Kayak hunting

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Kayak hunting

Postby MicroMike » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:20 am

Any of you guys have any tips for a duck hunter who is going to try his hand at hunting from a kayak this year.
MicroMike
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:19 pm

If you don't already have a kayak, make sure that it is:
1) stable
2) has enough storage
3) has a large enough cockpit
4) is at least close to a natural - camoflauge- color (i.e. not orange or pink)
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:38 pm

:withstupid:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby michiganduckhunter » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:39 pm

I've hunted out of my 15' Necky, light gray, a number of times. I wrapped camo burlap around the nose, bungeed it , and then laid more across the bow deck. I put my zip opne case, half unzipped under the deck bungees. Not a bad idea to tie a string from the gun to the boat just in case. It wokred best in tight reeds and narrow canals close to land. Quiet, paddle up slow, and coast in for a shot as you round a corner. I used a normal kayak paddle but it might work better to use only half so it's short and easier to put down and trade for the gun.
Good luck
michiganduckhunter
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:07 pm

If you teather the paddle to the deck you can just set it in the water so you can reach for your gun.

michiganduckhunter - did you bungee the burlap under the boat? How much burlap did you have to use? I have a 9 footer, that is unfortunat4ely bright orange....I thought of getting a few yards and cutting out a hole for the cockpit. -on my list before the season.-
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby michiganduckhunter » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:10 pm

I had a 15 foot piece of camo burlap but only needed part of it from bow tip to just in front of the cockpit. Your idea of getting 12' of camo and going from tip to tip and cutting a cokpit hole would work fine I'd think.
I wrapped a bungee around the circumference of the boat to hold the camo in place.. It would add a little drag but not much.
michiganduckhunter
hunter

Postby lars » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:15 pm

I am going to school in Ely, and I have my 14 foot v-hull, and my old town kayak. Everybody else goes after em on the big lakes. but i have found that jump shooting out of it is a breeze :thumbsup: and soo far i am positive i have killed more ducks than anyone else up here-in fact this Saturday i got my limit in about 2 hours.

good stuff, its hairy at first, but you get comfortable with it. Good Luck!
lars
hunter

Using Kayak in Florida

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:34 pm

Just started using my Kayaks for Duck Hunting. They are bright yellow and blue wilderness system tandem kayak. My wife sewed covers from camo material I bought at Wal-Mart. They open up a lot of areas you can't go other wise. I also found that when you shout sideways you have to make sure you balance so the kayak won't role.

My father-in-law found our the hard way to make sure when you slide into water hycinths or heavy growth it can become a bit more unstable.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:28 pm

I recently had the joy of taking my kayak into a small hole with a beave dam that is in the process of being built. basically it is strewn with debris that was not there when I scouted it out just less than a month ago.
That can make for a precarious paddle. I am still figuring out the best ways to do it. so far I've decided to tie the decoy bag to the back of the kayak and drag them through the water, and instead of maming a cover with burlap I pulled the kayak to shore and joust covered it. Basically I wanted the kayak there in lieu of a dog.

PS: lars have you tried to hunt in the BWCA?
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby lars » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:55 am

I have only hunted in the BWCA soo far.- havent had to look in other spots.
lars
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds