LAYOUT BOAT HELP??

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

LAYOUT BOAT HELP??

Postby buster_22 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:34 pm

Hey guys I'm really interested in layout shooting my question is, how much money would i save if i built one myself? and how much time do i need to set a side? I see these layout boats going for $700.00 plus all the way up to thousands thats not going to work on college student funds. Im going to use this boat maybe 5 times so nothing real expensive. Please help i'm not sure what to buy or where to start building. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT......THANKS
Never stand down wind of Buster "the spitter" 22 when he is calling on his SMM ! :laughing:

courtesy of Admin2 :thumbsup:
buster_22
Pro Hunter

Postby joetc » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:33 pm

I just bought an otter phantom layout boat and its setup real nice and it was only $480. I have it in the living room of my college apartment and I can't wait to get out in it this weekend for opener. Its light weight and durable (3 year warranty). I'm not sure if thats in your price range but Ill let you know how she works next weekend.

Joe
"I never live bigger or go at life harder than during duck season." -Doug Larsen
joetc
hunter

Postby buster_22 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:04 pm

Hey thats cool, What college do you attend? Let me know how it works out i'm interested to know.... Thanks for the reply :salude:
Never stand down wind of Buster "the spitter" 22 when he is calling on his SMM ! :laughing:

buster_22
Pro Hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:08 am

Buster......there are an infinite number of answers to your inquiry....first off, if you are hunting from a 'real' layout boat like an MLB, you will spend at least $1,500 with shipping for a Classic........to make a Busik layout you will have alot of hours invested and about $600 in materials.......I felt it was better to purchase than make since my time is valuable.......materials may be higher these days!..........On the other spectrum, I made a layout coffin with flip wings , fully fiberglassed and water tight for about $150.......used the same rib design 'system' as used in making a full boat and completed the work in about ten hours (of course not all at once due to required curing periods). I guess you could compare that to a Phantom, but alittle heavier I bet. Mine is about 40 lbs and I fully grassed it. You might have to consider your environment too when making a decision to purchase ot make......do you have work space and tools that will enable you to rabbit cut and mitre....and to let your work cure?
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby buster_22 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:14 pm

Yeah I have all the room and I think all the tools I'll need to make my own layout boat. It seems a lot cheaper if I do it myself then spending a thousand dollars on one. I don't care if the project takes me a whole month I'll still be saving. The only part i'm not sure on is the fiberglass or Epoxy I have never used that before ( IS THAT GOING TO BE REALLY HARD ) and mess up the shape of the boat?? Thanks guys for the help

buster_22
Pro Hunter

Postby joetc » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:10 pm

buster- I go to North Dakota State and we hunt about 1/2 hr to an hour from campus. We did real good last year hunting from shore and this year is looking even better with more ducks and a boat. Where do you go?

Joe
"I never live bigger or go at life harder than during duck season." -Doug Larsen
joetc
hunter

Postby bubba1 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:46 am

Buster

I have made a wooden strip canoe that I fiberglassed and epoxied on the outside and just epoxy on the inside. Turned out beautiful. I have now started making a 16' skiff, which is made out of plywood and encased in epoxy. I am no expert, but it isn't that hard to work with.

First rule is ventilation, cann't have enough. Second rule, it cover everything you don't want epoxy on, including yourself. I wear an apron, gloved, these sleeve things to protect my arms and glasses. Thrid rule, have everything ready and do a test run. Once you start mixing, there is no going back. If something is wrong, you have to throw the pot out, and it's expensive. I get my stuff from WWW.RAMA.COM, good prices and good product. The best is the West System, but it's darn near twice as expensive.

The best site to learn from is WWW.duckboats.net, by the way this is the boat I am now building.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Bubba
There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the potatos and gravy.
bubba1
hunter

Postby bubba1 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:03 am

Sorry it's WWW.RAKA.Com

My bad.
bubba1
hunter

Postby buster_22 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:11 pm

Thanks for the great info. Those websites are great. I go to school at Siena Heights in Michigan which is located in Adrian. I hunt Lake Erie and small inland lakes around me. Great info guys ( Any pictures of homemade boats send my way I would like to see how they turned out ) Thanks

buster_22
Pro Hunter

Postby bcinerie@aol.com » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:51 am

Buy a paul busick layout theyare the best!!!!!

BC
Brandon
bcinerie@aol.com
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:21 pm

don't overlook the opportunity to buy a used boat.

post up in various hunting forums that you want to buy one...there are usually a few people that bought one and then found out it wasn't what they wanted or needed or even thought they were getting.

some people just buy things...then keep them for awhile and sell them again.

i just bought a used 14' layout style boat complete with blind, grass, camo material, oars, life vest, and a 2.2hp outboard for $250.00!!!! :eek:

all it took was a post and about 2 days wait.

you can see pics of the boat in the USS Swampy thread in the honey hole.....and no. it's not for sale. lol.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby buster_22 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:03 pm

are you serious 250.00 thats is a good buy. I just bought plans off line for 45.00 I thought about building one. But for $250.00 i would of rather done that and been done with it. Thanks for the tip.

buster_22
Pro Hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:00 am

buster...i almost did the "build it yourself" thing. lots to be said for that.

good luck...and i'll keep an eye out for ya. :salude:
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:24 am

Check out this site http://karaboat.tripod.com/index.html you might find something or this one http://www.conservationcafe.com/cgi-bin ... /1823.html?

There is a lot of info on the threads on this site from guys that have built their own. here it is http://oldducker.proboards41.com/index.cgi?board=Boat
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:34 am

my hunting buddy just bought one of those Kara boats. very nice. super lightweight..1/8" ply with glass over it. i'm guessing no more than 60lbs. one person can easily drag it around and 2 people can toss it into a truck with little effort. his was 10' bow to stern and looks like it should be really stable.

i'll try to get some pics of it when we take them out in a week or so for the maiden voyages.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby stampnducks » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:01 am

Im in the process of building one now. It is a two man 17 footer. I also bought the plans for a single seater. I debated buying or building and decided to take the challenge. Shane
stampnducks
hunter

Postby bubba1 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:06 pm

Stampnducks,

Where did you get the plans? Keep us updated on your progress. Would like to see pictures.

Bubba1
bubba1
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds