Help with Foam Layout Boats

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Help with Foam Layout Boats

Postby BAMAblackduck » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:42 pm

I am looking for info on the Foam DIY Layout Boats.

I am thinking about building 2 or 3 of them to use in the rice fields with 12 to 20 inches of water. How durable are they? Does anyone have a Lessons learned you could share on these foam boats?

Also I have been looking at the Kara Hummer, is this boat very hard to build?
BAMAblackduck
Newb

Kara boat build

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:58 pm

I think that the Kara layout boat plan is the most or at least one of the most popular do it your self plans on the web. It is possible to build it from stuff from your local builder supply in a couple of days working time. It gives a lot of bang for the buck.

Mark F. Cheney
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby MissedAgain » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:12 pm

For what it is worth...

Look at the Hybrid boats. $200 +/-, 8 ft long, 44 inches wide, 50-65 pounds, plywood & glass - easy construction & very durable. Perfect for what you describe - you want an easy to use, light weight, duck shooting platform... Downside is if you want a dog in there with you - you'll need to make her longer. Free plans - see the Hybrid post on here for the link.

I never could talk myself into building a foam boat. The foam boats are easily punctured with sticks. Heavy for size. Expensive to build. Sometimes it is hard to get the foam. I don't see any advantage to them - they really aren't any easier to build either.

I've seen the KARA boats in person - very nice. Heavy, but nice. I'd do a KARA before I did a DIY foam jobbie.
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby tklikely » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:11 pm

I built the foam DIY boat. It was easy to do. I got the foam for mine from Home Depot and ordered the fiberglass and epoxy online. It cost me probaby around $400 after it was all said and done. The glass and epoxy are the expensive thing. I put some foam in the back of the cockpit to make a dog platform and cut the sides down so the water will drain out off the side. They are very stable (about 46" wide) and 12 ft. long. I haven't weighed it but it is probably around 120 lbs. I bought a canoe caddy from Cabela's to move it around. I don't really see any chance of puncture from sticks, I think it would have to be more of a submerged log if you were motoring along pretty good. I put two layers of 6 oz. cloth on the bottom. I don't have any power to mine so I don't really worry about anything puncturing the bottom but the 2 layers of cloth seem to make it very durable (hopefully I won't find out). You could even add a third layer but that would just add more weight.
Alot of guys on here have built the hybrid and like them. Here are a few pics of mine.
"Hey Griswold. Where do you think you're gonna put a tree that big?"
"Bend over and I'll show you."
"You've got a lot of nerve talking to me like that Griswold."
"I wasn't talking to you."
tklikely
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds