A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Postby Wilsona018 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:28 pm

Last edited by Wilsona018 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilsona018
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:50 pm

Unless taxidermy is something you have a genuine interest in, I would just save my money until I had enough to get it done professionally. If you have the bird well wrapped in the freezer, it should keep at least a year. I would say it took me about 10-12 birds before I did one that is even considered acceptable. Bird taxidermy is difficult and I encourage anyone that is interested to pursue it, but don't use it as a means to save $.

The $11.99 duck kit will work, but I'd recommend just ordering a video first. Then, once you're ready, order the necessary materials/kit. I use the artificial heads.. I think they ar ebetter than using the real skull. But, I know some awesome taxidermists that use that real skull. Try a bird with each method and see what you like better. Good luck.
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby brdprey » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:55 am

i will have to agree. im a recent come back to the world of taxidermy and am gathering info constantly. if you have questions another good site for reference and many difent opinions is the taxidermy.net forums. but as stated above, if your init for the money. forget it.........youll get halfway thru it and say screw it , and hope they can salvage it. good luck on your decision, we look forward to your input.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby weedsnager » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:13 am

do us all a favor, shoot a few coots and practice on them, you'll only be out 12 bucks and you'll see if you like doing it or not! :thumbsup:
weedsnager
hunter

Postby Wilsona018 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:40 pm

Last edited by Wilsona018 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilsona018
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:01 pm

Ive heard of people keeping ducks in the freezer for 6 years so you have plenty of time to save up! Good luck! :thumbsup:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby chevyZ71 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:55 pm

gooseboy likes to get his point across. HAHA :toofunny:

i just dropped off a couple teal @ the taxisermist's this weekend. he said to always try to get the birds to the shop as soon as possible. one, because it will make for and better mount. two, because if it is left in the freezer to long they will dry out and become harded for the taxidermist to mount. finally 3, in my opinon, i couldnt wait more than 1 year to take my birds to the taxidermist, because i want them back real soon to enjoy. also the reason above too. but those things i said above will help your mount more enjoyable looking.
chevyZ71
hunter

Postby firebird » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:04 pm

If I was just starting out, I would stay away from waterfowl with all that fat and difficult to paint bills and feet. Try pheasants or chukars from a garm farm first just to get your hands into it and see if it is something you will stick with. The videos are a great idea and on that taxidermy.net websit you can get into Wasco's on-line catalog and find tons of books and videos. Also on that website you can check each state and find if your state has an association. If they do, they will sponsor a competition every year and you could go check that out too.Good luck!
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby chevyZ71 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:52 pm

i would much rather do waterfowl, than upland. besides it's easier for some people to get a hold a ducks than pheasents. if they want to get into waterfowl taxidermy they should probably start out with waterfowl... but hey, everybody has their little thoughts and opinions. :umm:
chevyZ71
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:21 am

The best tip I can give you is to get a good video or find a taxidermist that will teach you. Oh yeah, don't use your prized bird for your first project. If you have specific questions, you can PM me and I'll try my best to help you out.
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby quack_attack » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:04 pm

I just bought a video from Research mannakins with Stephan Savides, its pretty good. I've threatening for twenty years to try taxidermy this might be the year.
If God didn't want you to eat the animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat!
quack_attack
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum