Painting Camo On A Boat

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Painting Camo On A Boat

Postby Loki_762 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:05 pm

My dad just purchased a boat, and I am going to have the task of painting it before duck season hits. Does anyone have any ideas for a good, easy, effective camo job for a duck boat? We will be hunting primarily in tall grass in small potholes of water.
Thanks,
Loki
Never argue with an idiot - first they bring you down to their level, then they beat you with experience.
Loki_762
hunter

Postby UT Greenhead » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:19 am

The best patterns I've seen are done with CamoClad, but they get extremely expensive. Other than that I think the best "do it yourself" is the new Styx River Camo Kit. You can get it from a few different places, and its cost is just under $100. Good Luck!

UTG
“You can agree with me or you can be wrong!”
UT Greenhead
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:05 pm

I personally just paint a base coat (I prefer brown) (make sure you use flat paint) and then make stencils out of cardboard. I then use cans of spray paint to use with the stencils. My paint jobs look pretty decent doing it this way. If you've got access to one of those Wagner power sprayers, they make the base coat real easy and quick to do. Then I'll overlap the different colors and it looks like shading. I just drew up my new stencils I'm going to use on my new rig today. My paint jobs generally cost less than $50 and I can get as detailed as I want. It's also nice when you've done it all yourself and people start complimenting your boat.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:22 pm

remember, that to paint a boat in October and then hunt out of it right away....the chance for paint scrapes/damage etc. is going to be HUGE - you need to have at least a few weeks of curing!!!!!!! I would also highly recommend oil based paint...preferably Pettit or FME. Good luck and make sure your preparation is complete.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:07 pm

My boat was a light brown, kinda tan and i just got black and green paint and painte splotches over the whole boat, leaving some of the brown spots. Then used grass, held it up to the boat and sprayed with black paint. It turned out very well but only lasted about three years. Still there just doesnt look as good.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby cutt-down » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:27 pm

I've used the Reelfoot Custom Camo stencils on mine & few of my friends boats as well. Easy to use & will take you about 3-4 hours to do a 17-18 ft. boat. Only thing I don't like is the krylon paint will fade if you don't put your boat under cover. After a year my boat still has the camo but it's faded. I keep my boat outside. It still looks good though.
cutt-down
hunter

Postby Arkie Farmer » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:36 pm

Cutt,

Does the Krylon wash off it you spill gas on it? I did a boat with spray paint once and was heartbroken when I spilled gas in the boat :eek: I've been using auto-body paint ever since. I shot my new boat with a tintable bed liner and camoed over it while it was still wet. So far I'm really liking it.
Arkie Farmer
hunter

:)

Postby amsrc11 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:47 pm

yeah i had the same task last year. go to a hardware store and get some good paint. believe it or not they even had camo paint. i painted my boat olive drab. then took some maple leaves off the tree and used it as a stincle. worked out great1
amsrc11
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:14 pm

Loki, are you hunting the wet side or the middle of the state? Colors in the Potholes would be different than the Sound.

I am beginning to really like the patterns that break up outlines. I just picked up a boat camo'd in Nat Gear. I think camo down to fine leaf detail appeals to humans but is lost on wild critters. Why do you think the Army uses big blotch camo? It breaks up outlines.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Grant48 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:57 pm

OK, maybe a dumb question...

Is camoing your boat really that important? Why isnt just plain Olive Drab green good enough?

I just bought my jonboat last month, and its solid OD green. Would I really benefit from camoing it?
Grant48
hunter

Postby cutt-down » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:06 pm

Arkie Farmer wrote:Cutt,

Does the Krylon wash off it you spill gas on it? I did a boat with spray paint once and was heartbroken when I spilled gas in the boat :eek: I've been using auto-body paint ever since. I shot my new boat with a tintable bed liner and camoed over it while it was still wet. So far I'm really liking it.

Mine hasn't washed off yet. And it's been on for a year now. I think I'll do my next in Nat Gear. I agree with the blotches comment. Too much detail appeals to hunters.
cutt-down
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:32 am

cutt,

I really like the Nat Gear camo. Only problem is I can't get a fabric blind to match. In their infinite wisdom, Nat Gear is coating their Cordura this year with a coating that cracks when frozen and folded. So MB and presumably others are out of the Nat Gear blind business. I am forced to go back to the mudded MOSG blind over my Nat Gear boat.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby UT Greenhead » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:36 am

HH,

You have a PM!

UTG
UT Greenhead
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:02 pm

Grant48 wrote:OK, maybe a dumb question...

Is camoing your boat really that important? Why isnt just plain Olive Drab green good enough?

I just bought my jonboat last month, and its solid OD green. Would I really benefit from camoing it?

Hope not, because I'm going out in a grey aluminum boat this year. Really, if you have good blind on it though, it shouldn't matter.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby UT Greenhead » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:25 pm

gsphunter wrote:
Hope not, because I'm going out in a grey aluminum boat this year. Really, if you have good blind on it though, it shouldn't matter.

:withstupid: :toofunny:
UT Greenhead
hunter

Postby twin_teal » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:28 pm

If you really want it to look good I'd feather paint it. First paint a base coat of brown or green. Then take a feather duster, dip the end of it in a different color( something found on the marsh) and dab it over the base coat. Dust it with a few different colors and it will look amazing. Did my friends boat like that an it looks unbelievable. Just my two cents

Twin Teal
why have a mud motor when you could have an airboat?
twin_teal
hunter

Postby cutt-down » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:30 pm

HaydenHunter wrote:cutt,

I really like the Nat Gear camo. Only problem is I can't get a fabric blind to match. In their infinite wisdom, Nat Gear is coating their Cordura this year with a coating that cracks when frozen and folded. So MB and presumably others are out of the Nat Gear blind business. I am forced to go back to the mudded MOSG blind over my Nat Gear boat.

Might have a new source on boat blinds. Let me check to see if they have nat gear & I'll let ya know. I really like that nat gear.
cutt-down
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:23 am

A feather duster? Did ya get that one from Martha Stewart? LOL
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned slef-etching primers yet. Kinda pricey stuff but it works. I just bought the stuff they carry at Autozone and painted the old boat up. Matches the original color perfectly and it looks great. I'm not going to worry about camo this year, just build myself a decent blind and be done with it. I refuse to spend $200 bucks on a blind when I KNOW I can build something that will do for a whole lot less. Just gotta get to it, but then again I do have until Thanksgiving!!!
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby Grant48 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:47 pm

Does anyone paint their boat like Army woodland BDU pattern? It seems like it would be easy to do with a can or two of black and brown spraypaint, onto an OD green boat.

Or how about something like this? I like the look...

Grant48
hunter

Postby weedsnager » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:09 pm

camo clad! :salude:
weedsnager
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds