ceramic heads

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

ceramic heads

Postby wa.duckhunter » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:46 pm

Have any of you used the ceramic duck heads as you've put your ducks together. I just purchased my first one and realized I need to paint the bills. Any suggestions on how to do that without a spraygun? Can I use spraypaint with a semigloss for the bill of those ducks with solid colored bills? The other question is can I use a hot glue gun or a super glue to attach the hide to the head?

I was so excited with the thoughts of not having to mess with the original head that I didn't take these things into consideration when I purchased the ceramic head. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:08 pm

Although I've never heard of ceramic heads, I use artificial polymer heads, and you'd be better off getting a small set of oil base paints and hand painting them with a nice camel-hair brush. Could you use a spray paint? I guess you could, but quite a few ducks have multi-colored bills requiring some detail, detail you won't get with a spray can. Also an airbrush set isn't too expensive, and worth every penny. Not just for taxidermy, but for painting decoys etc.

You will need to run a wire from the necking to the head, that's the part that surprises me with your ceramic head, which more than likely isn't ceramic, but is a hard polymer head as well. Don't think I'm calling you a liar, just never heard of it. However, that doesn't mean that they don't exist. I could be wrong, and am missing out on the latest and greatest. Most people drill a small hole in the polymer head, and either superglue or hot glue the wire from the necking to the head. Please don't try to glue the scalp to the artificial head, instead, use caulk, it is much more forgiving, and doesn't set up too quickly that you cannot manipulate the skin to the head. If you have any other questions please feel free to re-post, and I'll try to help.

One other thing, Who is the manufacturer of the artificial head you're using? Joe Ferebee, Tony Finazzo, and Frank Newmeyer, are some examples of artificial bird head guys. All of these are polymer type heads.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby wa.duckhunter » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:33 am

Pete, being the technical gooroo that I am :laughing: the heads are more than likely the polymer heads you are referring to, they just look ceramic to me. Thanks for all the tips. The caulking is a great idea. I knew there had to be a better way of doing it then glue.

Do you have any suggestions on a good beginners air brush? I would love to have one, the few I've seen have been pretty pricey.

Thanks again for the help.
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:38 pm

Try Paash, also you may find a used airbrush on taxidermy.net You could look at McKenzie, or VanDykes for some information on airbrushes. They are only pricey if you don't use them, otherwise they're priceless.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum