Paint Question

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Paint Question

Postby CLUTCHfan » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:19 pm

I got a gallon of paint for my boat from the store the other day, and when I got home I realized the guy mixed latex paint instead of oil. We tested a small patch of it on the boat, and it looks alright, but I'm not sure If I should paint my boat with it or go back and get oil based like I originally intended. My boat is aluminium. Also, I plan on using the camo spray paint with stencils I am making and am not sure if there will be a problem putting one on top of the other (latex and oil). Also, will primer make a difference? I don't know much about paint. Any help is appreciated.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby lars » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:07 pm

Clutch- as in the band?
lars
hunter

Postby bubba1 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:14 pm

I am no paint expert, but I won't use anything but oil on something outside. And they make primer for a reason.

So I would first prime it, with a good primer ($$$$) then paint it with an oil paint.

Just my 2 cents.

Bubba1
There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the potatos and gravy.
bubba1
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:04 pm

lars wrote:Clutch- as in the band?

Yeah.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby HaydenHunter » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:46 pm

Here is how the custom boat companies paint new raw aluminum:

1) Solvent wipe
2) Acid etch
3) Primer with etching capability
4) Alkyd (oil-base) paint

I have heard of latex sticking to homemade boats that were roughed up, but... you will never be able to put alkyd over latex if you don't like it.

A paint store with chemical coatings / protective coatings emphasis or experience is the best source. Both custom boat builders I deal with buy their paint from Sherwin-Williams...not the garden variety store but one of their CC stores (Chemical Coatings Division). There are other high-quality brands such as ICI Dulux (Devoe Paint) and Pittsburgh as well. They both have stores in many areas.

Good luck.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby daffydead » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:23 am

primer is a must! sand your boat, primer it,sand it again, paint it. latex is not a problem if is made for aluminum, save yourself some money and ask yor paint dealer if they have any mis tints that would be close to the color that your looking for, it's alot cheaper that way. you must sand inbetween each coat in order for it to stick well
if your gonna shoot at it, shoot it dead!
daffydead
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:38 am

Unfortunately I painted the boat last month, however I'm going to need to do it again (probably this spring) because I listened to the guy who sold me the paint. I do have to do it again though, so please keep the ideas coming.

Thanks
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby duckslayer1021 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:46 pm

Here is what I did when painting my 16' boat. I went to walmart and bought about 15 cans of their cheap primer, and then some cans of Krylon camo paint in the green color. .98 a can! I used paint stripper on my boat to get all of the old paint off of it first, then washed it off good with water and let it dry. I then primered the whole boat with the cheap paint. We have alot of grey looking timber here, so it worked well here. I used that as a base, then I held up branches against it and sprayed the green over the top of the branches to get a branch pattern. I did that all over the boat, and have had ALOT of compliments on it at the boat ramps. Just a cheap way to do it, and it has lasted 2 seasons now, and I can swear to you, I'm not easy on my boat during season!

Emerson
Guns kill people like the spoon made Rosie O'donnell FAT!
duckslayer1021
hunter

Postby gmcbiker » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:14 am

Since we customize old cars and trucks, here is the proper technique for painting and repainting an aluminum boat. Always scuff with scotch brite. If you are repainting, make sure all old paint has been removed from boat. You can use aircraft stripper or graffiti remover to help. After scuffing entire surface, apply 2 coats of a self-etching (acid) primer. Let it flash (dry) off 20 minutes between coats. I would recommend getting a single stage automotive paint. It will hold up better in your conditions. They even make a flattening agent to keep it from being shiny. Apply 2 -3 coats with 30 minutes of flash time between coats. Let the entire boat dry for approximately 24 hours. You are good to go!

By the way, make sure temperature where you are painting is in the 60 - 70 degree range so that the paint will adhere!

Happy Hunting :thumbsup:
Semper Fi
gmcbiker
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds