1977 monark boat

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

1977 monark boat

Postby yakima hunter » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:52 pm

hey i have a 1977 16 ft monark boat flat bottom i was wondering what max size motor i should stick on it. its not a big water boat but i need a engine that will get my up the yakima river here in washington help me out guys
yakima hunter
hunter

Postby wa.duckhunter » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:39 am

I would definetly go with a jet motor. The level in that river flectuates so drastically that you would be replacing your prop every trip if you didn't. I would think somewhere around a twenty horse would be plenty for that river, but I wouldn't go any bigger than a fifty horse. Just my two cents.
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Postby greenster » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:04 pm

MonArk use to be a local company here as well as WAR EAGLE but theychanged there name to SEARK now. I would call and ask but I me I would put a 25 max on it.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby yakima hunter » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:40 pm

the back of the boat as only like 2 foot hieght on it so when i just had my 8hp on there crap i thought water would come up over the back. But hey u say seark is what monark is called now because i found a monark marine website but it looks like it is dedicated to bigger boats now
yakima hunter
hunter

Postby greenster » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:12 pm

Yes I guess they just moved then talk to my Father he said it was monark/ durcraft back when. but if it was sagging with 8hp I would get a 9.9 and if you 8hp was a older motor it should sit up a little more the motors are being made lighter all the time..
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby yakima hunter » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:14 pm

yea motor it self weighed a good 150 lbs
yakima hunter
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:16 pm

I would give the company a call and see what they would recommend.

Remember that if you go with a jet you lose about 1/3 of the horse power that the motor has. If I was running a jet I'd look for a 35 or 40 horse motor.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby VtMike » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:14 pm

Just bought a 16' Monark w/ a 50hp Merc. Goes like hell, but after it gets up to plane it starts to pop, hop or what ever you want to call it. I'm heading out tomorrow to give it another run. First time out we were just testing it out for leaks and engine performance. I'm going to load up the bow with some weight to see if I can get it to run out smooth. Will check back and post the results.
If it looks like it bites..........Don't Pet it!!!
VtMike
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:18 pm

VtMike, does your boat electric trim/tilt? If not just adjust the pin down a notch on your motor and it should take care of the hopping.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby VtMike » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:26 pm

It has electric trim. Played around with it but had no luck smoothing it out. My 6 year old was with me and clearly not impressed! :toofunny: I'm heading out myself tomorrow should be able to work on it a bit more. I have the motor all the way down and it hops. I'm new to this big of a motor as well as being able to trim it out. I've only had to deal with a 4 hp evenrude. Any advice is welcome!
VtMike
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:33 pm

That is one big motor for a 16 footer. I have a 60 on my 16 footer and it gets flat out scary sometimes. :laughing:

Another option you may look into if it keeps hopping are some trim tabs. If you don't want to go that route I remember reading a thread on another forum about a guy who had someone weld a 12" bead down the bottom of the transom of the boat. It created enough drag that it pushed the front down. Good luck! :thumbsup:
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby VtMike » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:44 pm

Thanks.....I'll mess around with the trim settings and see what I can do. I'm hoping with that and some weight it will help.
Thanks again! :salude:
VtMike
hunter

Postby yakima hunter » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:05 pm

to fix that proble u need someone in the front of the boat because all that is touching the water is the back of the boat and u wont have much stability
yakima hunter
hunter

Postby VtMike » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:26 pm

Put a couple of tubes of sand in the bow....Planed out perfect!!! Should work out great once loaded with gear and a blind. Leaks seem to be undercontrol too....now onto the paint.. :salude:
VtMike
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds