Major trailering problem....HELP!!!!!!

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Major trailering problem....HELP!!!!!!

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:38 pm

O.K., guys.........season opens on Saturday, and I can't get the lights on my trailer to work!! I had a new plug installed on my vehicle back in June, and it worked just fine this past summer in July when I took my boat fishing....now the trailer lights on BOTH my trailers don't work, and I can't figure out why. :thumbsdown: I thought it was a ground wire on my duck boat, so I took that apart and cleaned it up and replaced it , but that doesnt seem to be the problem....tried a little corrosion cleaner on the terminals, and that didn't work, either.
Since the lights don't work on either trailer, I am suspecting it is a problem with the vehicle ('99 Chevy Blazer), but before I tear the wiring system apart, is there a way I can check it by hooking up a similar coupling system to a car battery and if so, what wires (green, yellow, brown, white) do I connect to what terminal of the battery. Also, what is the possibility of it being a bad fuse, and if it might be a bad fuse, where should I look for that (where in the fuse box are the trailer lights usually connected?)
I'm hoping you can help be get out for opening day....otherwise I'm sunk! Thanks in advance!
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby flint4045 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:18 pm

The white wire I generaly the ground wire. I would take a test light hook it to the ground and check the other three terminals to see it it will light. You will need a helper to work the lights in the truck while you check at the connecter. If you still have no power try a different ground spot to see if it is the ground wire. If you have an old body style truck the feed is normaly dropped out from the lights from the truck and do not have seperate fuses. If you have the new body style there is seperate trailer fuses in the underhood fuse box and instrument panel box both. Best to look in your owners manual for fuse locations. I would also trace the trailer wires up to where they are tied into the body harnes most times the proublem is there. NAPA makes a nice trailer harness for older chevys where you unplug the tail lamp harnes at the rear of the vehicle and put a t connector between the factory plugs. You say you have a 99 blazer so you most likely do not have seperate fuses for a trailer. If your tail lamps work you most likely have a connection proublem to the connector. Pm me and I will give you more info. best done by phone.
I work for a chevy dealer.
flint4045
hunter

Postby Tightline » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:42 pm

If you have a 99' there is a good chance that the trailer harnes is an aftermarket adapter that is simply pluged into the factory wire harness. I have one of these style in my 96' Ranger. It worked perfectly for 4 years and then one day it just stoped working. I put a tester on it and nothing worked, picked up another at Checkers and presto everything worked great. On the flip side my buddy has a 98' and he went through 3 of them in a month. The one that I have had the best luck with is made by Resse I belive and they are about $20 at the auto store.

If that doesn't fix your lights and opening day gets here you could always use the ole' "they were working just fine when I left the house/ lake" excuse. Not the greatest in the world but better than sleeping in on your day off :mrgreen: .

Later
Tight
Tightline
hunter

Postby diverduck » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:53 am

Check all your fuses, the ones in the dash and under the hood. I had the same problem and it was a fuse.
diverduck
hunter

Postby gunman » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:16 am

I took and had an extra plug in around, so I cut it off with about four inches of a tail. then pluged it into the female end on the truck, and tuched the ground wire to the copper side of the light bulb its self, then with the lights on or turn signal on, I touched one wire at a time to the very bottom contact on the bulb and make sure each wire lit the bulb up, once you know thats good you can rule out problems with the truck....

Another thing, on my '99 Tahoe, when I first got it, the lights didn't work either, follow the wire harness back under the truck, and you will see how it comes to a "T" and splices into the wiring system check at the "T" for a broken wire, thats what was wrong with mine, and the guy at the dealership said its a common problem.......
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby KpHonknImRloadn » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:02 pm

its definitely on the truck if both trailers dont work. check the fuses first that is the easiest. Check the Connections where they put the new plug in next, i would bet thats where it is. good luck, i hope my lights work i should go check them now.
KpHonknImRloadn
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:23 pm

O.K. guys....thanks for all the help. I've just rechecked the fuses, they are all intact. I hooked up the trailer again and found that the turn indicators work, and the break lights work, but the running lights don't work...neither the amber or the reds.
What is the next course of action?
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby diver-hunter » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:47 pm

go to bed and get some rest for tommorow :salude:

as long as the brake lights work, id say your in business :mrgreen:
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a 4x4.....we can skin a buck and run a trot line & A Country Boy Can Survive....- Hank Jr.

You do your thing, I'll do mine...- Montgomery Gentry
diver-hunter
hunter

Postby Dogman » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:02 pm

Mr. 16 gauge wrote:O.K. guys....thanks for all the help. I've just rechecked the fuses, they are all intact. I hooked up the trailer again and found that the turn indicators work, and the break lights work, but the running lights don't work...neither the amber or the reds.
What is the next course of action?

Have you checked the ground wire on the truck,many times that is the problem.Make sure the connection isnt rusted.Try stripping back the ground wire and reconnect to good clean wire a couple inches back.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby daffydead » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:08 am

if your truck has a converter on it, check that with a light tester. it could've shorted out, mine did, just replaced it a month ago.
if your gonna shoot at it, shoot it dead!
daffydead
hunter

Postby Sorensen » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:30 am

Try hooking the trailer up to another persons truck, then you will know if it the truck or the trailers.
Sorensen
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds