Seeking input on Old Town Predator SS150 Canoe for duck hunt

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Seeking input on Old Town Predator SS150 Canoe for duck hunt

Postby Samurai » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:48 pm

I hunt the Klamath Falls marshes on the Oregon/California border with my son (17) or a friend. Would like to try the areas for non-motorized boats (hoping to get away from the crowds). I've been in canoes and kayaks, but by no means an expert and never in duck hunting garb -- so looking mostly for stability. Plan to use a electric trolling motor to help power the rig. Likely will hunt on islands and use the canoe to get from point A to B in shallow water marshes (although canals around the marsh are deep). Any guidance is appreciated.
Samurai
hunter

Postby capt. ken » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:04 pm

gheenoe's are very stabileand would work well for you . Also if you poke around a bit on the net there are outrigger stabiliezers(sp) avalible and they are very nice. I just can't remember who makes them
shoot em, shoot em in the head
capt. ken
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:51 am

:welcome:
Most stable canoes I have come across are Raddisson, they can also be found under the Sportsmans Pal name, which is what it is carried under for Canadian distribution.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:39 am

Standard canoes are tippy and if you are not very well versed in their operation you WILL tip one over. Do you really want to do that when it's 20 degrees outside? As others have said, the Gheenoe and Sportspal Canoes are much more stable.

You might also look at boats like the Attbar Aquapod (www.attbar.com) and the Marsh Rat. Very roomy and stable. I bought a 12' Pod over the offseason and am looking forward to using it in the conditions you describe. They are made out west (WA) so shipping shouldn't hurt you too bad.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:27 pm

The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Samurai » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:31 pm

Thanks HaydenHunter and Gooseboy for your suggestions. I'm checking into them, but one of my concerns is the weight capacity of both the Stealth 2000 (550 lbs) and the Aquapod (465 lbs). With myself and my son, a dog, decoys, trolling motor and battery, etc. I'm concerned that I might be over the weight limit. The predator square stern canoe has a weight capacity of 850 lbs. I absolutely am looking at the input of a canoe's tippyness and really don't want the 20 degree bath, so that is what has me worried. It may be that I wimp out and continue to use a guide. Great equipment but less flexibility to go out when I'm available and of course the $$$. I figured my guide fees would cover the cost of the equipment in one or two years. Thanks everyone for taking the time to learn from your experiences.
Samurai
hunter

Postby jackbat » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:02 pm

Samurai, I have a slightly different take on the subject. If you are hunting with more than just yourself then canoes can be dangerous. There is not much room to swing around, you are generally in clumsy clothing, you probably have decoys, not to mention a couple of loaded firearms.
If you are going to do it, I agree with JJ McGuire that the Radison is the one to do it with. It is almost a misnomer to call it a canoe it is so short and fat, but that is what makes it stable. However with your weight limit concerns, even that is questionable.
I have been designing boats for a number of years (including duck boats) and there are a lot of great designs out there for what you want to do, both powered and unpowered. If you are handy at all and have a couple of spare weekends, you can build exactly what you want for 500 bucks or so.

Good luck with the quest.
In every thing you do, enjoy the journey !
jackbat
hunter

Postby Samurai » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:50 pm

Jackbat -- I will use the boat to get to small islands that are in the marsh and don't plan to actually hunt out of the canoe/boat. Is stability while underway as big a concern, or were you mostly focused on the hunting time? I agree that two trying to shoot out of the canoe seems to be asking for trouble. Some other posts I've read indicated that if you were hunting out of a canoe, the front person shoots and the back person positions the boat. I've hunted out of big jon boats with guides but all the hunting I've done on my own were with my feet on the ground, even if that ground was under a couple fo feet of marsh water. Thanks for the input.
Samurai
hunter

Duck boats have their advantage

Postby jackbat » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:06 am

It really depends on the kind of hunting you are doing. In this neck of the woods, you are in waders, it is probably cold so you are bulked up and then there is the pack of decoys. Just getting in and out of a canoe is a concern. I have a number of different kinds of duck boats that I use for different kinds of hunts. But the best all around boat for me is the garvey style. It can speed me to my location, hide away when I want it to and acts as a great blind when I want to tuck into the weeds. Most importantly, it can handle me, my neighbor, the dog and a couple of dozen decoys. The big advantage over a john boat is the deck and removable seats to give you plenty of room. When I am going to the flats, I leave the motor off and it rows well.

jackbat
hunter

Postby Samurai » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:18 pm

Jackbat --

Very nice looking boat. Did you make it or buy it? Out here on the left coast in the Klamath Falls area, it can get very cold too so we wear neophrene waders and are bundled up as well. It is mostly cattails and brush for cover, no trees and things above us in the marsh. Canals are deep along the edges and in the marsh the water is shallow, often 6 inches or less and soft bottoms away from the tulles. Looks like we have more open space than your photo. Your rig looks great. Thanks for sharing it. I'm envious.
Samurai
hunter

Canoe for duckhunting

Postby mjlduckman » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:50 pm

I've used the Sportspal X-13 by Meyers, marketed by Castlecraft, for 4 years now and find it very stable. Two guys and gear, including 4 dz decoys and a lab and either an electric or 3.5 nissan and for shallow water and river hunting, IMHO it's the best way to go. It's kinda a crossbreed, canoe/boat, and lined with foam and has foam runners on the outside, which make it virtually unsinkable/untipable. My 70lb lab jumps out of it and climbs back in without tipping. Ya gotta learn to shoot while sitting, but it's not hard and kinda relaxing, just like field hunting. Just my $.02
May the skies above you; be blackened with birds
mjlduckman
hunter

Thank you

Postby jackbat » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:43 pm

I built this one, It is one of my designs. I sell boat plans and videos for a living and one of my customers had me design this for him. Its a great boat. I have recently been commisioned to do a number of duck boat designs based on past classics. It is a portfolio of about 6 boats, everything from sculling and power to layout. I have already finished one of the scull floats, it is a Merrymeeting bay boat, but I don't think it would necessarily suite your needs.
But I saw a friend of mine scull this boat withing 5 feet of a flock of geese on buzzards bay. It was amazing to watch.
jackbat
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds