THANK YOU

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

THANK YOU

Postby dukaddict » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:15 pm

All I can say is WOW
There is some great advice here
I`ve done a few birds and am ready to try using an artificial head and had some questions but I found everything I wanted to know by searching around
Thank you so much
This kind of info is invaluable for a newbie like me
I started out a few years ago by ordering a video and talking with some local taxidermists who were also very helpful
You`re a good group of guys
I can`t wait to get on my projects, I haven`t done any the past couple of seasons, long story about a ex-fiancee who wouldn`t let mounts in the house and a lab puppy who got let in the extra room while I was at work and found some of my work to his taste-literally
kind of discouraged me
but I`m ordering up some supplies so I`ll be ready to go once season ends

I just have one question for now, what kind of caulk do you recommend?

Here`s the first project I did
"Wood Duck statues"
I tried to make it look like that instant they percieved danger but I should have just gone with a more relaxed look

and some others

the hen mallard was my favorite it took 8 hours, I have an idea for a pose when I start but they kind of seem to take on a life of their own once I get going
she was doing some kind of stretch showing off her jewelry

the last pair I did was these mallards, my first attempt at flyers
Pop confiscated them after I was done airbrushing and put them up in a room where no one ever sees them
The next time I came over he`d changed the positioning I told him that looks totally unnatural, they were supposed to look like they were landing, the drake was commited but the hen decided to make another pass or land a little farther out and make the drake swim to her
I need to figure out a way to get them back but he loves them so much I just can`t do it
I do need to finish the hen`s bill........

I always thought it was such a waste to just toss the ducks after they were cleaned and if I could preserve a little bit of their beauty it`d be worth it
Still so much to learn
practice practice practice
someday I`ll get it right
I`d love to see some pics of your work all of you I`ll poke around some more and see what I can find
dukaddict
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:34 pm

Dukaddict,
I'm glad we can help. Caulk? Latex. Color? It really doesn't matter, you aren't going to see it anyhow. I use white or clear. I like to use it in the neck, wings, and the head, back, and pocket feathers to hold everything in place once I've positioned everything to my liking. I totally agree with you that the birds take on a pose of their own when it gets right down to the positioning. I have many time ended up with a totally different pose than my original intent, but as long as the end result looks like a live bird, then it's all good. I like to name my positions as well. I like it when you can explain the look your going for to someone, then they totally see what you're saying. I think your work looks great, and the alert Woodies look as if they saying to each other: "If you want to get the Hell out of here, I'm right behind you!" Nice looking diorama!

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dukaddict » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:50 pm

Thank you
Ducks are my first and longest lasting love

The diarorama mostly survived Buck the wonder pup, some of the plants are trashed and both birds are missing a wing but at least they didn`t end up a pile of feathers like the others

Building habitats is an entirely seperate art form but it kind of goes along with the mount I want to do more than the typical wood base but dang some guys are doing awsome work in that area
still so much to learn

I can see where the caulking would be a great help,do you use it instead of the clay to rebuild the facial muscles and plump up the other areas? or kind of as an extra measure

I`ll have to play around with that, like I said I gave up for a few years so this is a new technique to me,I`m always looking for other ways to do things,tried and true works fine but sometimes there`s other ways that work just as well if not better. I`m not afraid to try new things.

Like the guy that told me that dawn works just as well as "degreasing detergent" and that he uses parts cleaner to degrease his skins and you can also use mineral spirits, kerosene etc. instead of commercially sold degreaser (I found parts cleaner and kerosene too smelly) oh, and go to a crafts store and get the stuffing they use for quilts and stuffed animals to use in different areas etc.
I kind of take what everyone tells me and find out what works for me

I really apprecitate all the advice
dukaddict
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:53 pm

The caulk is actually there to bond the artificial head in place. If for example, you were doing a Woodie or Hooded Merganser, you can lay a bead of caulk to help support the crest in place. I use gel superglue to actually bond the skin to the bill of the artificial head, but just enough to hold it in place nearest the bill of the artificial head. The caulk will keep everything in place once it has bonded. It really makes the feathers look ultra-smooth. If you use caulking on the head, you have ample time to manipulate the skin around the eyes, and no other glue is needed. If you use an artificial head you won't need to add any facial muscles, because the skull is casted from a real head which has all the detail already in place. If you haven't used an artificial head before, then take the plunge and try it. You'll be more than satisfied with the end result, and your fleshing will become greatly improved, because you can invert the skin completely. Unlike the neck/head inscision where it is difficult to do an adequate fleshing job. Keep them coming, I love to help.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dukaddict » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:50 pm

That makes sense I didn`t think about the musculature being on the head
I hate "de-braining" the head and getting the tounge out then rebuilding everything with clay only to have it slip when reinverting the skin :pissed:
trying to keep the incision on the far side only to have it end up on the outside when posing etc.

You accept paypal?? :laughing: you just saved me $20
I was going through my catalogs and just got online to order Newmyer`s Pintail video where he uses an artificial head.

I won`t tell him if you won`t

I use gel superglue for everything it`s one the best inventions ever
right up there with jb weld and duck tape
dukaddict
hunter

Postby dukaddict » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:01 pm

I`m going to dig up that video I have and do some brush up studying

I have a pair of Cinnamon and Redhead bodies/necks & eyes in a box somewhere (too many moves the last few years but I`m sure I still have them) and I`ll need the heads & other misc. stuff before I can get started so it`ll be a couple of weeks which is ok `cause season runs until the 29th

I`m sure I`ll have more questions then

Thanks so much
Anthony
dukaddict
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:04 am

Anthony,
We all know that Frank Newmeyer is a Master in his field, and it may be an invaluable tool to actually have that video. I believe openwaterhunter2 (Danny) actually owns that same video. Have you ever made the inscision around the bill? If you have any questions please feel free to give me a shout. Meanwhile go out and get yourself some of those beautiful Puddlers that you boys have out there in Cali. If I lived out there, I'd for sure have a Drake Shoveler on my wall. Probably one of the prettiest "trash ducks" that you have out there. Now I know where I can maybe get a few specimens if I may need one. Hint hint!

Good luck,

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dukaddict » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:45 pm

He is the MASTER

I`ve never skinned a head all the way, just did my first full skin off the head on a deer this fall

What is the bill incision?
I think I`ll get that video anyways for reference I`m sure it`ll prove invaluable

Anyone who shares knowledge like this deserves to be rewarded :yes:
I just got into some spoonies last time out for the first time unfortunately I didn`t think about mounting the cool drake until later and after closer examination there were several bald spots where Jake licked the feathers off I didn`t feel I could fix, it`s too bad to he was kind of unusual I should have taken better care of him

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=14186

But the hen was a very nice specimen I saved her, the others were immature, now I`m on a quest to get her a partner or two
When I was into it before I always kept a couple of stocking legs in my coat just in case I got something good

I always thought shovelers were cool too even though the mallard "snobs" wait, that`s too harsh,"purists" look down on them for some reason
If I get any good ones before the end of season I`ll let you know.

It`s funny I just saw a group of about 17 on the way home from work today which is kind of unusual because they don`t usually stage around here

Most of them migrated already but I haven`t hunted down in the valley I guess it`s time to head south
dukaddict
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:25 am

Anthony,
The funny thing about the Bluewing Teal and the Shoveler, is they are the first to return from their winter migration in the spring, and quite often cross-breed with various ducks. I have no doubt that you had a cross between the BWT and the Shoveler. It does seem a bit strange that the bird only took on one characteristic of the BWT. Although they both have the large bill, so the BWT got drowned out by the Spoonie. That would have been a nice specimen to have. I have almost the entire North American collection of Waterfowl, but not a single Cross in the bunch. I know exactly what you're talking about when a dog licks one of your birds to death.

The inscision around the bill is exactly that. You cut exactly around the bill and invert the skin from the head backwards towards the ears of the duck. Once you get past the ear holes, you've skinned plenty to perform the artificial head procedure. Use a slight bit of caution when working around the initial start of the eye nearest the duct. Once you have it skinned, you can get an accurate neck measurement and flesh the duck with ease!

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum