A horrible turkey

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

A horrible turkey

Postby Penguine » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:08 am

First I have no pictures, with that said...

I went to my taxidermist this past weekend to drop off a pretty greenhead a buddy of mine had popped. we usually hang out and talk with him for an hour or so about the next hunt, invites, etc. He had this turkey on the table that he was working on and he was very upset about it. Seems this person came up to South Dakota for Buffalo and Turkey hunting. He wanted this turkey mounted and Doug tried and tried to tell him the turkey was not worth mounting. It had all of its underfeathers (what are they called?), the tail was not fully developed, the wing feathers looked terrible, etc, etc, etc. The man insisted and paid Doug a rush fee and extra money to actually mount it. He is having to mount it in a flying position cause the way the bird was shot. After listening to Doug for a bit talk about this turkey I actually felt bad for him. He does great work, he has mounts on disply locally in Wal-Mart and I think one or two in Scheels. This person in Texas is going to get this turkey and when he decides he does not like it, well you can only imagine what he might say about Doug.

In short, if you shoot a crap animal and your taxidermist tells you it is not worth mounting take their advice and do not mount it. breast it out, carve it for steaks, whatever. Or if you do insist on mounting it then be prepared for what you get back.
Penguine
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:35 am

You hit the nail right on the head! :salude:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby terryg » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:58 am

doug shouldhave been little more professional and told the boy to take a walk.

i am sure he is good but he does not take himself(doug) as seriously as he should. his name will be attached to that bird forever.

he must have been hardup for the dollars :thumbsdown:
terryg
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:23 pm

It is certainly sound advice. Listen to the expert. If they say it'll look bad, it will look bad. What's worse, tell a fella' to take a hike or mount a bird that is in bad shape for mounting? Fact is, I'm sure Doug is a nice guy and does quality work. That's not being disputed. But he dug himself a hole when he accepted the offer.
Then again, who knows...maybe the guy will like his bird. Maybe it has sentimental value to him, especially if it is his first turkey. One can only hope!
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:56 pm

I would of made him sign something that says that I wouldn't guarantee the outcome of his poor choice in specimens and not taking the "experts" advice.
:thumbsup:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:40 pm

:withstupid: :laughing:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Penguine » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:31 am

Trois_beaux_canards wrote:It is certainly sound advice. Listen to the expert. If they say it'll look bad, it will look bad. What's worse, tell a fella' to take a hike or mount a bird that is in bad shape for mounting? Fact is, I'm sure Doug is a nice guy and does quality work. That's not being disputed. But he dug himself a hole when he accepted the offer.
Then again, who knows...maybe the guy will like his bird. Maybe it has sentimental value to him, especially if it is his first turkey. One can only hope!

I was talking to doug today and yes, it seems the turkey has some sentinmental value. It was the guys first and he does not think he will be able to come back to South Dakota to take another one, so with that said it make a bi more sense. On the other hand, the turkey is ugly. I don't know why anyone would want a full mount of an ugly bird.
Penguine
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:16 am

I'm sure taxidermy is like any other business, you can try to tell customers your professional opinion, but if they've made up their mind, there is no changing it. Maybe the guy will be satisfied...thats all that matters.
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby chevyZ71 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:58 pm

well that loser form texas shouldnt do any complaning because doug can stick him to his word. if he insisted to get it mounted he can just tell people he made the horrible choice to get the ugly turkey mounted. besides, why would you want an ugly bird sitting around somewhere all the time and have to look at it......then spend the $ to have it mounted. that guys retarted.
chevyZ71
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum