Duck Hunting Forum banner

Question / Anchoring A Boat Blind

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Fowl Feathers Hunt Club 
#1 ·
I have a 17" War Eagle. I have an Avery blind on it. I usually hunt tidal waters so I relocate with the tide. Unfortunately I do not have a dog right now and doubt I'll train another.

When I hunt I anchor with two anchors, bow and stern. It is a pain to pull anchors and pick up birds. I have been thinking about getting two of the small Power Pole Micro Anchors or two Minn Kota electric anchor winches and mounting them bow and stern. Both types have remote controls so dropping the blind to pull anchors would not be an issue. The Minn Kota winches are a much cheaper option and I'm leaning that way.

How do you guys do it?

I'd appreciate any comments, input or suggestions.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I use layout boats and also hunt tidal waters. I suggest you get a couple of bouys and paint them up so they don't flare birds. Hook them on the ends of the lines and that way you can leave the anchors set and come back and hook up in the same spot. You will need a long pole to grab the lines and make sure there is extra line so you can get both hooked back up before tightening the anchor lines again. If you are hunting with a buddy and you happen to have a kayak you can bring that along and take turns playing "fetch".

Hope this helps

#4 ·
Ken Aikey said:
I use layout boats and also hunt tidal waters. I suggest you get a couple of bouys and paint them up so they don't flare birds. Hook them on the ends of the lines and that way you can leave the anchors set and come back and hook up in the same spot. You will need a long pole to grab the lines and make sure there is extra line so you can get both hooked back up before tightening the anchor lines again. If you are hunting with a buddy and you happen to have a kayak you can bring that along and take turns playing "fetch".

Hope this helps
I do the same, I use a crab pot float or a decoy to hook on the lines. Works like a champ.

#6 ·
If you're in shallowish waters you can make a shallow water anchor "spud pole" There are commercial ones or check out this site and get together with a few friends and order several as shipping is what is the most expensive. http://www.mgs4u.com/shallow-water-boat-anchors.htm. Do NOT use a standard fiberglass pole or your hands will end up full of glass shards this guy here sells the glass poles which do not shed glass splinters. I personally own a 10' "stick it" anchor pole, but at 10' long it's a pain to store.

That said I agree with the bouy tied on to your anchor line method. Use a crab pot bouy and you can make it look like a deek. Unclip chase the bird then reclip and keep hunting.

#9 ·
FWP said:
Thanks guys

I have used the floats on the anchors but in a current or wind they are hard to handle with the blind up.

I will look into the spud poles. The water I hunt is usually 2 to 6 foot so the poles should work.
Look at the "king pin" bow mount bracket and you can probably build something similar cheaper and put one on either end of the boat.

#10 ·
:-) said:
http://www.amazon.com/FiberStake-Fiberglass-Tree-Stakes-x8/dp/B003405FVW

Never had an issue with splinters using these poles. One of these poles will hold my 23' boat in strong wind & current. Much cheaper than a power pole, but it's also harder to deploy.
Do you do anything special to camo these or just paint them??

#13 ·
jso21 said:
:-) said:
http://www.amazon.com/FiberStake-Fiberglass-Tree-Stakes-x8/dp/B003405FVW

Never had an issue with splinters using these poles. One of these poles will hold my 23' boat in strong wind & current. Much cheaper than a power pole, but it's also harder to deploy.
Do you do anything special to camo these or just paint them??
I leave them white, but they can be painted.

The places I hunt are shallow enough I don't need them if I'm hunting from the boat. I mainly use them when anchoring to fish, or when I get out of the boat to hunt my blinds. We don't have trees to tie off to here in south Texas. Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.