New Prospect

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

New Prospect

Postby gsphunter » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:13 am

Hey guys a buddy of mine brought this boat home from his lake house so we could use it this season. We live about 15 minutes from the Mississippi or the Missouri so it works out well.

It needs some work as far as camo, but it runs well and should be fine for two people to hunt out of.

Any body have any experience in using a fishin boat as a duck boat. I'd like to hear from ya. Alright heres the picture finally.

[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/gsphunter/P8010158.jpg[/img]

[/img]
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:49 pm

good looking boat. I'm sure others will tell you otherwise but all we did ( my cousin and I) was paint over the old paint. You appear however, to have a clear-coat. do a search around here and I know you'll come up with H20fwlr's suggestions.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby kulsh » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:08 pm

I used the same setup last sesson. the problem i had with mine was there was not alot of room for decoys and gear with the forward and aft decks.
also i could not find a blind that would work with my boat. the side console was to high and to close to the side of the boat. when you tryed to swing the blind up it would hit the console. so i just used the boat as a transport boat and just hunted off the islands. i just bought a new boat so i can do some boat blind hunting
kulsh
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:21 pm

You could either paint it, Camo Clad it or possibly find a blind that would cover the boat down to the water line. That way you wouldn't have to paint up a boat that is in perfectly good shape.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:33 am

I know that I won't be painting or camo cladding it. It would be cool but I don't think my buddy would go for that, since it is his boat.

I was thinking camo burlap or something similar for the sides and making a pvc blind for it. I haven't really looked at it good enough to know what would be the best way to go about it.

The decks do sucks because like you said, you can't keep a whole lot in the boat. Maybe some tie downs would work.

Thanks for the replies, hopefully I'll work something out by this fall.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby greenster » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:27 am

If you hunting out of it all you need to do is sand it down to bare metal and spray her down pretty simple. But make sure you don’t add a clear.....or you can buy come camo burlap or type of camo and put around the sides and then throw your blind over that will be easier and less expensive. Might I also add not messing with a buddy’s paint job.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ol' yeller » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:37 am

Another option (if you know someone that sews) is to have a camo "skirt" made for the boat. Something that would have elastic sewn in around the top and bottom to hold it on.
ol' yeller
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds