Taxidery cost?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Taxidery cost?

Postby caduckgunner » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:47 pm

How much do taxidermist usually charge to mount ducks and gesses? A guy in my 4 wheel drive clubs has a wife that does it for arounf $150. Is that a good price? Thanks. :salude:
Spoony sniper!
caduckgunner
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:19 pm

Does she do good work? 150 dollars seems to be a fair price. Alot of variables when it comes to cost.

Some of the reasons for cost difference;

1. The area of the world you live in. A taxidermist in rural Pennsylvania (with alot of the market share being consumed by several taxidermists) or California with the cost of everything (including taxidermy) being higher than most of the world.

2. The quality of your work. Are you a Master taxidermist, who will spend the time needed to complete a quality project. (Don't get me wrong, the best taxidermists in the world are hobbiests), or are you a first time taxidermist who's not schooled on the finer points of taxidermy.

3. Last but not least. What are you willing to pay!

I'd check out her work, before taking a bird to her. If she does good work, than I think 150 dollars (or more) sounds good to me! I'd ask her if she uses artificial heads, does she inject the feet, does she use (quality) glass eyes, does she own a flesher, a tumbler, and an airbrush. Typically when a taxidermist uses, or owns these tools, they tend to do a quality mount. The key word being "tend"! I hope your specimen turns out good!
Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:58 pm

Here is how I look at it, I shoot lots of birds a year, I am very very picky about what goes on the wall, so obviously that bird holds a special reason and I want it to look good, so I really could careless what the cost is as long as it turns out good and is what I want, I am fortunate, my taxi does excellent work and I know him personally so my cost is not bad at all, but either way, I'd pay double if I had to so I could get good quality work, I see to many mounts that don't look good/natural that cost a little much in my opinion
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:52 pm

It's been addressed at least a hundred times now, you get what you pay for. If it sounds cheap, then guess what? The work will almost always be as well.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:40 pm

150 sounds good. :thumbsup:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:52 pm

An average price for the central NC area are $195 on puddlers/divers, $225 on brant/eiders, $275 for snows/ross'/small canadas/etc, and $300 and up for canadas. Those prices include driftwood. . You can find em cheaper. I know a guy that does ducks for $75... But, you get what you pay for.
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum