Duck Hunting Forum banner

What do you think?

2K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  BILL COLLECTER 
#1 ·
This is the second mount I have ever done. I would like some honest feed back. Dont sugar coat it if it isnt any good. Thanks Red

See less See more
#2 ·
just your second time! WOW! i dont know anyone who did that good on their SECOND mount. just a suggestion, but if you would want to you could do taxidermy as a side job. thats what my taxidermist does, he's an engineer as his main job. that would be something to consider doing. if i can get into it, and get pretty good at it, i may do it as a side job also. but again great job! :thumbsup:

#5 ·
O.K. you asked not to sugar-coat it, so here we go! Who helped you? I believe that it may be your second bird, but there is no way you did it alone! On the other hand. If you did in fact do it yourself, it looks very nice. Most people have quite a few more flaws in their work when they first start out. Even if you were guided, and had help with positioning, you still have an excellent looking Gadwall! :salude: I can say for sure that my first 10 birds didn't look that nice, but I was definately flying solo! So honestly. How much help did you really get? Don't think I'm calling you a liar, but I'd be very surprised to believe you had no help at all.

James, What do you think?

#6 ·
Its hard to get down to the nitty-gritty without better pics. Its not a bad bird at all. I know lots of "professional" taxidermists whose birds don't look that good. I can say that the wings look like they are too far forward. It also looks like you need to pin your flight web to the shoulder of the form. Again, its not bad at all. If you post more pics from different angles, I will try to give you more feedback. :thumbsup:

#7 ·
Guys that in all honesty is my second mount. I got numerous tips from boards such as this one. I also watched a video by stefan savillas or something like that. I got it from WASCO. It showed how to position the wings with wire and floral wire. I recieved no help besides what i got off the boards. MY first was standing gadwall that looks so-so. I will post it later if yall would like to see. I took my time and had my refrences ready when I mounted this bird. I have yet painted it legs.

I appreciate the replies keep them coming :smile:

#8 ·
I'm no taxi but I do think it looks good, would I take a bird to you no but don't take that the wrong way, I agree with others I have seen "accomplished" taxidermist that did work that didn't look all that great you obviously have a knack for it keep up the good work

#11 ·
Here is the first duck I ever did. I didnt taxi up the neck verywell. I made the neck to long. I didnt put the wings in there pockets. Whole bunch of things I did wrong. That I found out after I watched that video. Give me yalls opinion too if you want.

#12 ·
the best critic is your self........are you happy with it. you have seen the flaws and know what you did with the first one. good for you. that is what pracitce is. you find your mistakes and improve on them. the second mount really is a nice looking mount but the head looks ........well....big.
but if you saw my second you would ask ...what the hell. :thumbsup:

#13 ·
It definitely looks better than your first bird. I can't really give you any more critique based on the new pics. What I would recommend is that you practice some more using reference and then take a piece to your state taxidermy competition. The judge will go over your mount with you. I have learned SO much from getting the judges to critique my mounts.

#14 ·
your first one wasnt bad to the first one you've ever done. of course anyones first bird isnt going to look that good, but you did ok for a beginner in my opinion. i dont know of anyone who has be great doing their first mount.

your second was really nice to me. my friend got one mounted by a pro, and your looks just as good. do you plan to do any others anytime soon? but good job and keep it up. :thumbsup:

#15 ·
Yes I plan On doing a pair of ringnecks in the next couple of weeks or at least before the first of the year. I have a whole bunch of ducks Im going to do for myself. If I screw up its my ducks no big deal. I have no idea if I will try to do it to make money. I just thought it would be fun to give it a go around

#17 ·
RedTx,
Please store those ducks better. I cringe when I see your freezer full of ducks with their necks wanting to snap in half. I know you'll probably get to these soon enough, but while their in your freezer un-wrapped with no protection from dehydration, they become more and more dammaged, and harder by the day to make them look pretty. I know their is a huge misconception that people need to wrap their ducks in a stocking, but any taxidermist would rather see them wrapped up in a minimum or two freezer-bags. Anyone who has mounted a duck knows how much abuse they actually go through, so don't worry about the stocking or nylon. It doesn't hurt, but not needed. The best way in my opinion to freeze a duck, is to first freeze it with it's head either tucked under a wing, or laying over it's breast. You can freeze it with it's neck straight out, but it will be more prone to breakage. once it is frozen, then I take it and vacuum wrap it. The bird will last for years before it becomes "non-do-able". I want to mention that you should never thaw the bird while under vacuum, for some reason it will draw a ton of blood out of the shot holes that ultimately killed the bird. Congratulations on the nice variety of birds. I also think the Drake Shovelor is one of the prettiest ducks when in it's breeding plummage, and your bird doesn't look all that bad. The Bluewing and Greenwing Teal are pretty close as well. I unfortunately live in Wisconsin, and our season ends, and the ice begins long before those ducks are in good color. Where's the Pintail? You do live in texas don't you?

#19 ·
Pete-pec said:
RedTx,
Please store those ducks better. I cringe when I see your freezer full of ducks with their necks wanting to snap in half. I know you'll probably get to these soon enough, but while their in your freezer un-wrapped with no protection from dehydration, they become more and more dammaged, and harder by the day to make them look pretty. I know their is a huge misconception that people need to wrap their ducks in a stocking, but any taxidermist would rather see them wrapped up in a minimum or two freezer-bags. Anyone who has mounted a duck knows how much abuse they actually go through, so don't worry about the stocking or nylon. It doesn't hurt, but not needed. The best way in my opinion to freeze a duck, is to first freeze it with it's head either tucked under a wing, or laying over it's breast. You can freeze it with it's neck straight out, but it will be more prone to breakage. once it is frozen, then I take it and vacuum wrap it. The bird will last for years before it becomes "non-do-able". I want to mention that you should never thaw the bird while under vacuum, for some reason it will draw a ton of blood out of the shot holes that ultimately killed the bird. Congratulations on the nice variety of birds. I also think the Drake Shovelor is one of the prettiest ducks when in it's breeding plummage, and your bird doesn't look all that bad. The Bluewing and Greenwing Teal are pretty close as well. I unfortunately live in Wisconsin, and our season ends, and the ice begins long before those ducks are in good color. Where's the Pintail? You do live in texas don't you?
Hey pete-pec. I shot those ducks last year. Do you think they will be ok? Should I thaw them out and refreeze them? The blue wing Im kind of nervous about doing it, along with the wood duck. Might need some help with some mounting ideas.

Pintails we got them just not were I usually hunt. I have been hunting public this year for the first time ever, maybe ill be lucky enough to tag one. I hunt alot of stock tanks, and the pintails just dont what to be there. I have never even seen one,same goes for a red head.

#21 ·
RedTx,
Yes, those ducks are still salvagable, and if you have trouble with the skins being dried out (which they will be), there are techniques to thawing them to make the skin more plyable. I would suggest freezing them as I suggested. If you haven't snapped any heads off yet, then freezing them as is, is probably the best thing to do. I will skin, flesh, wash, rinse, and freeze still wet in a vacuum bag, and thaw them as needed. I only do it for freezer space. Like ISHOOTDIVERS had said, be careful about possession limits, which is commonly twice the daily bag limit, and posting pictures on a public forum. I would also suggest tagging your birds with the date of kill, your name, address, etc., and since it is from a different year, you should keep a copy of your liscense, and stamps for the pertaining year. Ducks are regulated federally, and the Feds can be some real sticklers! Even if you don't know the rules, always play on the safe side. Get your search engine on, and look up 50 CFR's, and try to make scense of that. But really, there is alot of interesting information in there on the Federal rules and regulations on possession of migratory game birds. More questions? Feel free to ask. I've done alot of research on the topic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.