Godevil or Mudbuddy?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Godevil or Mudbuddy?

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:56 pm

OK Y'all...

I dont currently have a jon boat, but am already planning for next season :mrgreen: .

I have gotten brochures from both Mudbuddy and Godevil--- they both look pretty much the same.

What is the difference, and pros and cons.

Incase it helps I would most likely git something along the lines of a 16'X38" jon boat if I do.

Thanks a bunch! :salude:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:01 pm

I'm pretty sure one has reverse and the other doesn't. Can't remember which one it is, but that is one difference I'm pretty sure.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:26 pm

Between these 2, there's not really too much difference in long shafts. The Mud Buddy has a neutral with it's Sport model short shaft. Neither has reverse. Companies with reverse are Pro-Drive and Beavertail/GatorTail. Haven't heard too much about Go Devil's short shaft, as it hasn't been out too long. MB has had there's out for a little while and it has been a proven performer. I'm sure GD's is a top notch model as well, just haven't heard too much yet.

If you get a 16' boat, try to get one a little wider than that, like 44 inches. It'll float a lot better and perform very well with a mud motor.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:36 pm

Evil, Thanks.

Ill consider gitting a wider boat too :thumbsup:

Ok then, just one more dumb question.... What is the difference in the short and long shaft models. Does one perform better under better conditions...?

Thanks,
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:27 am

The mud motor companies started following Beavertail's lead of making the shart shaft, belt driven motors, I guess because of the quicker speed and ease of handling. The trim on a short shaft is the cat's meow.

Check this other thread on the topic:
http://duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=7392

Definitely think of a wider boat. Believe it or not, the 44" will perform better than a 38", as it will float higher and have to push less water outta the way. Plus you'll want the extra room for more gear shtuff :cool:

Tell ya what though, the long shafts definitely look cooler.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:14 am

Beavertail did not come out with the original short shaft. They are a dealer for Gator Tail, which is arguably the original belt drive. As a manufacturer, Beavertail makes longtail mud motors and blinds. The first shorty to actually hit the market was ProDrive, which uses gears, followed by the MudBuddy HyperDrive.

I have no experience with anything other than the MudBuddy. Have run them for the last year and liked them. The addition of a neutral feature in '05 has been welcome, but the 04's without it run well too.

Short tails will run faster than a longtail with the same size engine. Has to do with the prop. Longtails can have an occasional advantage in heavy weeds and mud when you get really stuck. Other than that, shortys are much easier to drive and faster. Most folks buy shorttails now, given the performance advantages and the user-friendliness of operation vs. longtail.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:00 am

Yeah that's what I said:

"Beavertail's lead of making the shart shaft, belt driven motors"

Gator-Tail and Beavertail are pretty much now considered the same entity (following Mark Fisher). Pro-drive is the only company I know of that makes a gear driven short shaft. Both Mud Buddy and Go Devil, which are the two he asked about, make belt driven short shafts.

I've driven or played with most of the brands out there. I now have a MB Hyper as well, but chose not to get the Sport model. I like the convenience of the neutral, but have reservations about the clutch. In the thick stuff that I run in, I would be afraid of burning up a clutch like that in a heartbeat.

Also, the reverse on the pro-drive does not look all that user friendly to me. You have to spin the entire outdrive around beneath the body of the engine. Although it would be a FULL power reverse. Could be real nice as long as you don't use it all the time.

Right now my reverse is a push pole :yes:
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:42 am

Evil,

I will let you know about clutch durability. I ran a balanced Hyper last year but just got my Sport Hyper with clutch. I opted for the electric clutch vs. the centrifugal, or "auto" clutch. Have run centri's though.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:53 am

Yeah I would definitely like to know how they measure up. Keep us informed.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:48 am

Haden & Evil....

I have learned alot so far! :salude:

Thanks fer the info... and keep it comin :getdown:

Also, do you guys prefer the short or the long shaft? I like the idea of going faster... But also like the idea of being able to git thru really thick weeds (not to mention they DO look kooler :cool: )

You guys are awesome :thumbsup:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby UT Greenhead » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:26 pm

This is my first post on this site, but I've been around da mud motor scene for da past three years or so. When it was just Go-Devil and Mud Buddy things where calm, and most outboard users thought the long-tails where too hard to drive, too slow, and cost too much for a lawn mower engine on a steel frame. I'm not going to argue any of that, but at least two of the three are true to me (and I had one).

NOW......With the introduction of the short-tails things have gotten interesting. The first to develop a short-tail almost 9 years ago (yes 9) was a guy named Brian Provost in Laurelville, LA. His short-tail would later be known as a Pro-Drive. The extremely weird thing was the second to develop one was a college student named Kyle Brausard, also of Laurelville, LA. He was going to school to be an engineer and the motor was actually his engineer project. This was done about 4-5 years ago if I'm not mistaken. His motor would be named Gator-Tail.

Here's where things got very interesting.

About two years ago Mud Buddy entered the short-tail market. The "Smoke and Mirrors" behind this was...... Mud Buddy claimed they had been testing their short-tail for 5 years, but no one had ever seen nor heard of this in the past. In many people's opinions (including mine) they rushed their first try (balanced hyper) to market because they knew they were going to begin loosing their tails. Some of which made bold proclamations that MB would have lots of problems because they didn't do near the R&D they had said they did. Mud Buddy touted they where leading the way into the future with their version of the short-tail with their longer drive shaft and balanced drive system that didn't need neutral. This was somewhat correct; the balanced drive didn't need neutral. Problem was the drive shaft was too long for easy steering, and the balanced drive wouldn't let the prop dig into the thick stuff. One conversation I had with Kyle of GT, he told me "Mud Buddy rushed their product to market, wait till next year they will change to a shorter drive shaft, move the weight back, and add a neutral." Sure enough, dat dude knew what he was talk'n bout.

Not to mention Mud Buddy had quit a few problems with their actuators on their electric tilt/trim which some blamed on their vendor, and others blamed on their rush to market.

Now to Go-Devil. Mr. Coco (dat man deserves all our respect) at first said he would not get into the short-tail market because demand on the long-tail was still there. After everyone realized the short-tails handled better, ran faster, carried a load better, and had better options Mr. Coco decided to get into the short-tail market. He started making prototypes last spring, and continued the R&D throughout the rest of 04'. His "Surface Drive" has recently been released and is one heck of a machine.

I must also mention......I'm the VERY proud owner of a Pro-Drive boat/motor combo. I've put 45 hours on it since April 15th of this year. I've also been to a few "Mud Fest" this year and can say most all these motors are completely awesome. There is one however I wouldn't own if someone gave it to me (I'd sell it though :yes: ), simply because I feel they are very unethical. All in all.... They all get the job done, some maybe a little better than others, but that's why you need to run em and figure out which one suits you best. :thumbsup:
“You can agree with me or you can be wrong!”
UT Greenhead
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:12 pm

UTGreenhead,

Those are some pretty strong opinions, accusations and slanderous statements about MudBuddy for a fella that probably has zero hours stick time on a balanced Hyper. I have over 100.

Duck Hunting chat is a nice and peaceful board with none of the acrimony that has all but ruined other boards.

By the way, I haven't seen you on the other board. I am betting you got booted for such pointed opinions that are often based not on solid fact but rather on outright hearsay. Not to mention the personal attacks.

I did not debate you on the other board although it took some real willpower. I implore you to stick to the facts and make your opinions less volatile on this board or it will go south.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:11 pm

i use a yamaha outboard.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby T.B. Smackdown » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:39 pm

Gooseboy wrote:i use a yamaha outboard.

my brotherinlaw has a 40 hp yamaha 2stroke and that will fly on his 1650xpress. we use it fishing alot. he does use it for duck hunting but has to go real slow because he has tilt and trim on it and he is afraid he will tear it up. but when he gets in open water he is gone.
T.B. Smackdown
hunter

Postby UT Greenhead » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:45 pm

Hayden,

Good to be able to carry on a conversation with you again. I've always respected you for your mild mannered post not to mention your ability to see through most of the “crap” floating around on other sites. By the tone perceived from your previous post, I unfortunately don't feel that respect is mutual. Maybe I can one day earn your respect and hopefully convince you that my opinion is no greater, or any less legitimate than yours.

To address your statement of being banned from TOS, you are correct I was banned. Seems some don't want opinions shared when others don't agree with theirs or a question I asked as to whether or not MB had bought the site. Apparently some didn't welcome that question; however I simply wanted to know what I was up against. BTW.....I had been told by a person "in the know" the fuge was paid $3,500 per year by MB in an effort to minimize doubt being cast regarding past marketing tactics and future products.

Although your statement regarding hours on a hyper was not a question, but worded more as what I perceive a "slanderous statement", I will answer it. You are very correct.... I don't have a single hour on a hyper or hyper sport, nor will I ever have an hour on anything with MB on it. Good thing about that is.........I'm free to do just that. If you don't mind, could you please enlighten me on how many hours you have on PD, GT, and GD? Not for one second saying you don't have hours on any, but in an effort to understand your intelligence for all TOM's, I would like to know.

I'm not trying to start anything on this forum. It seems to be very well run and in an effort to honor the owner/moderators wishes I will continue to post here with a smile on my face. However, I would love to debate you anytime as long as we can keep it civilized.

BTW....I don't recall you responding to the statement regarding MB's props being made in China. Is that in fact true?
UT Greenhead
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:50 am

UT,

Not sure if the props are made in USA, China or anywhere else. It doesn't matter; they are good quality. Last time out with the new HyperSport I ran in an area unknown to me with cloudy water. I was told there would be mud but no rocks. Wrong! I savagely banged the prop every time I ventured into the skinnys. Was real impressed at the minor knicks that can be filed down. Didn't even have to break out the die grinder. Have done that before.

To answer your other question, I have zero sticktime on ProDrive or any other shorty. I have therefore tried on all boards to frame my comments and posts from that perspective and to not falsely give the impression that I was experienced with the others.

Up here in the Idaho Panhandle there are Go Devil and Mudbuddy dealers. I hope some day to see the Go Devil dealer out on the water and get a chance to drive his shorty. I would also like to some day see a Pro Drive on the water and be able to drive that, too. I saw a Gator Tail with Washington plates cruising on the interstate through CDA the other day but have never seen anything but Hypers on the water in ID or WA.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:58 am

"drive shaft was too long for easy steering, and the balanced drive wouldn't let the prop dig into the thick stuff"

I can tell you from my experience that this is not true.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby UT Greenhead » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:06 pm

Glad you made it out of da rocks. I'm a lot like you. I just like to have fun rid'n these rigs. I know you're a MB dealer, but I don't form any opinions of people just for that. Only how they choose to push their products. You are a good dude from what I've seen and been told.

Heck, I got stuck five time today (I had to count them all up). And I mean stuck, not slowed down. Had to have a 23 hp Go-Devil long-tail pull me out once, and all other times it took three full grown men to push my boat off/over beaver dams. I had to pull the long-tail 3 times today (my dad). If you're going to use these things like they should be.... you're going to get stuck from time to time. Man was it a rough day. It took us two hours to get to our duck hole (about 1 mile) and two hours to get out. The other 3 hours were spent weedeating our hole.

Evil,

I'm not even going there. All it will start is a peeee'n match.
UT Greenhead
hunter

Postby T.B. Smackdown » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:01 pm

that was the worst best day of my life today! I learned a valuable lesson I am just getting to old for this stuff. I was just about to the point of just digging a hole and crawling in and sticking a boat paddle in the mud for a marker. I think it was to hot to be out there in the first place doing that kind of work. That is the only time that I can remember that my sweat turn mne into a prune. My fingers were wrinkeled up like I was in the water for 10 hours straight when I got home. I never put them in the water. I hope we get a snow storm soon where I can go back and help.
I will say my nephew is the best hunting partner a man could ask for he is a very devoted hunter and fisherman and gives 200% when only 50% is needed and is a lot of fun to enjoy the outdoors with. you can check out his website and see for yourself what a good time is all about.

mudphotos.com
T.B. Smackdown
hunter

Postby UT Greenhead » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:03 pm

It was hot wasn't it Uncle Smackdown? After that last beaver dam, when we wedged da boat between those two stumps, I felt like crawl'n under da boat and drowning myself. I might have done it if there was enough water under it to get my head in. I was so light headed on da way home I had to stop twice to buy more Gatorade. I went through 6 32oz bottles of dat stuff today. Oh well, at least we got er dun. Now we just have to pray for rain before Nov. 26th. If dat happens we're gonna lay a good ol West TN swat'n on some greenheads this year.

BTW, are you go'n to da skeet shoot tomorrow? I figure I'll go, but if I don't I know PeeWee wants to go fish'n. Guess it depends on how worn out I feel tomorrow morning.
UT Greenhead
hunter

Postby T.B. Smackdown » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:37 pm

I can feel your pain. I had a couple dizzie spells and I can't remember some of the stuff we did today. Did we go to the duck blind today or was that a bad dream. When we go back the next time I will have me alot of that gatorade I felt better after I took a drink or two of it. and that rain just came knocking on the door. I just hope it moves about 35 miles northeast of here and set there until opening day. hey give me a call asap i have a question to ask you. i may need your help on a little something.
T.B. Smackdown
hunter

Postby jasonphoto01 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:26 pm

go devil hands down!
jasonphoto01
hunter

Postby chase83 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:32 pm

I just ordered the GD Surface Drive 35HP.... It is very simple!

The PD Isnt powerful enough..
The mudbuddy Belts need lots of replacing..
mud buddy balance system sucks.

I choos GD because they have been around for ever and its simple no extra stupid parts to go wrong..
SHOT EM IN THE FACE!!!
NO MORE skybusting!!

1756vbw G3 35hp GDSD
chase83
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:43 pm

chase83,

Congratulations on the purchase of your motor. I think you made a fine choice.

I must disagree with the generalizations you made about the MudBuddy Hyperdrives. You stated that "the MudBuddy belts need lots of replacing" Simply not true. There were a few belt failures (count 'em on one hand) related to a bad manufacturing lot of Goodyear belts. This was in a population of thousands of Hypers made last year. I am not sure what you mean by "the mud buddy balance system sucks". Last year's Hypers had no neutral and were therefore exquisitely balanced so as to make it easy to place and remove the prop from the water. This year's design is a more weight-back design because the motors now feature neutral. Added weight back keeps the prop down in heavy mud.

I hope Go Devil is spared the pain that the other companies who have already been in the shorttail business have had to endure. Luckily for all, none of these failures were insurmountable. Most were minor. I guess that goes with the territory of putting out a new category of product. I wouldn't trade the minor inconvenience of a broken belt for not having a shorttail last year. I had too much fun. By the way, I ran three different Hypers and didn't break a belt :smile: .

You're gonna love that new shorttail.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:50 am

Pro-Drive has a 32hp block now. I'd say that's pretty powerful.

The belts that MB had a problem with were Goodyear's error, and any new motor will not have the problem.

The balanced HD is nice, I've driven long tails and most short shafts. You must be speaking of the HD-Sport which, as Hayden mentioned, is not really meant to be picked up out of the water very much.

Sounds to me like you chose GD simply because they have been around a long time. Not bad reasoning, but their short tail, like everyone else's has NOT been around long. And the extra parts you are talking about is confusing. Except for PD, all the designs have a tiller, a mount, a motor, belt, belt housing, shaft, pulleys, bearings, and a prop. What are the "extra stupid parts"?

I have not seen any of the major brands put out a bad product. Go Devil's new motor looks like a beast, so I'm sure you'll love it. But I'd put any other 35Van up against it to prove they all work about the same.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds