sewing holes

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

sewing holes

Postby brdprey » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:44 pm

when you do a mount at what number of holes do you realize its got to many .
if thats not a problem what is the best way to sew these up with out it looking like my mount has a sudden case of cists.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:10 pm

Quite often you don't need to sew up holes at all. Tony Finazzo said he won't even sew up a hole if it a dime size or smaller. I hate to give up all his secrets, but he posted this on a public forum, so he won't be too upset if I revealed some of his secrets. He also uses a piece of fabric softener sheet to seal up larger holes, in conjunction with superglue. I guess he uses them as a patch. I personally sew up most holes for fear of caulk bleeding through. Too often the problem isn't the shot made by the hunter, nor the mouth of the dog, but more likely how aggressive we are on the wire wheel flesher. I will say that most every specimen is mountable, if a few criteria are met. A well plummed, mature, not too badly shot bird is usually salvagable, but isn't always worthy of "flying" mount, but will usually look at least decent as a standing mount.

Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby brdprey » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:35 am

i was finishing up a scaup last night and decided to try this one.......way to many holes........well see how it looks tonight.........or in a week.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum