Users

Postby Q2shooter » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:49 am

I'll preface this thread by saying I have used and owned several one-man boats including the Aquapod, Puddler, and various canoes / kayaks. I just purchased a used Phantom (by Otter Outdoors) for $250. This is now my #1 "go to" boat. It tracks extremely well and is surprisingly stable even though it has only a 32" beam. I am not really promoting this product (well maybe a little :smile: ), I am just anxious to use the boat in the field. Anybody else use a similar one-man style boat? At 55lbs this thing will get me to places I would never have even thought about going before.
Q2shooter
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:51 pm

Sounds like you got yourself a nice boat!

I looked at those kind of boats for years and years, but can never talk myself into buying one because there are so few places to use them in around here. I figure if I buy anything I'll get a canoe. I can duck hunt out of it in the winter and then canoe the smallmouth rivers around here during the summer.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby greenheader » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:41 pm

How many pounds can the phantom boat haul, Is it low profile? I need a boat that is light and can haul about 2 doz dekes and that I can pull through the cattails.
greenheader
hunter

Postby Q2shooter » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:09 am

greenheader wrote:How many pounds can the phantom boat haul, Is it low profile? I need a boat that is light and can haul about 2 doz dekes and that I can pull through the cattails.

Boat capacity is about 390lbs.....plenty for one person and a couple dozen decoys. Low profile....yes. It sits about 5-6" above the water.

ol' yeller wrote:Sounds like you got yourself a nice boat!

Thanks. I finished the blind this weekend. Used a 20' piece of raffia grass mounted to plastic fence (a much better alternative to chicken wire). I added a clip on each end attached to the handles. It rolls up and folds down is seconds and takes about as long to attach to the boat.
Q2shooter
hunter

One Man Boat

Postby Mongo Lodge » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:29 pm

There is a lot to be said about a one man boat, especially when small and light and can go anywhere (weather and water conditions permitting). I'll take pictures and post soon of a boat I just finished. It started out life as a Sunfish Sailboat but has changed to a more noble and glorious purpose of duck-goose hunting. Way too heavy for one man to cartop or ride on my pickup's ladder rack like my canoe, it really works best with a small trailer (current project) due to size and weight. It's 14 long and has a 44"beam so it is incredibly stable. It works well with a kayak paddle or even better with a 30 LB thrust Min-Kota with Helms-Mate control extension . I cut out a center cockpit; approximately 7 1/2 feet long and width varies between 24-29". More than enough room to take a child or dog and several dozen deeks and comfortable layout when all covered with artillery netting.
It's one of those "you have to see it to belive it" things. I will post pics soon, I'm trying to schedule some of the guys from the job to get some good boat to boat shots of my duckboat in action next week.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
Mongo Lodge
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds