WEED WACKER MOTOR

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

WEED WACKER MOTOR

Postby DUCKANDBUCKAHOLIC » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:05 pm

IM BUILDING A MUD MOTOR OUT OF A 32cc WEED WACKER. WHAT IM DOING IS TAKING OF THE WACKING PART AND PUTING ON A TROLING MOTOR PROPELLER. ON SOME WEED WACKERS YOU CANT DO THIS. I KNOW YOU CANT ON CRAFTSMEN. WELL YOU COULD BUT IT WOULDNT BE AS EASY. I WILL SOON POST THE PICS AND IF ANYONE WANTS TO TELL ME IF THEY MADE A MOTOR OUT OF A CRAFTSMEN WEED WACKER TELL ME, AND TELL ME HOW YOU DID IT. :smile: :thumbsup:
WHATEVER YOUR HANDS FIND TO DO, DO IT WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT.

ECCLESIASTES 9:10
DUCKANDBUCKAHOLIC
hunter

Postby Grant48 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:03 pm

What kind of boat are you going to be using it on? And how fast could a weed wacker motor push a boat? I'd imagine is would be about the same as a trolling motor, right?
Grant48
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:37 am

I would think a little faster than a trolling motor, but I could be wrong. Those little 2stroke motors can turn some pretty big rpm's.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby UT Greenhead » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:02 am

Half the problem will be matching a prop with the motor. If you use a trolling motor prop you probably won't go any faster than a regular trolling motor would push you. If the weedwacker has enough muscle to push a small 3-5 hp prop you might have something. Remember, it doesn't matter how fast you spin a prop, if it's a low pitch prop you're just wasting fuel.
“You can agree with me or you can be wrong!”
UT Greenhead
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:10 am

Gotcha UT. :thumbsup:
gsphunter
hunter

Postby buster_22 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:34 am

Isn't that week wacker motor going to be really loud? If i used a weed wacker motor where i hunt i would be shot going across the lake. Lets see some pictures I gotta see this. I hope it works :salude:
Never stand down wind of Buster "the spitter" 22 when he is calling on his SMM ! :laughing:

courtesy of Admin2 :thumbsup:
buster_22
Pro Hunter

Postby DUCKANDBUCKAHOLIC » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:59 am

I HAVENT GOT IT ALL DONE YET BUT ITS NO LOUDER THAN AN NORMAL OUTBOARD. THANKS FOR THAT INFO I MIGHT TRY A 5HP PROP. :thumbsup:

DUCKANDBUCKAHOLIC
hunter

Postby Grant48 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:39 am

buster_22 wrote:Isn't that week wacker motor going to be really loud? If i used a weed wacker motor where i hunt i would be shot going across the lake. Lets see some pictures I gotta see this. I hope it works :salude:

Agreed, I'd like to see this too. To me, it seems like it would be making alot of noise, with not alot of "go". I'd think that just buying a trolling motor would make more sense. I could be wrong though.
Grant48
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:00 pm

Ive heard of it before, i wanna see it.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby bubba1 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:03 pm

I did this last year to push a small skiff around. The motor was a Ryobe, the prop from from a trolling motor. The problem is the centrfugal clutch. It will wear out very quickly, cann't handle the torque.

Send my your email address, and I will send you some pic. Heck, pay for postage and I will send you the prop end, I kept the motor after replacing the clutch.

Bubba1
There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the potatos and gravy.
bubba1
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:24 pm

the 2 stokes put out some RPM's, but how well do they handle the load? it would seem that it would bog down rather easily.

hmm...interested in some pics and a run down on how it finally worked. it has some possibilities.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby DUCKANDBUCKAHOLIC » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:00 pm

I TRYED IT OUT TODAY AND IT DID PRETTY GOOD. UP UNTILL THE POINT THE TAIL CAME LOSE. BUT THAT WAS ONLY BECAUSE IT WAS LOOSE IN THE FIRST PLACE. THE SPEED WAS A LITTLE SLOW BUT, IM GONA TRY PUTING ON A BIGGER PROPELLER. OUTHER THAN THAT IT WORKED PRETTY GOOD. THIS PARTICULAR PROP WOULD WORK GOOD WITH A SNEEK BOAT. BUT AS FAR AS A 16 FOOT JOHN BOAT IT WAS ALITTLE SLOW. :thumbsup:

DUCKANDBUCKAHOLIC
hunter

Postby buster_22 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:00 pm

post a picture of the motor............ I have to see this :thumbsup:
Never stand down wind of Buster "the spitter" 22 when he is calling on his SMM ! :laughing:

courtesy of Admin2 :thumbsup:
buster_22
Pro Hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:57 am

most weed wackers are shaft driven by a flex shaft and lightly attached and not made for that kind of load. I bet this is one of the first things to fail. 30cc is also about 1.5 HP and maybe a 40 thrust motor with the correct prop.

IMO failure rate might be a problem as well as noise. The only up side it lighter weight from not needing a battery.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dcduckhunt » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:29 pm

my 10 footer would cruise. it can only handle a 3 horse. i think im going to make one out of a straight shaft.
dcduckhunt
hunter

Postby Deadeye_youth » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:54 pm

Yeah I just got done working on one of these the first problem I came across was the motor would totally shut off once the propeller was in the water so i took the coil shaft out and got a 1/4" steel rod and then cut the shaft of the weedwacker straight but now it vibrates to much and the rod falls out inside the weedwacker Im still working on it might buy another rod and try it again but I dunno i think its just easier to use a outboard :smile:
Deadeye_youth
hunter

Postby Deadeye_youth » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:54 pm

I even attached my trolling motor mount to it so i could attach it to the boat so Im hoping i can get this thing working
Deadeye_youth
hunter

Re: WEED WACKER MOTOR

Postby DUCKSHOT » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:11 pm

DUCKANDBUCKAHOLIC wrote:IM BUILDING A MUD MOTOR OUT OF A 32cc WEED WACKER. WHAT IM DOING IS TAKING OF THE WACKING PART AND PUTING ON A TROLING MOTOR PROPELLER. ON SOME WEED WACKERS YOU CANT DO THIS. I KNOW YOU CANT ON CRAFTSMEN. WELL YOU COULD BUT IT WOULDNT BE AS EASY. I WILL SOON POST THE PICS AND IF ANYONE WANTS TO TELL ME IF THEY MADE A MOTOR OUT OF A CRAFTSMEN WEED WACKER TELL ME, AND TELL ME HOW YOU DID IT. :smile: :thumbsup:

What happened to the motor??
DUCKSHOT
hunter

Postby Deadeye_youth » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:59 am

I dunno about his but I gave up for this season maybe this coming summer when i have some time on my hands I will buy another peice of rod and try it out again. I cut the rod to short my last try and the rod kept popping out when it would get started.
WHACK EM' AN STACK EM'
Deadeye_youth
hunter

weedwacker/mudmotor

Postby stualaska » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:56 pm

The weedwacker runs high rpm with low torque. The trolling motor prop needs low rpm and high torque. To be efficient you will need a gear or belt reduction to increase the torque to the prop. Been there/done that.
Too many rivers, Too little time
stualaska
Newb

Postby Captain16 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:53 am

I would love to see a boat come motoring down a river with a weed wacker engine. Does sound like a good idea though. Just not worth the time making it work.
Captain16
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds