Habitat Base

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Habitat Base

Postby pistolpete » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:36 pm

Hey guys, fng here. Just wanted some feed back on my table base I made. Been going through a learning curve with this one but I got it done finally. Just need a bird to put on it or I would like to sell it if anyone is interested. Couple of minor blems that I'm not totally happy with but it's my first.
Attachments
IMG_0492.JPG
IMG_0490.JPG
IMG_0491.JPG
pistolpete
hunter

Re: Habitat Base

Postby duxrus » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:00 pm

What "water" did you use ? Looks good but most people want a more winter looking scene for ducks....brown plants. I am not downing your piece by any means. It is clean and nice looking. :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby pistolpete » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:43 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I used some stuff called super glaze. It seemed to work good, just had some issues with small air bubbles. A heat gun seemed to work good for getting rid of them. I have some other ideas for fallish/wintery habitats that I want to build I just haven't started them. One question I got for the taxidermists here, how to you guys feel about mounting birds on pre made bases with water already poured on them?
pistolpete
hunter

Postby duxrus » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:12 pm

"Most" of the artificial waters on the market must be placed under glass or they will just collect dust quickly ruining the base. Envirotex is the olny one I have found that dust won't readily stick too and is easy to wipe off......so if you were wanting to sell them I would make your bases to where a glass/plexi-glass top could be used for protection. IMO :smile:
duxrus
hunter

Postby bluffcountry » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:24 am

I stumbled upon this forum post via Google and saw the photos of the habitat base you made. It inspired me to start making a couple of water scene habitats. It's true, what he said, that a lot of the water scene habitats are enclosed in a case due to dust collecting on the habitat. I love the outcome of the custom base you made. Nice photos too btw. :smile:
Bluffcountry Woodworks LLC, Fountain City, Wisconsin - Your source for quality taxidermy supplies, custom picture frames, and awesome laser engraving services!
bluffcountry
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:26 pm

All I can say about this base is I think you traveled all the way to Utah, found where I shot my wood duck, and took a piece of the environment back with you. I would love to see my wood duck standing on top of that log. This is very, almost exactly identical to where I shot my woodie. Even the fox tail weeds that stuck to my waders are in the display. I don't know much else about the technical stuff, but to me the base looks good!
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby T Man » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:13 am

JuniorPre 360 wrote:All I can say about this base is I think you traveled all the way to Utah, found where I shot my wood duck, and took a piece of the environment back with you. I would love to see my wood duck standing on top of that log. This is very, almost exactly identical to where I shot my woodie. Even the fox tail weeds that stuck to my waders are in the display. I don't know much else about the technical stuff, but to me the base looks good!

x2. Save for the green foliage, it looks exactly like the marsh I hunt when there is a thin layer of skim ice.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum