Godevil or Mudbuddy?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Postby chase83 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:09 am

Sorry guys wasnt trying to bash other products just different things I have heard.... These motors should be simple thats what makes them last and gets you out of the marsh... I did a ton of research and those are the things that concluded my decision and the fact that GD waited to release there product after they learned what to not do.. I like to see when a product isnt just rushed out with new gadgets.. I will say Reverse is nice and neutral is great but really I like simple with these motors and GD was the simplist and it is a power house ....cant wait to see what it can do..
SHOT EM IN THE FACE!!!
NO MORE skybusting!!

1756vbw G3 35hp GDSD
chase83
hunter

Postby UT Greenhead » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:53 pm

You will enjoy your new GD, I'm sure of it. I've seen two of em over the past 5 months. One in Louisiana, the other at Reelfoot here in West TN. They are bullet proof.

Everyone knows MB had their problems, but so have the others. Some have just been in the short-tail game much longer, and went through their "growing pains" long before many people knew what a short-tail MM was. I do know Gator-Tail and Pro-Drive have done some work and "helped" each other out quit a few time. I've also heard Pro-Drive and GoDevil have helped each other out quit a bit over the past year and a half (might be why GoDevil uses a more angled drive than the other belt systems), but I've only heard about the Pro-Drive/GoDevil second hand, so I'm not sure it's true.

If you think GD won't have any motors with failures I'm sorry, but you're probably wrong. One thing you can hang your hat on; All the MM companies have done a GREAT job of standing behind their product. If something does go wrong, rest assured you will be taken care of.

UTG
“You can agree with me or you can be wrong!”
UT Greenhead
hunter

PD works for me

Postby divealso » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:58 pm

Had a 27hp PD for about a year. Old time crawfishermen couldn't believe where it would go. I'm sure other mud motors work ok, but my money is on the PD.
divealso
hunter

Postby chase83 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:08 am

Just got the Motor Yesterday, wow what a beast, this thing is suprisinly quiet, Very fast and A Wonderful balance on it so Easy to lift out of water, not Vibration on the Handle.. I am sure glad I waited for this model instead of going with mudbuddy... If you are looking at these mud motors go drive Go Devils Surface drive.. I cant wait to get more hours on her...
SHOT EM IN THE FACE!!!
NO MORE skybusting!!

1756vbw G3 35hp GDSD
chase83
hunter

mudbuddy

Postby tenntomatohead » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:28 am

Well I have a new 24hp honda mudbuddy hyperdrive and it seems to be bullet proof. I live in memphis and run the wolf river a sandy and muddy river. Last sat was in sometimes 4in of water. it performed fine. You better be a real man, Lots of torque and you have to manhandle the motor in shallow water. Not for girly men! :getdown:
I have a new boat,mudbuddy motor, decoys, dog, 30 yrs experience, seeking good hunting areas, and people to hunt with.
tenntomatohead
Newb

Postby cutt-down » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:23 am

One thing for sure is that all the mud motor companies stand behind their product. As with any new product, there are problems. And from what I've seen those problems have been addressed. And yes, there has been some pretty ugly bashing from several sides on other sites. But that's normal. Look at Ford/Chevy marketing. While some don't agree with the tactics, it obviously works. For all intensive purposes the short-tails will perform like 4-wheel drive outboards. Easy to run! I looked at Pro-Drive, Hyper Drive, & Gator-Tail before I went with the pro-drive. For my PERSONAL preference I chose the pd due to it's more outboard-like style & the fact that it had been out longer than the rest. Go-Devil wasn't in the mix at the time. After I purchased the pd I was asked to rep for them in my area which I do. Not spamming but stating the facts for reference only. Everyone needs to attend a mud fest. You can see the different motors & most will even let you drive them. You meet alot of good folks too! They will all get you places you never were able to get to in an outboard. Opens up alot of places for you to hunt!
cutt-down
hunter

Postby pwhnts5 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:37 am

I have been reading on this site for some time, but today is the first time I decided to post up.

I want to say first off, so no-one gets the wrong idea, I am a Pro-Drive Owner and a Pro-Drive Dealer. I respect all the other opinions posted on here and guys like HH and UT are honest folks, regardless of their opinions.

I have now run all the major shorttails, finally ran the GD last week, ran a GT a few months ago, ran the hypers last year and the hyper sport a few weeks ago. I have run PD motors since they first came out.

Here is my take on all of them.

The Hypers are good motors, had a few more problems being new to the market, however they took good care of folks. They are offering a couple of clutch options this year, just be sure you get the one that meets your needs. The auto clutch is cool, but you have to be careful not to overheat the clutch at slow speeds. The balanced hypers are more difficult to drive and they do ride up more in the junk (compared to the sport models, GT or PD), but are still considerably better then a longtail. They are fast with the larger motors they had out last year. The new sport is very much like the Gator-Tail in design and handling, better then the balanced hyper. They are smooth machines. The 35 hyper sport is impressive.

The GD surface drive is a heavy built machine, I think only second to the PD in "toughness". It is fast and with the drive angle is similar to the PD in "bite" in the grass and junk. It still is a little "pushy" in the corners, similar to the balanced hypers of 04. It is still a balanced drive with no neutral, but is seems to be great option.

The GT is the first of the belt driven models developed. It is a powerful unit and seems to be the fastest stoke model HP for HP. Again, the shorter shaft makes it handle better then the others balanced models. They have reworked there reverse option for this year and are offering a conventional reverse unit. I have not seen this model yet. It is a great machine and a great company.

The Pro-Drive was the first and has the longest development history. Unlike the others it is gear driven. it also has the shortest drive and the most weight back over the prop. This makes it the easiest of the four to drive in rough water, mud and shallow water and in hard cornering. The minimal profile in the water means less tiller push in corners. It will hit thing harder then the others, so that is one plus for the more balanced drives, however the PD is over built to take the punishment. The PD 32 is running very close to the other 31-35 HP motors as far as speed and seems to be a bit better with load. I do believe that the angled drive of the PD is one of the big differences. This can be argued by others, but I have run all four in similar situations and the PD was the easiest to get out of the grass, shallow mud and really thick stuff. The PD reverse (which turns the lower unit 180 degrees) is the king in the shallows, it will get you out of stuff no other can, this is no bs, it is amazing to see.

In summary, they are all great motors, it just depends on what you want and what best meets your needs. Any one of these motors will do circles around a long-tail on 99% of the situations you put them in. I would suggest you get as much information as you can, drive them if you can and make an informed decision based on your needs.

Again, other may not agree with me and thats okay. I for one have taken the time to try them all, granted I am a dealer and I don't think I am without bias for a minute. But I try to be straight forward with folks. It is hard to really compare all four without driving each one. They all have their advantages and strengths.

Thanks, hope this is helpful, or at least gets you asking more questions and doing more research as you look at all your options.

PW
Illowa Marine - Illowa Pro-Drive
Phowler Boat Company
Best Hull Warranty in the Bussiness
http://www.larrysillowamarine.com
http://www.phowlerboatcompany.com
email: larrys-prodrive@mchsi.com

Clinton, Iowa 52732 Ph: 563-242-8969
pwhnts5
DHC Sponsor

Postby Evil_McNasty » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:41 am

Good post pwhnts5.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:49 am

Welcome aboard PW and thanks for your well-informed .02

About the only thing I could add is that availability of a local dealer should go in the plus column as you evaluate your mm choices. A local dealer will take you for a test drive, sometimes (where possible) even dropping a motor on your boat. He will be there if service issues arise, to either repair your motor or to assist you in remedying warranty issues with a manufacturer.

There are geographical pockets where local dealers do not exist and your only option is to choose and buy over the phone. But if you do have access to dealers in your area they are a critical ingredient in maximizing your satisfaction with your purchase decision.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby twin_teal » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:42 pm

neither, get an airboat
why have a mud motor when you could have an airboat?
twin_teal
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:44 pm

I live in airboat central and there's a lot of great hunting spots that are off limits to them. Plus gas (and upkeep/repair) is cheaper on a mud motor.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby Nab » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:16 am

There is a GD dealer up in Alaska and he has some of the new surface drives also - I'll find out where he is and let you know.
Nab
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:55 pm

Nab wrote:There is a GD dealer up in Alaska and he has some of the new surface drives also - I'll find out where he is and let you know.

Thanks, that would be great.

I know we have MB dealer somewhere in Anch. but didnt know bout the GD...

:salude:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Previous

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds