tanning

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

tanning

Postby bnew » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:30 pm

I've always cured my hides with salt. I want to try and tan them. Can anybody tell me what the process of doing so is?
bnew
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:21 am

Ducks and european mounts are all I know, and don't pretend to know fish and mammals. Maybe Mr. Parish can help you out on this one?

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby brdprey » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:58 am

unfortunately i myself am going to try this as well. i got a kit from sportsmans wharehouse for 15 dollars so well see if it any good.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:42 am

I would recommend you get a good tanning kit. McKenzie Taxidermy Supply sells a kit that has a video and all the chemicals you'll need. I think the cost is around $25-30, but I'm not sure. You can call them (1-800-279-7985) and they can tell you what they've got.

Here is the basic process (different types of tans will vary)
1. Remove red meat/fat from hide. Turn/split ears, lips, etc, if tanning for a mount.

2. Salt heavily (rub in tight areas good), roll hide up, place on incline to drain for 24hrs.

3. Shake off old salt and apply fresh salt and lay hide flat (or hang) for 24 hrs or you can wait until it has dried hard.

4. Submerge hide in a solution of salt water (at least 1lb. per gallon) with a capful of Lysol (brown bottle) until the hide is completely relaxed (may take 24hrs or longer if you let it dry hard, just keep a watch).

5. Rinse the hide in cool water and place into pickle solution (1 lb salt, 1/2 oz Safetee acid per gallon of water). pH should be 2.0 or less. I like 1.5 range

6. Let hide pickle for a day or 2 checking that pH is below 2. Remove the hide from the pickle and drain well. I usually roll it in a towel to help get more moisture out. Thin the hide down.

7. Place back in pickle 24hrs.

8. Remove skin from pickle, rinse in cold water and drain. Place skin in a neutralizing bath (1oz baking soda per gal. water). Soak for 30min to 1 hr.

9. Either rub tan on (if using McKenzie tan or Liqua-Tan) or submerge skin in tan (if using Lutan, EZ100, etc)

10. Depending on if you want a soft tan or if you are going to mount the hide, etc. the directions vary greatly from this point on.

Good luck
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum