Starting taxidermy

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Starting taxidermy

Postby duckweed » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:12 pm

hey guys i want to start mounting my own birds. so i wanted to know what all i will need to do this. i don't want very expensive items but i want something that will get the job done. so any help will be appreciated. so mainly i just need the basics.

Thanks

William
BUY A GUN, PISS OFF A LIBERAL!
duckweed
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:41 pm

duckweed,
I cut and pasted this from the archives under "getting started". hope this helps. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask, and I'd be glad to answer.

a scalpel
a set of curved scissors
a grinder to sharpen the wires
a set of wire cutters to cut the wires
a means of fleshing the fat from the quills (I suggest a motorised flesher, but make sure you are really into this before making that investment.)
a curved 4 inch needle for sewing the cavity shut
a good thread as well
dry preservative (Borax Bleach)
dish soap for cleaning the duck after fleshing
a means of drying the bird after cleaning (blowdryer, or corn cob grit in a garbage bag, or a motor driven tumbler.)
super glue (if you are going to make the "around the bill" incision) (By the way the video probably won't show you this method.)
some painters tape
paper clips
pins and "T" pins
paint
epoxy or clay
a MEASURED artificial foam body (get yourself a seamstress tape)
an artificial head if using this method
Glass eyes
and that is about it. I know it sounds like a lot, but it really isn't that costly to actually mount a bird, just a lot of time and true patience.

-Pete
Last edited by Pete-pec on Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:39 pm

I am just getting started and let me tell ya, when your paying for your OWN birds, money gets tight. I am the type where if I am going to do it I do it all out or nothing. It may not be the latest and greatest but I will buy it or make it myself if needed. My paint order alone will run me 180$ which will be ordered thursday. :salude: I love it and really don't know squat and really haven't done squat yet. I used to trap and so this has trapping and bird hunting all wrapped up into one. I liked fleshing out critters listening to the radio lost in my own little world, so I believe this will be a good one for me, only if you get good the money is alittle better.
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum