Freezing Ducks

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Freezing Ducks

Postby hoppy » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:42 pm

I was wondering why you put the heads under the wing when you freeze the duck?
hoppy
hunter

Postby QUACKADDICT » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:52 pm

you tuck the head under the wing to protect it..the neck gets very brittle when frozen and if not tucked can break off if bumped or pushed to hard in the freezer..we see it happen every year in the shop so allways make sure to tuck the head
QUACK..QUACK...BOOOOOM
QUACKADDICT
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:36 pm

:withstupid:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby brdprey » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:54 pm

ok, got one for the experts.
well take my latest for instance. its a red breasted merganzer. i did one back in my jr high days.
but, how often can you freeze and refreeze a duck.
well it comes to my attention that a merganzer body isnt readily available so i will remove it , take somepics and measurements etc.
no guarantees ill have a body right away.
as well as my neighbor asked me, when im fleshing the skin and i run out of time in a day can i refreeze the skin and continue another night with out harm. i told him i didnt see why not.
what is a good rule of thumb for how many times to refreeze it.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:05 am

Freezing isn't the problem, as much as thawing, and dehydrating. As long as you don't allow bacteria in when you are thawing to ruin the skin, you can freeze as many times as it takes. Also, don't re-freeze and allow too much air in the bag that you freeze your skin in, or you will dehydrate the skin, and it will not remain soft and plyable. What I do is this. I skin the birds, maybe 10 at a time. I take all my body and neck measurements for my order (try Tony Finazzo or Frank Newmeyer, they carry a large selection) I vacuum wrap them in a Food Saver, and re-freeze them. The next time I get them out, I thaw them in cold water or at room temperature. I de-fat them, I wash them, and re-freeze them in their original (cleaned) bag. Leave them wet, and vacuum wrap them again. You will have to put a piece of paper towel at the opening of the bag to suck up excess water to make a proper seal. Once you have done this, these skins will last a very long time. Basically they are frozen in a block of ice, and take up very little space in the freezer. I wouldn't think it would hurt to freeze and thaw your duck/skin for every step of the skinning and fleshing process. Just don't let them get too warm during these steps.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum