I need help choosing the right marsh boat!

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

I need help choosing the right marsh boat!

Postby scoutblox » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:40 am

I am looking to buy a layout boat, something like Carstens Pintail, but before I buy one I want to know that I won't wish I had gotten a different one later. What are you guys using, what +/_ of your rig. I mainly want it for small water w/2 man capacity, river floats, and maybe some meduim water layouts. Any help would be appreciated! :salude:
scoutblox
Newb

Postby Webfoot12 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:24 pm

Here is a group of very popular layout boats used in the marsh areas where I hunt. A lot of guys use a 5 or 6 horsepower mud buddy and they can go anywhere. Good Luck

http://www.fourriverslayoutboats.com/
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby scoutblox » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:10 am

Thanks a lot, those boats are just what I am looking for! Have you had any issues with these boats that you would want different? :thumbsup:
scoutblox
Newb

Postby widgeon1013 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:18 pm

Do yourself a favor check out momarsh.com...they have 2 boats that may suit your needs...I just ordered the Fat Boy DP and it is sole purpose is to hunt both habitats (open water and marsh)...If you want to hunt 2 out of the boat check out the 4 rivers....personally I would not hunt 2 out of a layout boat unless it was a pumkinseed style....way more sea worthy...

Good Luck...!
"There is always one more river not to cross, but to follow" ~ E. Abbey
widgeon1013
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:59 pm

i am also in the market for a layout and have been looking into them for some time.

check out the Otter Stealth 2000. very VERY stable and 2 man capable.

http://www.otteroutdoors.com/stealth2000.html

this is going to be my new sneaker this year! :getdown:
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:01 pm

I have never sat or stood in a Stealth 2000, but the Four Rivers boat, largest model is 6" wider. It sits lower too. It does not need a dog ramp or an accesory to attach a motor. I put some carpet on the dog plat form to give her some traction when climbing on. It really is a nice boat. I personally know the designer as well. So I guess I'm a little partial.

Scoutblox, There is nothing I would really change about this boat. It sits low, easy to conceal and a pleasure to hun it. It is tough to get shots off other than what is right in front of you. But I guess that is true with any layout style of boat/blind.
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby dcduckhunt » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:58 pm

or just get a 10 foot jon boat
dcduckhunt
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds