paints and stuff

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

paints and stuff

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:22 am

Do you all use paints specificly for ducks from places like McKenzie or Van Dykes or do you come up with your own from other paints? Also do you all use air bushes or paint brushes? Thanks.
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:21 am

I use a variety of different techniques on different species. I like Polytranspar for airbrush work. Sometimes, I use the acrylic paints that you get at the craft stores and use paint brushes. I use Minwax wood stain as well. You have to experiment and see what works for you.
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby firebird » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:23 pm

I use an Aztek airbrush and polytranspar lacquer based paints. I believe I got the airbrush from Wasco and I buy my paint from Trufitt, which has a catalog but is in driving distance for me. I also love some brush on paints that I buy at local craft stores as needed. The labels are not readable but I want to say Apple blossom...Airbrush paints let you mix and overcoat and I usually drop some brown or white to adjust things to my liking. Retarder helps when using the acrylic paints. Use REFERENCE when painting anything! Photographs of live reference are the only way go.
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum