Pete' check out this shoveler

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Pete' check out this shoveler

Postby Delta Hunter » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:34 pm

I saved this as a reference for this winter. I think this is one of the best looking mounts i've ever seen. Wish I had done it. I told you I was working on sculpting eye rings for my Wood Ducks. Here is a picture of my first one. Question, what color do you use on them?

Delta Hunter
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:54 pm

Chuck,
I think a better question would for me to ask you what color you used for your Woodie's eye ring. Like I stated before, I never used anything but a Flex-Eye for my Woodies, and definately like the color you went with.

The Shoveler looks great! (even though they eat poop Cast-n Blast) I'd have a hard time actually picking a favorite bird, but the shoveler (in plummage) is one of the most colorful!

Has your season started in Mississippi yet, Chuck? I shot three drake Woodies that are at least 4 year old birds. These birds have zero pinfeathers, and the largest crests I have ever seen. So much for shooting those early season birds and not being pretty. It seems as if the dry weather had something to do with earlier than usual "good looking" birds around these parts. The Mallard drakes have full green heads as well. I also shot a hen Ringneck that was actually perfect as well. That was a bonus bird. One I actually needed for my collection. I'm hunting the last 2 days of our season (December 3rd and 4th) on the Mississippi River, so I'll send you a message when the migration goes into full tilt. Hopefully not before or after our season ends! :thumbsup: A little side note, we don't shoot all the birds before they can make it to you boys. The season starts so early here that the season usually ends right as the birds are really on their migration, and us northern boys don't shoot many birds in this state. Trust me, we'd love to have the hunting that you Delta hunters have. Until the big push, the birds will have to wait for me, because the deer season is just starting to amp up, and like most Wisconsinites I have Deer on the brain. I have a 180 inch class buck running the woods that I'm hunting. I hunted tonight, and passed up a 100 inch eight pointer at 15 yards. Good luck, Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Delta Hunter » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:17 am

Congrats on the hunt. We don't start untill around the first of December, but where I hunt it's usually after the first of the year. The later, the better. Our best hunting weather is generally the 2nd or 3rd week of January. As with you, it's deer hunting first.
The eye rings were made with Magic Sculpt. I found that if you let it set for about 15 to 20 minutes, then roll it thin, place on eye and shape with a wet artist brush, it works really well. I like it a lot better than Flex eyes. The color I used was Gill Red. It was a lot eaiser than I expected.
Delta Hunter
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:07 pm

Thanks Delta. I'll put that one in my notes!
Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum