fleshing

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

fleshing

Postby quack_attack » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:15 pm

After nearly twenty years of putting it off I decided to fulfill my destiny :toofunny: and start trying taxidermy. I watched a video by stephan savides and though it looks time consuming, monotonous, tedious and all other sorts of words, it seems the end product is rewarding and worth it. My question is for fleshing can you use a hand held type of die grinder with a wire wheel or is a stationary one beter?
thanks,
Jeff
If God didn't want you to eat the animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat!
quack_attack
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:28 am

Stationary is much better, but you can use a hand-held flesher, but you're going to be wearing the grease! Try using a cover of some kind. I don't think you'll prevent burn through though, because you should be holding the skin so you can ease into it. O.K. no! You need a stationary fleshing wheel. You can put a drill in a vise with a cover over it to catch grease.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quack_attack » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:38 pm

thanks pete
If God didn't want you to eat the animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat!
quack_attack
hunter

Postby brdprey » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:12 pm

Pete-pec wrote:Stationary is much better, but you can use a hand-held flesher, but you're going to be wearing the grease! Try using a cover of some kind. I don't think you'll prevent burn through though, because you should be holding the skin so you can ease into it. O.K. no! You need a stationary fleshing wheel. You can put a drill in a vise with a cover over it to catch grease.

-Pete

here are some links to some on the market, :thumbsup:

http://www.qualitytaxidermysupply.com/BirdFlesher.html

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/product/01326184/

http://www.taxidermy.com/cat/17/art/R150.jpg

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/product/01009500/

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/product/01326317/
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:15 pm

I ain't a taxidermist (thou I would like to learn it). I seen a taxidermist once with a ply wood box and hinged plexiglass lid over it and holes in the side for his hands so he could us his wire wheel flesher. It reminded me of a sand blaster box. He rigged up some kind of deal so he could control the speed of the wheel with his foot. There was grease everywhere inside that thang. He said until you get the hang of it you WILL wrap hides, hands, and fingers up in it, and it hurts. He told me he lost 5 hide before he figured it out.
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Postby Duckmeat » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:42 am

i do mostly my own birds and im by no means a professional...i do it as a hobby. Given this, i am very meticulous and avoid any grease stains by all costs. I use a dremel with a homemade shield and a very soft wire brush to devour every bit of the membrane and fat. i take my time and do it right the first time. this is time consuming but it gives you confidence when you get some squeaky clean mounts on your first couple...give it a try b4 diving into the wire wheel that has on several occasions eaten my birds..heheh. Good luck
Duckmeat
hunter

Postby brdprey » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:09 pm

Duckmeat wrote:i do mostly my own birds and im by no means a professional...i do it as a hobby. Given this, i am very meticulous and avoid any grease stains by all costs. I use a dremel with a homemade shield and a very soft wire brush to devour every bit of the membrane and fat. i take my time and do it right the first time. this is time consuming but it gives you confidence when you get some squeaky clean mounts on your first couple...give it a try b4 diving into the wire wheel that has on several occasions eaten my birds..heheh. Good luck

I have thought about it but the stupid shield is like 50 bks.......but its cheaper than an entire set up. if youve done it with a dremel than i will try it first.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby wa.duckhunter » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:42 pm

You can make a stationary wire wheel for under $50. I just finished one last month and it is working great. If your interested in the plans send me a pm
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum