Duck Hunting Forum banner

Need opinions on an all around good boat

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  HaydenHunter 
#1 ·
I am currently hunting out of tandem kayaks. Great for getting in and out of tight spots. Recently my father-in-law rolled his with my 3 1/2 yr old son in it. A little scary, but for my son it was a big adventure. I am contemplating getting something a little more stable. I want something that is multipurpose I can use with the whole family (there is six of us and a couple of dogs).

I want to be able to hunt, fish (bass and flats) and possibly ski. I am soliciting suggestions on both boat and motor.

#2 ·
With the exception of skiing, I would recommend a 16 ft Jonboat with a 15-25hp outboard.....I have a 15 hp on my 16' boat, and I have pretty much done it all with this boat (except skiing).....and I have gotten it in some pretty tight and shallow places with a push pole.

#3 ·
I'd say go with a 17-18' semi-v console with about a 75-90hp etec. They are very nice boats as far as ride and very stable. I had my 17' crestliner with a 40hp yami on it in 10' waves and i'm still here just to give you an idea of how stable they are. I can run wide open in 8" of water so the boat is perfect for duck hunting. With the bigger motor you'll have no problem pulling up skiers either. Thats what i'd do.

#5 ·
My uncle tells me that he learned to ski behind a jon boat with a 20 horse on it and he's a big ole boy. Said it took a bit to get up but it can be done. I bet you get some strange looks doin this but hey who cares.
If you want an all around boat I think I would go with some sort of Lund. Good fishing boats with a family because of how deep the are and stable. Good duck boats cause the v cuts ice better. And you can get a big enough motor behind it to pull a skier.
Chris

#6 ·
Since you are in FL I would recomend a mud motor and flat bottom boat combo. It would do everything that you ask excluding ski. I've been in FL almost all my life, tried all kinds, and am finally now happy with my Gator Trax and Mud Buddy rig. This set up would be for hunting/fishing in the mucky, grassy stuff in your area, and fishing on the salt water flats to your east. If you mostly hunted for divers out in this area, I'd say you could get away with a semi V of a large size and hp. Then you could pull a skier too.

#8 ·
A pontoon is actually a good idea. I've seen a lot of them camo'd up and with a blind built on top. If you want to go really shallow or in the muck, slap a mud motor on the back and you're in business. I always look at one when I go bass fishing on Toho, it's there in the city marina.

Just not sure how proud the old lady would be riding around in a camo pontoon boat. I know mine wouldn't be......shoot, she'd prolly want it to be pink.

#9 ·
I ran a flat bottom GatorTrax last year and this year I am running a welded Mod-V with crimps on the bottom. Both with 35 HP shorttail mud motors. BIG difference in shallow water ability. I like to push the boat into those "whoops" type dead ends while exploring. These are the places where you run until you run out of water. They are the hidden pockets that hold ducks in our area. You can't get back as far or turned around as easy unless you have a dead flat bottom. From what I have heard, Florida's duck hunting and fishing spots are much the same way. I would agree with Evil Mc that a flatbottom is your best option for these activities.

For big water and waves, you can't beat something with a V. That's why I decided to try one this year. A heavy flatbottom such as a GatorTrax, GoDevil, LegendCraft or Southern Duck Boat will be very safe by virtue of it's weight but it will pound you and the waves, getting you wetter in the big stuff.

There is no perfect, all-around boat. If you absolutely want one boat for all activities including skiing then a mod-V with console and outboard on a jackplate would be good. If you can cut out the skiing my vote is for the flat bottom boat.

I have had my mod V out hunting twice in the month I've had it. I got a fellow coming over to look at it today. If he buys it I am going back to a GatorTrax.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.